Trolling bags to slow the troll using the main?

Syoungs

Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat Name
Trophy 2459
Hi all.
Looking to do some salmon fishing over the next few weeks while they are in my backyard (columbia river, richland area)
I dont have a working kicker at this time, waiting on some parts that are tough to find. Boat is a 23' Trophy, model 2459. Powered by a i/o 260hp mercruiser.
Dont want to install a trolling plate, as I normally have a kicker. Main will troll upstream at a slow enough pace, but going downstream I need to kill 1.8-2.5mph most days on the columbia.

Thinking I will get 2 drift socks, and run them from the bow cleats, to about mid boat. Seems like this method would slow the boat, be easy enough to deploy on either side, and I wouldnt be fighting boat control while they are deployed like I think I will with a single sock. They also stay out of the way for fighting/netting fish without input.

Anyone more experienced have any ideas about this? good idea or not? What size socks should I be looking for?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Syoungs

Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat Name
Trophy 2459
5 gallon buckets.... not sure yiu need 2 drift socks

I was only thinking 2, so there would be an equal pull on the boat for handling sake. Totally a newbie when it comes to drift socks though, so it might not be needed.
I think Ill try a couple 5 gallon buckets this weekend and see how that does before spending the money on socks.

Upvote 0

Syoungs

Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat Name
Trophy 2459
Yeah you will be surprised how well an appropriately sized drift sock will work
if im running a single large sock, how should I rig it. I think ive got a 30" sock in storage that came with the boat when I purchased it, cant remember if its still around. I dont really want it behind the boat where it chances fouling the prop, or gets in the way of fish being played.
Can I just attach it to a bow cleat and let it hang on the port side of the boat?

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
2 drift socks, and run them from the bow cleats, to about mid boat.
Tied off midship to not roll under.

I have friends that do this.

What is your current idle speed? You can catch salmon faster than you think. Just have to troll the right junk for your speed. Spoons and plugs work great.

Upvote 0

4L2NA

Almost A Member
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat Name
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
I run a couple of trolling bags ("Beefy Bags...Amishoutfitters.com ...not sure if they are still making these), midship, one on each side, when slow trolling for halibut and can get 1.5-2.1 kts or so, depending on conditions....(D4 diesel on a 25' Davis). It works, but certainly not ideal, can be a PIA if solo, but it's what I've got. For my set up, a bridle works best to keep the bags low in the water. The bridle is attached low to the bow eye (you won't be able to disconnect/connect it unless you like to swim, so I do this before launching)
20180507_074716.jpg
P1060244.JPG
P1060253.JPG

Upvote 0

Syoungs

Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat Name
Trophy 2459
Tied off midship to not roll under.

I have friends that do this.

What is your current idle speed? You can catch salmon faster than you think. Just have to troll the right junk for your speed. Spoons and plugs work great.
going downstream I can hit 4+mph most days at an idle, its just a little to fast to keep the flashers rolling right. The ticket around here seems to be a skateboard flasher with a brads cut plug or superbait. trolling upstream is fine, but ive had better luck in the past trolling downstream. if I had some method to slow the boat down I could troll back and forth on a path hugging the structure a tad easier.
The troll is path is a little less then 1 mile, would really like to be able to troll both directions.

Upvote 0

Syoungs

Aug 22, 2018
Eastern wa
Name
STEPHEN YOUNGS
Boat Name
Trophy 2459
yeah, I dont remember the exact speed over water, but it was too fast for the flashers. Ill go out this weekend and play around some more and get actual numbers, try some buckets and the possible bag I have, maybe catch a fish!

Upvote 0

WesternGate

Apr 16, 2019
North of SB
Name
Chris
Boat Name
24' Radon
Depending on the conditions, I run a 24" drift sock on either side of the boat and it works great. Under $20/each on amazon. I don't both with rigging a release on them, they're not hard to bring in. I have a larger, appropriately sized one off the boat if I ever need it too.

Upvote 0

punted coho

• Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat Name
    Yes
    On my 19’ sled when I troll for sockeye I’ll run 2 drift socks off the cleats in the front so they stay out of the way.

Upvote 0

Tesoro

• Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    If you are trolling up stream or down stream under same rpm then you are going same speed in the water, but faster of slower on ground speed. water speed is what counts. Best way is to set your rpm on lure action. wind of course is another factor.

Reactions: Syoungs
    Upvote 0

troweller

May 17, 2008
    california
    Name
    jeff
    Boat Name
    Overboard
    I’ve been running 2 36” trolling bags from Amish Outfitters, on 28’ pilot house. They recommend tying them midship to stern. The major concerns from bow to midship are falling in the water and the time it takes to deploy or stow in hazardous situations.

Upvote 0