HelluvaBoater

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2012
Maui
Name
Maka
Boat
Force 28
For you guys who always get the big ahi trolling the 1000 fathom ledge.... do you normally troll along the crest of the ledge? Or on top of the ledge? Or center yourself over the whole dropoff?

Basically, in the attached pic, do you go along the green, red, blue or yellow line? Or what....? Obviously the ledge near the buoy is good.... Especially upcurrent of the buoy... right? 8-10 knots for ahi or slower?

ledge.png

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
For you guys who always get the big ahi trolling the 1000 fathom ledge.... do you normally troll along the crest of the ledge? Or on top of the ledge? Or center yourself over the whole dropoff?

Basically, in the attached pic, do you go along the green, red, blue or yellow line? Or what....? Obviously the ledge near the buoy is good.... Especially upcurrent of the buoy... right? 8-10 knots for ahi or slower?

View attachment 1138664
Maka,
As you know there are a 1000 ways to skin a cat and each of us skin them differently. So if Kai'Nana is trolling the 1000 we'll stay mostly right on the 1000, but if there are subtle canyons or where the drop off is quicker (where all of your colored lines are closer together); we'll put some more attention those areas. It also depends on currents; we'll spend more time in an area if the current is pushing into the curve where it hopefully causes some upwelling and bringing the more nutrient rich colder waters up near the surface. Kai'Nana is a little slower than most, we are more like 7-8KTS.

Cheers
Pat

Reactions: Mex808 and hiloboy

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Honestly, I zigzag between the 750, 1000 and 1500 fathom. I got strikes and landed Ahis at the Pinnacle, 750 fathom outside Nanakuli, 1250:fathom past the Pinnacle.

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
I run between the red and blue line, but venture up on top (green) on inside corners or to hit structure. I focus on areas that show current moving into ledge, or have signs of upwelling (scatter on sounder), slicks on surface. If current is iffshore at the time, I favor running further offshore, if strong incoming, I look inside for upwelling, if no obvious current, but it was runninh inshore before I run inside 500 ledge, if it was running offshore, but no current now, I focus on 1000fa or formerly productive areas further offshore. I wander further from the dolphins, birds, bait or debris in low current, and work close upcurrent of bait in higher current. I really like to focus on areas of convergence/downwelling ... where currents/temp changes and when currents are approaching their daily peak... especially if it is near sunrise or sunset. If you can match the timing of the currents, with the location of key surface features, and possibly subsurface topo features you are when and where the fish should be. When currents and surface features are absent, focus on bait, FADs, dolphins, or topo lines. Since the timing and location of the offshore bite is often driven by constantly changing spatio-temporal features, learning to predict the bite in time and space is challenging, but ocassionally rewarding. When you fish every day it gets easier.

As an example, if the temp maps indicate a front moving at 4nm/24hrs to the NNE, and currents peak at 1000hrs on Saturday, and 1100 Sunday and there was a bite from 0900-1100 in that area... then I make it a point to start in that area at 0900 hr Sunday, and troll into the area 4nm NNE for the predicted 1000-1200hr Sunday bite. Same feature, different time/place. If currents are strengthening from Sat to Sun, bite may last longer but be more focused, if they are weakening, it may be shortened and more dispersed. If a bite happens during weak currents and no obvious surface features, at the current change associated with dolphins or a topo feature, or bait school. Next day you need to find the dolphins, bait, or go to topo feature and stick with it through the current change. If there are no features, and no known bite, explore a new area where there is some kind of difference, or shift gears and run live baits, or stay home.

I don't have it figured out yet, but I do believe understanding currents are key to finding these fish.

John

Reactions: patfishhi

shbite

kailua lures
Apr 8, 2009
kailua hi
Name
steve
Boat
19 glass pro
We got our biggest ahi last year dragging a 3 inch lure on the 40 ftm in a aku pile 180 gh lol

jkvshooter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Learn to read conditions, birds, bait etc. Make friends and share intel (it’s a good practice to keep a log). These fish will drive you nutz cause they don’t always play by the rules (caught plenty fish inside the 500).
Most of all have fun and be safe!
Aloha,
Justin

Uli Kai

May 11, 2008
Ko Olina HI
Name
John
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal 230
As an example, if the temp maps indicate a front moving at 4nm/24hrs to the NNE, and currents peak at 1000hrs on Saturday, and 1100 Sunday and there was a bite from 0900-1100 in that area... then I make it a point to start in that area at 0900 hr Sunday, and troll into the area 4nm NNE for the predicted 1000-1200hr Sunday bite.

John
John, what website are you using for your sea temps and currents? Thanks

blufin10

TightLines666
Dec 8, 2005
Ewa Beach - Hawaii
Name
John
Boat
Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
John, what website are you using for your sea temps and currents? Thanks
I just use the free version of Fishtrack.

Not the best resolution, and it is only updated 1/24hrs.. but its free and can give u an idea of whats going on if u look at it daily.

NOAAs Coastwatch raw data is by far the best and it is the only origional source for all remote satalire-derived data here, but u need a PHD and supercomputer to deal with the taw rata files...
LOL.

There are sone excellent other companies that provide products for commercial fisherman but they are expensive to get the good stuff... i have had access to some of this stuff in the past and it can be outstanding.. or absolutely iseless depending on the area and time.

John

Uli Kai

May 11, 2008
Ko Olina HI
Name
John
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal 230
I just use the free version of Fishtrack.

Not the best resolution, and it is only updated 1/24hrs.. but its free and can give u an idea of whats going on if u look at it daily.

NOAAs Coastwatch raw data is by far the best and it is the only origional source for all remote satalire-derived data here, but u need a PHD and supercomputer to deal with the taw rata files...
LOL.

There are sone excellent other companies that provide products for commercial fisherman but they are expensive to get the good stuff... i have had access to some of this stuff in the past and it can be outstanding.. or absolutely iseless depending on the area and time.

John
Thanks John

Kawika Tumilowicz

No_Expectations_Fishing
Apr 24, 2017
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Kawika
Boat
Yellowfin 24'
Everywhere is different, everyone fishes differently. The windward side is sooo much different that out west or south. Generally we look at currents, because once you get to a certain depth nothing can actually see the bottom. Surface current charts are our favorite, but they don't always pan out. You're trying to catch/attract fish at the surface, so your best bet is usually near the edge of a current line or finding trash. That is the whole idea of a FAD; we know that fish congregate under trash so why not make sure we can find it every time.

Reactions: triton91