Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Does anyone use straight braid with a short top shot of mono/fluoro when trolling for wahoo? If so, what would be the advantages over using straight mono?

calicobassguy

No pants on
Jan 8, 2011
Moorpark/CA/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Bendo
On a sportboat, any concerns about burning off other lines / fish in the spread with the braid? How short of a top shot are we talking about?

Last edited:

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
Jan 21, 2014
Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
Name
Shon
Boat
Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
I always run about 25 yards of 100# to my harness. Not too much stretch and I haven’t burned anyone off yet. Being by your rod and grabbing it right away has always been key for me. I’ve been burned off but it’s from guys not being by there troller and moving quick enough when a fish is hot.

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
I always run about 25 yards of 100# to my harness. Not too much stretch and I haven’t burned anyone off yet. Being by your rod and grabbing it right away has always been key for me. I’ve been burned off but it’s from guys not being by there troller and moving quick enough when a fish is hot.
On the LR boat I usually have a 25 yard wind-on mono leader and I set the drag below my 'Strike' drag and stay nearby. Initially the line is straight from the reel thru a mostly horizontal rod, so I keep the drag enough for hook-up but lower than once I am hooked up and holding the rod.

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
Jan 21, 2014
Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
Name
Shon
Boat
Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
On the LR boat I usually have a 25 yard wind-on mono leader and I set the drag below my 'Strike' drag and stay nearby. Initially the line is straight from the reel thru a mostly horizontal rod, so I keep the drag enough for hook-up but lower than once I am hooked up and holding the rod.
Spirit of Adventure has a funky set up that goes through the rail and all trollers are straight up. I do exactly what you do, tight enough for the strike and loosen a tad when I start fighting the fish. I’ve had good results that way.

Reactions: dh515

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
I have used spectra straight to the wire leader but normally use 25ft of flouro to the wire because I use the set up in other applications ,fly line baits/ chunk...Paul

Reactions: Cubeye

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I like having mono in the water when trolling....so I usually have a 100' topshot of mono......I would never use a topshot that I used for trolling for fly lining baits for cow tuna.....don't want to take the chance of using line that is compromised in any way......JMO

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
Hi Fishybuzz; I can see your point but have never in countered that situation yet ( I THINK?), usually after a short strike or bringing in a wahoo I check the line which is only 25ft before using for something else...Paul

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I like Fishy’s 100 feet of mono on a dedicated troll but in reality I usually throw my 50SDS on a Baja Boomer. It has a 20 foot 330# floururcarbon leader looped to 130# hollow. That gets crimped directly to the troll lure. Smaller spectra would cut off others easier, like casting jigs.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I have used spectra straight to the wire leader but normally use 25ft of flouro to the wire because I use the set up in other applications ,fly line baits/ chunk...Paul
I just always err on the side of caution when fishing for cows.....I will change out my topshot that i used all day at the end of the day even if I didn't get bit.....I like starting out the day with a fresh topshot and fresh connections.....one never knows when the next bite is
"the one"....LOL

I have a dedicated troller and dedicated kite outfit.....makes it easier.

Last edited:

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I've been thinking about setting up a dedicated troller. I've got an old Shimano 50 LRS that would fit the bill and a couple of 114H's if I decide to use Mike L's idea. I have total faith in anything Capt Mike says but I'd like to try a cowbell on travel days and that opens the door for hooking something besides a 'hoo.

Not sure about the rod either, but I'm leaning toward buying a used shorty (cheap + maneuverability).

Reactions: Bill W

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I've been thinking about setting up a dedicated troller. I've got an old Shimano 50 LRS that would fit the bill and a couple of 114H's if I decide to use Mike L's idea. I have total faith in anything Capt Mike says but I'd like to try a cowbell on travel days and that opens the door for hooking something besides a 'hoo.

Not sure about the rod either, but I'm leaning toward buying a used shorty (cheap + maneuverability).
If you troll during travel days, I would stick with the 50 just for the line capacity.......Just in case the boat doesn't stop when you yell "hook up"! the first time. Or the second time.

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I'll probably get yelled at for not having read everything on the topic, but has anyone caught a cow on the troll recently?

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
I saw a 187lb tuna caught on a marauder approx. 3yrs ago, I caught a 200lb marlin 4/5 yrs ago I hooked it in the bill , got my marauder back and it skipped on the surface for about a mile

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I'll probably get yelled at for not having read everything on the topic, but has anyone caught a cow on the troll recently?
Why would anybody yell about that? :) June Heat 2018, rolling into the Bank, Bob Michener was dragging a DTX 200. It went 208.

