Bkusna15

Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2017
Hawaii
Name
Brendan Kahle
Boat
2012 Sea Fox 200xt
hey guys so I am new to trolling. Picked up a boat not too long ago and have the gear bit have yet to find any fish. Not looking for secret spots but any help would be great. I live near kaneohe but don't mind taking the boat around the island.

Do you have suggested depth to start? Keep seeing a lot about pinnacles on here but not sure where those are. If you would rather pm me I understand. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

grander007

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
no magic to it

40 fathoms for Ono

100 fathoms or deeper for bigger fish

IMHO no magic to following the curves

Upvote 0

ACran1

Sep 4, 2017
Kaneohe
Name
Alex
Boat
23' AquaSport
I was in your same position a few years ago. I’ve certainly not mastered hawaiian waters, but I hold my own. Stick with running the ledge with ono lures, 4-7” skirts and maybe a Clarke spoon. I’ve had tons of luck trolling shallow. Once you get comfortable doing that, push out and try your luck at the FADs. Read reports on here and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Plenty of people have helped me find the fish. Use Windy.com for Wind/swell forecast and FishTrack.com for temp/current readings. Hit me up on DM if you’ve got any newbie questions

Upvote 0

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Unless i get intel from other fishermen i just go out hunting. But more importantly, go out as often as is within your means. Gotta put that time on the water in order to have a shot at landing something. Unfortunately i been sitting on the couch for the past 3 weeks so you can guess my chances.

Upvote 0

blaskpa

FAMOUS GROUSE
Oct 1, 2010
Kailua/HI/USA
Name
Paul
Boat
FamousGrouse
You picked a tough time to be a newbie that's for sure. Its been a tough few months for catching on the windward side. Echo sadzdad above! keep going you will catch'em. Watch the birds and look for rubbish and current lines...Have fun

Upvote 0

kapnd

Almost A Member
Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
Unless i get intel from other fishermen i just go out hunting. But more importantly, go out as often as is within your means. Gotta put that time on the water in order to have a shot at landing something. Unfortunately i been sitting on the couch for the past 3 weeks so you can guess my chances.

This is key!
if I fish offshore 3 days in a row, I’m 3x the fisherman on the 3rd day than I was on day 1.
When it’s hot, anybody can just ride around and hook a fish, but that’s pretty rare.
It helps tremendously to have some fresh intel to go on.
Go to the ramp in the afternoons and snoop around!

Upvote 0

KD4

Jun 16, 2020
Kailua
Name
Kepa
Boat
Kili’opu
For Kaneohe side, make sure you have a depth sounder and GPS to track the curves and explore the areas around Mokumanu for Ono. It’s a significant ledge and the ono come in there in less than 100’ of water to feed on Opelu. I’ve caught on 5” up to 12” lures. They prefer a faster trolling speed of 9-12 knots if the water conditions allow. Also, if you can get your lure deeper, that improves the bite so planers and other weighted trolling rigs help. The ledge the Kahana bay direction has been less productive for me, but others say it’s good.
Otherwise, Kaneohe is a run and gun fishery with most folks pulling 1-2 lines in search of rubbish or birds to get aku and mahi. The Mahi season gets much better in the fall/winter, but they are around all year, just smaller right now.
Be prepared to put miles in on the Eastside as I’ve found the productive zone to be outside of the FADs. U buoy, when it is there, can be good if you’re the first one there in the morning (which means you found it in the dark).
When it is good on the eastside, it’s pretty good. When it is slow, it’s really slow. The ono bite has been pretty weak this year unfortunately.

Upvote 0