NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Pretty much my entire family lives in Florida. I grew up in Cali but my moms side has always been there and now parents/sister are there so I am in Florida once or twice a year and have been my entire life. I bring a lot of the East Coast fishing mentality home with me and I know it improves my fishing. I was just out there last week and was amazed how every boat has a trolling motor and what these things actually can do.
We were out chasing snook, redfish, and tarpon last week and this trolling motor was the raddest thing ever. Spot lock anchor, autopilot a course, move 5 feet right/left/forward/back then lock in place, all by a remote control. I have seen these motors in Cali on bass boats and kinda put it in my mind that is what they were for until I got to really play with one on my own.
For sure bassin' will be much easier on these. Get in tight and anchor lock it. Auto pilot it down a kelp line. Makes sense. But think about pulling into a hot bite and not having to waste time on an anchor, slow trolling macks or dines, stealth onto breaking tunas, rockfish anchor lock over the tiniest of rocks etc... To me I feel like this thing is a game changer. I have a 26' Worldcat and my trolling motor comes in next week. On the plane ride home from Florida I got a serious case of HAVING to get this. It is just too cool. I do fish bass on plastics a lot but I will be using it for so many things non-bass.
I am wondering why these aren't more popular out here on the West Coast.

Reactions: repo805 and Ryan_J

Reefmo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
I don't have a big boat but I rely MASSIVELY on my trolling motor. Spot lock over anchor is a no brainer. Especially if you don't have a windless. LOVE IT

Pretty much my entire family lives in Florida. I grew up in Cali but my moms side has always been there and now parents/sister are there so I am in Florida once or twice a year and have been my entire life. I bring a lot of the East Coast fishing mentality home with me and I know it improves my fishing. I was just out there last week and was amazed how every boat has a trolling motor and what these things actually can do.
We were out chasing snook, redfish, and tarpon last week and this trolling motor was the raddest thing ever. Spot lock anchor, autopilot a course, move 5 feet right/left/forward/back then lock in place, all by a remote control. I have seen these motors in Cali on bass boats and kinda put it in my mind that is what they were for until I got to really play with one on my own.
For sure bassin' will be much easier on these. Get in tight and anchor lock it. Auto pilot it down a kelp line. Makes sense. But think about pulling into a hot bite and not having to waste time on an anchor, slow trolling macks or dines, stealth onto breaking tunas, rockfish anchor lock over the tiniest of rocks etc... To me I feel like this thing is a game changer. I have a 26' Worldcat and my trolling motor comes in next week. On the plane ride home from Florida I got a serious case of HAVING to get this. It is just too cool. I do fish bass on plastics a lot but I will be using it for so many things non-bass.

Reactions: NewportMatt

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Define “West Coast” when you say a lack of kicker motors.

Up in WA/OR, the only time a boat doesn’t have a kicker is after it is stolen. Up here it is just how we troll for salmon (endless hours at 2-3 knots).

They are handy for backing into the wind and staying on a spot even w/o anchor. Also good as a safety backup to get home.

Reactions: goatram

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer

Up in WA/OR, the only time a boat doesn’t have a kicker is after it is stolen. Up here it is just how we troll for salmon (endless hours at 2-3 knots).

They are handy for backing into the wind and staying on a spot even w/o anchor. Also good as a safety backup to get home.

Bit of a difference between a trolling motor and a kicker.

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
How heavy is that Worldcat? Impressive there's a trolling motor that can handle that boat.
My Worldcat is about 6,800 lbs. Talked with the manufacturer and a few others who put the trolling motors on and they all said the trolling motor works great. Just had to get the 72" shaft.

In Florida these things keep vessels the size of mine in place even under cuts/bridges with the ripping currents they get. The newer trolling motors are impressive machines.

My bad on generalizing West Coast. I am just referencing my home waters. So Cal offshore. But the kicker motors versus the trolling motors I am talking about are much different. I have twins on my Worldcat, no need for a kicker.

