Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    The two house batteries are parallel and then the third “motor” battery are tied together with an A/Both/B switch. I can make a diagram if it would help? “Smart charger” charges all three at the end of the day.

Reactions: aztec23
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    The two house batteries are parallel and then the third “motor” battery are tied together with an A/Both/B switch. I can make a diagram if it would help? “Smart charger” charges all three at the end of the day.
    Very Rough circuit diagram and does not show independent circuits for house electronics or separate circuit for bilge pump. Hope this helps a bit. FYI My run from console to Trolling Motor outlet is about 10' so 20' there and back. Find a Voltage drop table and bump down at least one gauge to get the beefier wires in there. So worth the peace of mind. Low voltage is a very big problem when it overheats.

IMG_6124.jpg

Reactions: KID CREOLE
    Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    The troll motor control is specific to the fish finder brand and the troll motor company. Lowrance/Simrad products work with Motorguide while Humminbird works with the Minn Kota motors only.

What really sucks is the tying of one trolling motor to a specific brand of fish finders. It does the industry no good and takes away options. It would be great if someone creates a box that allows the use of any brand of motor on any fish finder. Motorguide seems to be using the NMEA2000 backbone while Minnkota uses ethernet ports to connect to the Humminbird fish finders. Either way, there should be an industry standard. I know they have signed long term exclusive contracts, but it does not benefit the end users.

It really depends on how you fish. If you like to follow a trolling path, using the fish finder to set the path is the best option. You can use this to follow a depth or contour line. This is very popular with the bass fisherman in lakes. On the other hand, if your fishing style is mainly to stay anchored in one spot, its not as important.

Having the interface between the TM and MFD is even more of a game changer than simple spot lock. I can go to a waypoint on my Lowrance and hit "Go To" and the trolling motor will take me there and anchor once I arrive. It will automatically hold me on that spot until I tell it otherwise. You could use a minn Kota remote to do the same, but you're going to have some variance on where you press the anchor button and your actual position. If you're fishing a particular rock, being off 10 feet or so can make all the difference. I don't have the heading sensor so I accept a few feet of variance anyways, but this is a good way to minimize that as much as possible. It will also follow contour lines on your chart which is something no one really talks about. Have had absolutely zero problems with my MotorGuide Xi3. Next (bigger) boat will have an Xi5 and Simrad system. I would bet there are a lot more guys running Navico electronics than Hummingbird in the salt so I'm surprised MotorGuide doesn't get mentioned more. You do have to pay $140 for the NMEA/Motorguide interface cable which sucks, IMO that should be included on a $1600 motor but the functionality is well worth it.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Use my spot lock a bunch, but also use my trolling feature a ton. You set a course on the Simrad, say along the edge of a reef but in the sand, and then I'm able to drag for halibut along that edge and the trolling motor does the work.

Upvote 0

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
    Lake Camanche, CA
    Name
    Seon
    Boat
    23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
    ...If you're concerned about battery life, invest in a DC charger like the Stealth1. Makes a huge difference to continually top off throughout the day.

My 2 batteries are stand alone and are dedicated to the trolling motor. I have an onboard dual bank charger that I plug in the night before a trip to top them off.

Would advice to check the water lever ever so often though.

Reactions: crawdadguy
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Thoughts on if it is worth the extra money to get AGM batteries for a 24v or 36v trolling motor. Weight and size lighter or smaller?
    The AGMs are noticeably heavier for the same size. I have three on board and think they are reliable, maintenance free and worth the peace of mind

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Having the interface between the TM and MFD is even more of a game changer than simple spot lock. I can go to a waypoint on my Lowrance and hit "Go To" and the trolling motor will take me there and anchor once I arrive. It will automatically hold me on that spot until I tell it otherwise. You could use a minn Kota remote to do the same, but you're going to have some variance on where you press the anchor button and your actual position. If you're fishing a particular rock, being off 10 feet or so can make all the difference. I don't have the heading sensor so I accept a few feet of variance anyways, but this is a good way to minimize that as much as possible. It will also follow contour lines on your chart which is something no one really talks about. Have had absolutely zero problems with my MotorGuide Xi3. Next (bigger) boat will have an Xi5 and Simrad system. I would bet there are a lot more guys running Navico electronics than Hummingbird in the salt so I'm surprised MotorGuide doesn't get mentioned more. You do have to pay $140 for the NMEA/Motorguide interface cable which sucks, IMO that should be included on a $1600 motor but the functionality is well worth it.

I don't doubt the function can be useful. I'm just sick of these vendors forcing you to go with a specific brand in order to make the product work with the fish finder. There should be laws against this since it restricts competition.

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    I don't doubt the function can be useful. I'm just sick of these vendors forcing you to go with a specific brand in order to make the product work with the fish finder. There should be laws against this since it restricts competition.

I hear ya, but short of some sort of universal control interface, that's a lot of R&D to get everything talking to one another. Much easier to be compatible with just one type. Maybe this COVID boom and huge backorder will spurn them into biting that bullet but they'll probably all look at Rhodan whose units talk to nobody and still get all the big East Coast CC money and say fuck it why spend the cash?

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Use my spot lock a bunch, but also use my trolling feature a ton. You set a course on the Simrad, say along the edge of a reef but in the sand, and then I'm able to drag for halibut along that edge and the trolling motor does the work.
    I assume you are using a Motorguide i5. Are you happy with it. 24 or 36 volt?

Reactions: flytie
    Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    Anybody running lithium! It looks like a great way to go for longevity weight and maintenance free. Only down side it cost a little extra.lol

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Anybody running lithium! It looks like a great way to go for longevity weight and maintenance free. Only down side it cost a little extra.lol

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    24v and very happy with the I5. Linked with the Simrad, it is a good system.
    Do you think the connectivity is important? I’m trying to decide Minnkota or mg! Could you be fine without the connectivity to your ff.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Do you think the connectivity is important? I’m trying to decide Minnkota or mg! Could you be fine without the connectivity to your ff.
    Connectivity is important. Otherwise you are going to have to drive the thing when you want to use it. I can use my touch screen, set a route and forget it. Then I can repeat it at a later date if I want to.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    How long have you had it and it’s reliable ? No issues? I will be installing lithium’s.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    Well I ordered the MG xi5 24v 60” shaft last week. I was told end of May. Gunna install 1 24 volt battle born lithium battery. 50 amp hr. 31 lbs ! Expensive but it will last 10 or more years with a 10 year warranty. I found a place that sells tm with no tax and
    Under msrp plus the rebate offered by Mg extra 100 off. I can’t weight!

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

aztec23

• Aug 18, 2017
    North County SD
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 CC
    Well I ordered the MG xi5 24v 60” shaft last week. I was told end of May. Gunna install 1 24 volt battle born lithium battery. 50 amp hr. 31 lbs ! Expensive but it will last 10 or more years with a 10 year warranty. I found a place that sells tm with no tax and
    Under msrp plus the rebate offered by Mg extra 100 off. I can’t weight!
    Who did you order the trolling motor from?

Upvote 0