Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Just getting into the offshore scene. I've been reading and learning a lot from this site.

If I'm only trolling two rigs at a time (fishing for yellowtail, bluefin and/or dorado) what is the recommended selection/style of rigs?

So far I only have Rapala style lures and didn't know if I should be using squids or whatever.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I would run two diving plugs like Rapala or Halco down the sides and a single cedar plug or feather down the center much farther back. That middle bait is generally called the shotgun bait.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0
    Jun 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Clyde
    Boat
    252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
    ^^^ what he said. I always troll 3 rigs minimum and sometimes 5 if they're really liking troll jigs. I always have the cedar plug way back down the middle and one rapala or halco and a feather or daisy chain in the third spot. If one gets bit immediately brail some bait. Then start slowing the boat down. This takes about 10 seconds and will increase the odds of one or two of the other trollers getting bit.

Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
    Westlake Village
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Whaler
    If you're going to stick to 2, you can't really go wrong with a cedar plug and a diving plug (halco, x-rap, etc.) With the bluefin around I'd run the lines longer than normal since they're typically a little more boat shy than the others. We actually picked up a smaller BFT on the halco trolled way back over the weekend.

Upvote 0