Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
I was blessed enough to be able to buy myself a 2109 Ram 2500 4x Laramie, now Im shopping shells/caps.
Do any of you guys have any experience with Snugtop and or ARE ?
If so what's your opinion....Thanks.
laramie.jpeg

Reactions: kbray001

Weberied556

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 10, 2017
California, West Covina
Name
Peter
Boat
If it floats around fish, take my money
Congrats! If i were to do it over again with the camper on my tundra, i would get the camper with side windows that lift so you can access the truck bed from the sides as well and not only just from the tailgate. Mines is a snugtop. I think any brand works, just depends what bells and whistles you want.

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
Thanks Peter.

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
I have had two snugtops. One on my previous tundra and that one was excellent. I liked it so much I went with another one on my 2017 Tundra. This one doesn’t seem to be built as well as the older one was. I have several paint chips on the sides of the shell. No idea how they got there. And I have a stress crack in one corner of the shell.

Otherwise, it’s still a really good shell. Keeps my bed 100% dry. I went with it over the ARE mainly because I really like the pop up lock that’s on the handle. I can leave the glass lid open or locked while with the ARE I think you always have to use your key to open the glass lid.

They’re both great shells and I would just suggest that you get a model with the sliding windows and screens on the sides. Helps if you want to sleep in the truck or keep things cool in there.

Leer also seems to make a somewhat decent shell but seems like I saw quite a few reviews about them leaking so I didn’t even seriously think about getting a leer.

Reactions: Rimack

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
I have had two snugtops. One on my previous tundra and that one was excellent. I liked it so much I went with another one on my 2017 Tundra. This one doesn’t seem to be built as well as the older one was. I have several paint chips on the sides of the shell. No idea how they got there. And I have a stress crack in one corner of the shell.

Otherwise, it’s still a really good shell. Keeps my bed 100% dry. I went with it over the ARE mainly because I really like the pop up lock that’s on the handle. I can leave the glass lid open or locked while with the ARE I think you always have to use your key to open the glass lid.

They’re both great shells and I would just suggest that you get a model with the sliding windows and screens on the sides. Helps if you want to sleep in the truck or keep things cool in there.

Leer also seems to make a somewhat decent shell but seems like I saw quite a few reviews about them leaking so I didn’t even seriously think about getting a leer.
Thanks.
I had a Leer as well and it leaked too. I think/hear Snugtop owns Leer.

Islandrat

Wish I was new
Aug 15, 2007
Camarillo
Name
Eric
Boat
Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
Usually guaranteed for life. When it fades or cracks get it fixed.

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
I have an ARE Z series on my Tundra. I’m very happy with it and would buy again in a heartbeat. I looked at the Leer and Snug Top as well, but I liked the looks and the hinges on the ARE more. I’ve slept back there a number of times, easy to open all the way around.

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
I have an ARE Z series on my Tundra. I’m very happy with it and would buy again in a heartbeat. I looked at the Leer and Snug Top as well, but I liked the looks and the hinges on the ARE more. I’ve slept back there a number of times, easy to open all the way around.
The ARE hinges look much more durable than snugtop's
ARE.jpg

Manbat

Aug 19, 2007
chino hills
Name
Jon
Boat
In between
I had the ARE overland on my 1500 Silverado. I was really disappointed with the build quality. I was considering going back to ARE and trying to return the entire thing when I got side swiped and the truck was a total loss. I went with the snug top outback for my new truck and am much happier with the quality.
https://youtu.be/b_nf4Mox57w
I
made a couple quick videos on each of the shells.
https://youtu.be/Sy-vPDKMjic

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
I have a snug top on my f150. Fit and finish is good. Paint match was good. I do get a tiny amount of moisture on the floor when it rains , Nothing to stress over though. Its six years old and the only wear is the decals on the back window are curling.

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
I had the ARE overland on my 1500 Silverado. I was really disappointed with the build quality. I was considering going back to ARE and trying to return the entire thing when I got side swiped and the truck was a total loss. I went with the snug top outback for my new truck and am much happier with the quality.
I made a couple quick videos on each of the shells.
That ARE ... not cool, Is that a new shell this year? 2019 ?

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
I had a snugtop super sport on my 2500HD and really liked it. Never any water inside.
That's the Snugtop mod Im eyeballing.

Last edited: