Feb 27, 2021
cayman islands
Name
john loebell
Boat
Robalo
hi all im new to the group
i have a 22 ft robalo and run 5 lines
what would be your ideal trolling distance behind the boat , we fish for tuna mahi wahoo
many thanks

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
There is no one size fits all here, it will vary depending on conditions, what you are pulling and what you are fishing for. You mention wahoo, where are you fishing? Generally when targeting wahoo sub surface and fast are your best friends. There are endless articles on the web about this.
As to your question you should develop a pattern and stick with it, adjusting as you go to improve it. A basic pattern you could start with is right flat at 60', left flat at 75', right rigger at 90' and left rigger at 105. Then adjust so that the baits or lures are popping just right. Of course there are endless variations on this. Serious trollers usually have the rods marked, each dedicated to a specific position and the lines are marked as well to make it quick to set out the pattern. I use red and green tape for port and starboard and 6' rods in the rigger slots, 5'-6" rods for the flats. I also add floss loops at my distances and use them in the outrigger / downrigger clips.
5 lines is a lot for that small boat, you may find that difficult to manage at times. Even 4 can be tricky if you hit a school of mahi or tuna and load up. If you have a T-top or something and can place a rod up high and out of the way you can run a line straight down the middle like a mile behind the boat, a "stinger". Or you can employ a "poor mans downrigger", a #5 planer on ~50' of 3-400 mono using rubber band "release clip" and keep one line below the surface. ( this is extremely effective for wahoo )
Take me with you and I'll show you at least a dozen more tricks 8-)

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    That was the best two-paragraph summary about trolling that I've ever read! Brilliant!

The only thing that I can think of to add is to remember that different fish are either attracted to the boats' prop churn or are put off by it. We catch a lot of wahoo here on the West Coast by trolling right in the white water, not twenty feet behind the boat. And we usually have to get a bluefin tuna lure so far away from the boat that you are in serious danger of being cut off by a passing boater who has no idea that he is about to run over your line. And pay attention to trolling upswell or downswell, it can make a difference on any given day.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    3 wakes behind the boat or 126', whichever is greater.

• Haha
    Reactions: plj46 and ukjohnl
    Upvote 0

Glades Angel

Nov 15, 2020
    SoFla
    Name
    Robert M Rogers
    Boat
    Aquasport 215
    Google The Art of Trolling Skirted Lures by Peter Pakula.

It is the single best trolling primer I've ever read.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Keep going til you get bit

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    I used to fish with a good old friend in tournaments...we would fis 9 rods on a 21 foot whaler with out riggers,stern flat lines and could turn without getting tangles...the key is put the longest rods out first and work back to the shortest

One whiskey line down the center way way back at least 80 yards ...then out riggers...then port and starboard forward holders facing outboard with long rods and port and starboard corners with short rods facing straight back...then the flat lines tightly stern clipped half way between the engine and corners...each of these getting progressively shorter and deeper running.

It ages practice getting the distances right and this isn't the time for rookies setting the rods out...the helmsman can help by slightly zig zapping so the correct length for each pair to slide under the next longest.

Yeah you'll need help if you get bit so make it clear to your crew which get pulled first...and generally you keep the boat moving shortest distance rods in first

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I had a pair of rodriggers and also a pair of flatline release clips and ran 2 lines short off the transom release clips and two lines long off the rodriggers on my 22 center console.4 lines was plenty for me.If you dont have outriggers get some rodriggers (poormans outrigger)that slip into the rodholders,huge help.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

jackedup

Oct 2, 2020
    Daytona Beach Florida
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    37 seahunter 21 Shoalwater
    Great advise guys!

Upvote 0