Reactions: Salmon King

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
I fish with a guy who has a 24’skiff,it has a trolling motor which is remote control and can keep us on one spot,the very same spot,while fishing an area,while fishing the break wall on the outside it’s amazing,it can keep us just outside the kelp line and never drift,pretty cool,it’s 36volt,and has never run out of power,pretty impressive.

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
I fish with a guy who has a 24’skiff,it has a trolling motor which is remote control and can keep us on one spot,the very same spot,while fishing an area,while fishing the break wall on the outside it’s amazing,it can keep us just outside the kelp line and never drift,pretty cool,it’s 36volt,and has never run out of power, pretty impressive.
^^^^
What he said

I put a 36v Ulterra on my Open 20 and love it. I know the term is overused but it really is a game changer. Since fishing with me, 2 of my buddies have both put one on their boat.

jgf

Feb 16, 2013
Glendora CA
Name
Jason
Boat
Cabo 216
I’ve always wondered why TMs aren’t utilized more in socal. Obviously the saltwater bass guys use them heavily but with the long shafted 36v models you’d think they’d be useful on a 2320 etc.. I have one on my little whaler and have used it kelp paddy fishing to drift with the paddy or drifting for halibut when the current and wind aren’t cooperating. I cheaped out and bought the model without spotlock. Huge mistake! That feature is worth every penny!

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Got one on Wet ride. I use it at Izors. Works great.
I converted it to I-pilot for about $300. The ankor mode is the best feature!
Wet Ride is not a lot of boat

Wet 1.jpg

Reactions: NewportMatt

Jef

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 16, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
I had a riptide with spot lock on a 23 ft center console. It was fantastic .

I want to put on my Parker 2320, but mounting and battery placement is an issue we need to figure out

Reactions: jgf

jiminoc

May 5, 2005
Trabuco Canyon
Name
Jim
Boat
boat-less but looking
Funny you say this. I just watched an episode of Florida sportsman and they were talking about this exact advantage of the trolling motor with the new models having the ability to lock your boat in place to avoid anchoring in certain fishing conditions.

I added it to my checklist when I get another boat. @Jef , please do post a follow up. I've been looking at the 2320 so your placement choice will definitely be interesting.

Edit: Looks like a parker 2320 towards the end in this video 2:02

Last edited:

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Got my trolling motor installed a couple weeks back. Have used it on 5 or 6 trips since. It is everything I thought it would be and more. Slow trolling sardines at the islands, working up/down the pipe in newport, ANCHOR LOCK, etc... It is amazing. Was just on clemente island yesterday and rolled into a hot bite. Was able to anchor lock perfectly on the bow of two other boats that were on it without having to set an anchor and it took me all but a second.

The install was fairly simple. I moved my anchor from my bow pulpit and then put it on the side of the pulpit which was a mistake. I then put on a new anchor roller on my bow just to the side of the pulpit and my anchor works great. The trolling motor sits atop my pulpit. I did have to cut a small piece of my railing off to allow the motor to go up/down. My motor is the 24V 80lbs thrust Minn Kota Terranova. This 80lb thrust motor held my boat perfect on anchor lock in about 20knot winds the other day. The 36V on a 2320 seems like overkill to me.

I put my two batteries in series in my anchor locker. Running my alternator charger from my outboards was going to be too big a headache so I just put two 50watt solar panels in series and am running this through a solar charge controller. They are the flat/bendable panels so I can easily stow them in my anchor locker.

Because I moved my anchor roller to the deck and not on the pulpit anymore I do not leave my anchor attached to my anchor chain. This is key for me. I have the Fortress anchor so it is easily disconnected from my anchor chain and stowed in my anchor locker. When I want to drop an anchor I simply reattach it to my chain. I really only seeing myself using an anchor overnight now because of the anchor lock feature.

Lastly, before I installed my solar panels I spent two full days fishing with probably 3 hours each day on my trolling motor and my batteries still showed a full charge. These things use a ridiculously small amount of juice for what they do. Totally badass!

20180525_133523.jpg

Jun 23, 2014
Tacoma
Name
Rob
Boat
Shamrock 270
Raising the DEAD!

I currently have no trolling motor on my inboard diesel. I troll quite a bit and it would be nice to have a trolling motor for position holding.