Reactions: Bill W

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
To entice "cows" on the troll..... drop it waaaaay back. I've seen a number of 150# - 250# YFT taken on the troll... but it's rare for them to eat it "short" ... where we usually troll for wahoo.

Although there are the usual colors... with a fish here and there..... purple and black seemed to produce better than others. Also.... my trip journals for 25 years show.... again more tuna trolling hookups on "hard" plugs ... early and late in the day.

Plus....NEVER leave your rod alone. Kite tape "flag" works. I don't even care if you sit in your folding chair on the stern.... While waiting. BUT....WHEN A HOOKUP HAPPENS, ITS UP TO YOU TO GET RID OF THAT THING!! In other words..... have a plan. Share it with those on your "trolling team". You'll be fishing with them for days....lol. Good luck.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Your question of personally preferred trolling set up. For me.... I still believe that trolling with High Quality mono has it's benefits over the other options. It's ALL about the "stretch and recovery"... Both of which are beneficial to schooled anglers.

The mono "stretch".... gives the fish an opportunity to slow down the plug, ie "off angle" strike. (reposition the lure in its mouth). The mono "recovery" SNAPS that hook into the jaw. Stretch and recover. It hooks fish better than any "stiff" flouro.

You gonna pay for it.... because one fish.... New mono top shot. But that SNAP....... it's magic! Buy good mono!!! The cheaper crap.... doesn't stretch or recover well. You can "feel" it, see the discoloration. No names.... but it's always been, you get what you pay for... lol.

So Spectra down.....50/100 yard mono top shot. Plus.... can you ever really clean Spectra after that diesel exhaust does its damage. Just saying.... try it, maybe you like it "OLD SCHOOL"...

I can hear my 90 year old dad yelling.... "If it AINT broke, DON'T fix it... lol :shake:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye and Warlord

Warlord

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
On our trips, my brother and I set up his TLD 50. It’s got 100# spectra with a 100# mono top shot. I’ve been on a number of the top boats and their troll gear has been sketchy.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Your question of personally preferred trolling set up. For me.... I still believe that trolling with High Quality mono has it's benefits over the other options. It's ALL about the "stretch and recovery"... Both of which are beneficial to schooled anglers.

The mono "stretch".... gives the fish an opportunity to slow down the plug, ie "off angle" strike. (reposition the lure in its mouth). The mono "recovery" SNAPS that hook into the jaw. Stretch and recover. It hooks fish better than any "stiff" flouro.
This may not relate to trolling, but when I use straight Spectra on my surface iron jig stick, I seem to lose more fish during the initial strike. The hooks don't seem to stick well as compared to straight mono. I've even replaced the stock hooks with "designer" hooks and it's a little better, but not much. I'm thinking maybe I should go back to mono.

This is using a surface iron for yellowtail.

Reactions: woodfish330

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Same effect. The spectra / flouro we've accepted as standard equiptment.... is not always the "ideal" connection. As with all things....The "trade" of certain material characteristics... comes at a steep price.

I'm with you... flouro or spectra direct tie "costs" us things.... that may have seemed insignificant in the big picture. Looking back.... I have learned there are some instances where our previous solutions were still superior to current technology. Hook set....used to be a function of the rod (action), mono (stretch) and the angler. We've taken out the mono stretch. (spectra/flouro) We've adjusted the rod (action) for spectra. And those trades.... have a cost! Jig fishing both surface and deep dropping are a place I want the "Snap".... that "recoil" that mono and a good rod bring.

My favorite jig stick is 90J. Just my thoughts .... technology is great. .. but not "mandatory".

Might I suggest a little "A / B" test for yourself. Rig 2 rods... side by side in the rack. Change to either .... on demand. Be fair with youself. Log your results... a few trips will show what and how worked most consistantly. Those results will speak for themselves. Mine did....lol. Remember it's not about appearances, or trends.... it's about the outcome working for YOU!

Last edited:

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
If my count is right I think Cubeye usually has a minimum of 8 wahoo rods rigged at a time. 2 - troll, 2 - bomb, 2 - jig and 2 - bait and that is just while we are moving from the dock to the bait barge. Once we start catching fish all bets are off. If there is a wahoo within 100 miles he will get it to bite sooner or later.