Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Hello all
Im a noob here, and just purchased my first boat. Im trying to get everything I need to go out and catch yt, bft, makos or whatever I can get a hook into. I recently purchased a couple Penn fathom downriggers. Just curious what lures should I be using (I've read purple cedar plugs for tuna, baitomatics for sharks) any other advice on what lures would work best? I also bought some rapala x-rap for my non down rigger poles. Lastly what weights are ideal. Im assuming id have my like at around 100 feet down.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Haha. I know, now that I have my own boat I realized how little I know. Thought I was a great fisher when I had a great captain but now its all of these little things that I never really paid attention to. but Its 24ft.
so what kind of boat make model powered with , slip or trailer ?
and you are most likely a good fisherman just need to reapply everything to the boat lol.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I didn't want to mention my boat make and model for the concern of being judged. lol. Ive seen some harsh comments on the lower end model boats. But I have a 97 24ft Renken Seamaster WA, w/ 5.7 mercruiser inboard. and its trailered

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
well that makes no difference as long as your happy with it and takes you out there and brings you , as in being reliable... don't worry about what the asshats say on this forum and believe me there are many , but the good peoples out weight them 100 to 1.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
well that makes no difference as long as your happy with it and takes you out there and brings you , as in being reliable... don't worry about what the asshats say on this forum and believe me there are many , but the good peoples out weight them 100 to 1.

lol yeah exactly. I cant wait to get out there, seems like its prime time fishing right now!!. So you got any tips or publicly exchanged secrets you could tell me to start my journey towards becoming a trolling downrigging master

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
lol yeah exactly. I cant wait to get out there, seems like its prime time fishing right now!!. So you got any tips or publicly exchanged secrets you could tell me to start my journey towards becoming a trolling downrigging master

well there is no magic , 2 to 4 decent trolling reels and rods, depending on want your trolling for , x-raps , cedar plugs and a few feathers to start will work for most pelagic fish, speed I generally troll between 5 and 7 mph , if I'm by my self maybe two rods, sometimes i get brave and troll three or four, one on each corner, then a center short , I have a center out rigger on my boat so i'll troll a long center and a short center and the two corners in between..
that should get you started ...

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
To start off putting spectra on your downriggers helps to keep the ball down with minimum weight. IIRC most use 200lb test. Weight depends on speed, cable (spectra). bait and depth your trying to reach. I would start with an 8lb but you may well have to go heavier. Carry a spare cable, weight and release clip setup. Threshers love to smack that ball with their tails

As far as trolling offshore IMO you should run whatever lures you troll rigged for shark. Not that you can;t be successful with tuna or other gamefish just that at that slow speed you'll be losing gear to sharks if you don't rig for them. I would maybe try slow trolling some bridled big macs on heavy flouro leaders if your seeing fish on the meter at a depth your downrigger can reach. Losing a piece of flouro and a hook is a lot cheaper than losing an Xrap every time a toothy one comes along.

Reactions: hookenthemlips
Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
well there is no magic , 2 to 4 decent trolling reels and rods, depending on want your trolling for , x-raps , cedar plugs and a few feathers to start will work for most pelagic fish, speed I generally troll between 5 and 7 mph , if I'm by my self maybe two rods, sometimes i get brave and troll three or four, one on each corner, then a center short , I have a center out rigger on my boat so i'll troll a long center and a short center and the two corners in between..
that should get you started ...
I got a couple avet two speeds with 40lb or 50lb braid to fluoro. So trolling is a lot slower than I thought, usually on those big charter boats seems like were goin full speed . Thanks

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I got a couple avet two speeds with 40lb or 50lb braid to fluoro. So trolling is a lot slower than I thought, usually on those big charter boats seems like were goin full speed . Thanks
If your trolling for wahooo, or dragging feathers instead of rapalas etc yes you can troll faster 10 /12 mph ,
most my troll rods have 80 or 100 lb spectra to 50 to 80 lb mono...
what I told you is how I troll , others have there own ways ...

as you know there is more than one right way to do things just depends on the person...and how they go about it.....

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
To start off putting spectra on your downriggers helps to keep the ball down with minimum weight. IIRC most use 200lb test. Weight depends on speed, cable (spectra). bait and depth your trying to reach. I would start with an 8lb but you may well have to go heavier. Carry a spare cable, weight and release clip setup. Threshers love to smack that ball with their tails

As far as trolling offshore IMO you should run whatever lures you troll rigged for shark. Not that you can;t be successful with tuna or other gamefish just that at that slow speed you'll be losing gear to sharks if you don't rig for them. I would maybe try slow trolling some bridled big macs on heavy flouro leaders if your seeing fish on the meter at a depth your downrigger can reach. Losing a piece of flouro and a hook is a lot cheaper than losing an Xrap every time a toothy one comes along.

Man o man. talking about threshers, sounds exciting. Id be happy to catch some sharks to start until I hone my skills. And ok bridle big macs sounds like a good idea. I was thinking all artificial initially but those lures do get expensive so Ill probably start with the hook and mac. Thanks for the tips!

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Man o man. talking about threshers, sounds exciting. Id be happy to catch some sharks to start until I hone my skills. And ok bridle big macs sounds like a good idea. I was thinking all artificial initially but those lures do get expensive so Ill probably start with the hook and mac. Thanks for the tips!
troll for threshers 2 to 5 MPH max... better get heavier gear

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
If your trolling for wahooo, or dragging feathers instead of rapalas etc yes you can troll faster 10 /12 mph ,
most my troll rods have 80 or 100 lb spectra to 50 to 80 lb mono...
what I told you is how I troll , others have there own ways ...

as you know there is more than one right way to do things just depends on the person...and how they go about it.....

ok yeah I just need a good place to start and slow trolling seems like a good way . So im sure the lures make a difference but is it different speeds for different target species?

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
ok yeah I just need a good place to start and slow trolling seems like a good way . So im sure the lures make a difference but is it different speeds for different target species?
just get fish reports of the general area where your target fish are .. that's a good place to start

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
just get fish reports of the general area where your target fish are .. that's a good place to start

yeah sorry I wasn't saying a good place to start (location) just a good place to start as far as technique. But thanks for all of the info :) ill put it to use this weekend and hopefully have some pics in the Fish report section