Trolling with Handlines

Hinalea

Feb 3, 2008
Kalapalama Canal
Name
Bodo
Boat
Sears Gamefisha 12' Tri Hull
I just got me an older15' Edgewater CC and would like to do some trolling off Oahu for Ono, Mahi,Shibi,Aku to maybe around 50# max. I thinking about using handlines instead of rods and reels as I am on a tight budget. Anyone can share some tips for going that route? I researched trolling handlines on the internet, and I really like the WaayCool Handline setup because it looks like it would be easier on the hands and grippier to pull in. But they kinda of expensive on my budget. Maybe anyone who makes handlines can hook me up with something like use cord/mono combo and heavy line but cheaper? The one shown is around $150 without rubber shock cord. Mahalos
DBFF16DF-AF36-4F97-BA54-9E6E1E65C2E7_1_201_a.jpeg

openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
Here is what I use for albacore in Northern California. I've had no problem with fish up to at least 30lbs. The setup goes for around 30 bucks. Just Google "albacore hand line"
Pescaro-Handline-2.jpg

Reactions: nav and yrd

Hinalea

Feb 3, 2008
Kalapalama Canal
Name
Bodo
Boat
Sears Gamefisha 12' Tri Hull
Here is what I use for albacore in Northern California. I've had no problem with fish up to at least 30lbs. The setup goes for around 30 bucks. Just Google "albacore hand line"View attachment 1107624
Here is what I use for albacore in Northern California. I've had no problem with fish up to at least 30lbs. The setup goes for around 30 bucks. Just Google "albacore hand line"View attachment 1107624
Thank you, Thats what Im takin about! Simple,cheap. What is the total length of your rig? What distance is the sweet spot behind the boat for you? Any issues with tangles or crossovers?

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
Stagger the lengths to avoid tangles. We’ve put ahi over 40 and onos pushing 80 in the boat with that basic blue handline setup. Everything else is the same as real fishing, lengths, lure selection etc. Rizzuto’s Offshore Hunters had a handline section if I recall. Worth picking up from the library.

Reactions: Hinalea