Trolling for Blue Marlin 10-30-2014 ( Video )

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I trolled all day with the big stuff + a Maurader. I got zipped or ripped for about five seconds at the end of the day on a Mean Joe green.Broke my heart. Started at the inside middle of the 9 mile bank. Water started at 71 degrees and turned to 72 on the outside of the bank. Painted in the north nine from the inside to the outside, no bait and no patties. Started down the outside of the nine and thought I saw a tuna boil. It end up being a submarine that came right up on me. The water was 71.5 all the way down the outside of the bank to the southern end. That's where I got ripped or zipped, Broke my heart.

Mstonefish

Captain
Feb 6, 2003
Escondido
Name
Mark
Boat
22' Bayrunner CC 140 Suzuki 4 stroke
Motherf*%$ [email protected]#$ I would have felt the same way...............mean joe green is my favorite and I hate it when they dont stick!

Reactions: Hardcor

milligan

Mar 21, 2009
redlands
Name
mike milligan
Boat
the legend
Tough break
I was really hoping someone would get a local halloween marlin or bigeye ...something to put a big exclamation point on the season.
Preferably on a mean joe green or an orange super chugger it almost happened.

Last edited:

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
You will get em next time Corey! I know the feeling sux! Strong work nonetheless!

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Maybe you should of gunned it to get a hookset?Good effort.
The fish just bit straight on and let go when it felt some pressure. The ones that bite, turn and run are the ones that have best chances of sticking. And yes a drop back could have got this fish, but he was fishing solo which makes that hard to pull off.

Last edited:

Bubba

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 6, 2004
Pismo Beach
Name
Bubba
Boat
18' Trophy
Reading that report was a nice break. Thanks for posting and better luck next time.

Dd you drop back after the zip?

Drop back would of helped but tough to do fishing 3-4 rigs solo.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Thanks for the report!
Did you see the fish that shortbit you and I.d. it as a marlin?
Dragged the big stuff the last two mornings for no marlin ourselves...........

We caught a BIG bonito on the drop back 1# mackerel after getting zipped. If it helps to tell yourself it wasn't a marlin, there ya go.....Who woulda thunk a bonito would eat a fairly big mack........yes I was rather disappointed on setting the hook and hell didn't break loose. At the same time I felt better that we didn't farm a marlin on the shortbite.

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Watched the video. Nice job catching the moment. May I make a suggestion? I've found they stay in the pattern much longer than most people think. If you get ripped, don't change your speed or your direction. Any change in the swimming action of the jigs will give him a moment to reconsider. Especially this year I've had them hit and zip 2 or 3 jigs over and over before giving up or hooking themselves.

Someone suggesting hitting the throttle. I don't think that works. I have found that as often as not that pulls the jig away and if its dropped like happens a lot of the time the fish will leave the pattern rather than hit another jig or your bait. If the jig is pulled out of position, reel it back while maintaining speed to try and tease the fish back into the pattern. At least you'll put the bait back in position to be hit again if he's still there.

Drop back at least one bait every time as soon as you can and be patient before calling it quits. Don't stop the boat until the fish is on the bait. If it doesn't take the baits, circle back and criss cross that area until you're sure it isn't coming back up. Another thing you can try is to slow troll the baits where you were bit. Stripers tend to travel in packs and even if the fish that hit is gone there could be more.

Their mouths are solid bone and they don't seem as affected by the hook as other fish on a short bite. We're conditioned from tuna to throttle back, circle and chum on a short bite but with marlin it cuts off your chances.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Last edited:
Reactions: Microbait

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Nice! Hey, at least you got short bit......and were out there to get short bit.

Looking at this weather system, I think it's more of a speedbump than a season ender.....I'll either confirm or dispel that theory next friday.

:D

Reactions: Larmo and Hardcor

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
Escondido
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can fish from
I agree with the speed bump idea for the season. I don't think this system is strong enough to kill the season. It'll just shake it up a bit. The fish will probably be in smaller pockets of water. I guess it'll all depend on what happens to the bait out there. Now is the time of the hardcore to go out there looking for that last exotic (i.e. Wahoo, Blue Marlin, Bigeye etc) with many boats being finished for the season.
Good luck out there.