Do you guys think one of the 36v Minn Kota's would be enough on light wind days to troll an 9,000 lb loaded weight boat? I don't mind using the main on windy days.

I leave my boat in storage sometimes. I'd rather not deal with a gas motor. Plus, I think you get a lot more features with the nicer electric motors without having to invest in a TR1 autopilot on a gas motor.

My problem is charging in between trips but it looks like this has been hammered out with solar panels.

Last Q: Could I take the easy road and mount this on my transom? My bow has got to be 6-8 feet off the water on small rollers.

warfrik

Aug 14, 2011
Carson
Name
Oliver
Boat
25 pursuit tiara
I have a 36v minn kota terrova with 72" shaft on the 25 ft pursuit. Love it specially the spotlock.

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Raising the DEAD!

I currently have no trolling motor on my inboard diesel. I troll quite a bit and it would be nice to have a trolling motor for position holding.

Do you guys think one of the 36v Minn Kota's would be enough on light wind days to troll an 9,000 lb loaded weight boat? I don't mind using the main on windy days.

I leave my boat in storage sometimes. I'd rather not deal with a gas motor. Plus, I think you get a lot more features with the nicer electric motors without having to invest in a TR1 autopilot on a gas motor.

My problem is charging in between trips but it looks like this has been hammered out with solar panels.

Last Q: Could I take the easy road and mount this on my transom? My bow has got to be 6-8 feet off the water on small rollers.
If you are talking about trolling jigs at 5-7knots, no way. If you want to slow troll a live bait out the back then yes. I would guess the 36v would get your vessel up to 3 maybe 4 knots at a constant rate but that would be a heck of a load on the motor.

Do not transom mount it. Waste of time and money.

I no longer charge these on solar panels. I have a on board charge controller that I run off an inverter when needed but also runs off AC when on the dock. I can run 7 trips a week and not worry about it running outta juice. Ideally though you can run a wire from your diesel motor so the alternator charges it when underway. Whichever works best for your vessel.

Jun 23, 2014
Tacoma
Name
Rob
Boat
Shamrock 270
Warfrik: You must have yours on the bow or side of the boat?

Newport Matt: I would only use this set up trolling for salmon (1.8-2.2 mph, quite slow) and moving my boat in and out of kelp chasing rock fish, and spot lock for halibut.

I saw a vid on a guy that had a side mount on his electric set up. My boats got the space, I think I would do the same. Mount it on the side of the boat. My bow would be minimum 5 feet out of the water on flat water. I don't think that would work.

I also have an ACR Automatic Charging Relay to charge the batts which works great. My main problem would be the place I normally troll is only a 5-10 minute ride to the fishing grounds then troll. Not enough to charge the batts. Power is not available due to seasonal docks.

warfrik

Aug 14, 2011
Carson
Name
Oliver
Boat
25 pursuit tiara
mine is mounted on the bow. I had to cut the bow rail.

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I just put one on a 21 Outrage,have not got to use it yet.Boat is in the shop having the Verado power steering pump replaced after my son having to push the Boat US boat home.Tom

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Warfrik: You must have yours on the bow or side of the boat?

Newport Matt: I would only use this set up trolling for salmon (1.8-2.2 mph, quite slow) and moving my boat in and out of kelp chasing rock fish, and spot lock for halibut.

I saw a vid on a guy that had a side mount on his electric set up. My boats got the space, I think I would do the same. Mount it on the side of the boat. My bow would be minimum 5 feet out of the water on flat water. I don't think that would work.

I also have an ACR Automatic Charging Relay to charge the batts which works great. My main problem would be the place I normally troll is only a 5-10 minute ride to the fishing grounds then troll. Not enough to charge the batts. Power is not available due to seasonal docks.

The reason for bow mount is for maneuverability. Off the stern or side you will lose the ability to maneuver well which will also affect the ability of the trolling motor to hold a spot lock. I wouldn't put on a trolling motor at all unless I could bow mount it.

As far as power...solar is an option in your case. You could always leave motor in idle to still get juice.