Trophy 2152 WA maintenance & troubleshooting

Afishboy

Jun 30, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
What?
I bought a 2011 Trophy 2152 WA this year and have been going through the boat trying to stay ahead of problems that come with all boats. I can't find any specific forums out there that discuss this particular boat. I see really old posts about Trophy vs. Bayliner vs. other boats. I'm not interested in dissing any particular brand. This 2011 boat is one of the last years they built these Trophy boats and it seems well made (mostly), there are zero spider cracks or any type of gel coat failure.

I'm interested in discussing with other Trophy owners or anyone that has run into similar issues on their boats and want to improve/maintain their vessel. I realize this isn't a "high - end" build but it's mostly a really nice boat. Here are a few things I've discovered that I'm trying to address.

I've found no structural defects except the fish well doors were completely delaminated (probably a bad bond originally) and I'm having them rebuilt. However, I'm concerned that type of shoddy construction might carry over somewhere else but I have not been able to find any other delam issues. Anyone else have that problem anywhere? I've tapped out the whole deck and it seems solid. I'm pretty sure the deck has marine grade (hopefully) plywood bonded to it. (In a previous life I built fiberglass boats and did repairs so I have an idea what to look for.)

While inspecting the anchor locker I discovered the anchor locker bulkhead is fiberglassed to the deck EXCEPT in the upper corners! There are two small triangles 3" x 6" x 8" in each corner (port and starboard) that are open to the cuddy cabin just aft! There is carpet over the open triangles and you can push your finger through to the cuddy cabin. Now, those areas are high up and the anchor well drains at the bottom but that's pretty scary.

The "Alaskan Cabin" has a painted aluminum frame which is in pretty good shape but is starting to flake and corrode in a few small places. There are some small hairline cracks that may be in the paint or just on the surface but that may be wishful thinking. I'm planning on caulking the seam between the aluminum and the gel coat deck. Any suggestions on caulk type? 3M 4200 for instance? I'm also planning on caulking the corners of the glass/vinyl moulding/ aluminum frame where there are gaps and saltwater can get in behind the vinyl moulding.

The hardtop has a vinyl ceiling underneath. It seems inappropriate for marine use but seems to be holding up OK. Anyone have experience with those failing?

Currently I'm trying to pull and replace the wiper arms and blades and the set screw that holds the wiper arm and it is nearly impossible to access. I'm ordering wiper arms and blades from AMEQUIPEMENT.

I'm replacing the wing/vent adjusters made by TAYLORMADE.

I've had the Mercruiser 4.3L V6 220 HP gone over and worked on but that's a separate subject. It's currently in very good shape with 230 hours on it with an alpha 1 Gen 2 that has been taken apart and all looks good. The work space is SUPER tight in the engine compartment and hard to clean the bilge.

Has anyone had problems with the gas tank on their boats? Hopefully it's never a problem because it would be impossible to get to without cutting out the deck.

I'm thinking of slowly pulling all the hardware and re-caulking.

Any other thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
The engine compartment is tight as hell for maintenance. I use to have the 2052 model. I had to make special tools because I couldn't get my hands into certain areas. Trophy got away with wood for the stringers and transom in 2004-2005 timeframe. Bruinswick bought the trophy line in 1999-2000. I believe the tanks is poly not aluminum at least my 2004 was poly. I took it 45 miles out for albacore all the time. My suggestion is to keep up with the manifold and riser maintenance. Add closed cooling if you don't have it. I had a small leak in the riser and water got in the block (raw water cooling). It was a great boat for me. Sold it to downsize.

Upvote 0

Afishboy

Jun 30, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
What?
Thanks for your comments.

How is the 2052 different? The only manual I have is for the 2052 and it seems almost identical to the 2152. Did they lengthen the boat or swap things to the other side (mirror image) or what? I have stringers and I'm hoping they are solid fiberglass but I can't tell. There appears to be a thick layer of fiberglass over the stringers in any case.

My tank is aluminum and 85 gallons.

The live bait well leaked at the top and I fixed that. I read about that somewhere else.

The orginal owner ran the boat in fresh water only (supposedly). The second owner (bought at 180 hours) put in a closed cooling system so I'm good there. When I got the boat (230 hours) there was a lot of chirping and it took me 5 outings to isolate it. The harmonic balancer had failed which is very rare on these engines from what I understand. The mercury mechanic fixed it, pulled the outdrive, checked the engine alignment, bellows, impeller and said everything was good. I'm not super mechanical, the access is tough, so I'm happy to pay for maintenance on the engine/drive system and I like my mechanic. I do read about the engine so I know what to look for and understand what I'm being told. I plan to go for tuna also so I want to be super confident in the boat.

I've inspected everything I can as far as I can with lights and mirrors. I don't see any compromising of the wood that I can see. They seemed to do a good job keeping any wood sealed and above the hull bottom and all the bolts and thru hull/deck fittings are through solid fiberglass (mostly, I think) and show no sign of leaking. One thing I've noticed - that pretty much at any thru deck fitting, if it leaked, it would leak onto solid fiberglass and go right down into the bilge - pretty smart.

I'm hoping those stringers don't have wood in them!

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
They are the same boat. Solid boat. I think the newer trophy line, Bayliner took back. I know Brunswick stop making them. The annoying thing for me was water would fill up the floor fish holds. But that is with most boats that have it. The macerater pump is a bitch to get to for replacement. I changed the pump on both sides.

Upvote 0

Afishboy

Jun 30, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
What?
Yeah, I read that about the fish holds on the 2052. Maybe you posted it somewhere? I think they must have changed them for the 2152. My fish wells have a gutter all the way around that dumps into the aft scupper / cockpit drain. It works well and I don't have problems getting water in there I don't want in there. I also read that seawater comes through the aft scuppers and I don't have that problem either (although I haven't been in a big sea state yet). Maybe they raised the deck?
When washing the boat if the fish wells are closed I get no water in there.

Having said all that the fish wells are a hassle to clean out after being slimed with fish but I guess that's true of any container that has fish in it. Fish in the well is a happy problem. I do have to make sure the screens don't get clogged with fish scales. I have spotted where the pumps are and I'm not looking forward to that task when it comes.

Upvote 0