Sitting at A-Bay
Feb 24, 2005
Waikoloa, HI
Name
MikeO
Boat
27 World Cat, True Lies
Aloha,

Yesterday I fished on the A'u Struck with Capt. Rich and we hosted John from Arizona. We headed up to the grounds north of the airport where plenty of fish were caught on the previous day. At 8:30 I saw a nice splash behind the short rigger and then it came down followed shortly by the long rigger. As we slowed the boat the stinger got bit and we had 3 bent poles. It turned out that all 3 were striped marlin and amazingly they all stuck for us. I tend to be a C&R guy, but these fish were all perfect eating size in the 40# range and the capt. decided to get the decks bloody. We were able to boat all 3 fish. Later on we were working in the porpoise school and the boat next to us hooked up on a green stick. Shortly after that our stinger went down and we were hoping for sickles, but it was another stripey that jumped across the back of our pattern and spit the hook.
Here is a video of the action....
[ame]http://youtu.be/ubE0acJAWgw[/ame]

Attachments

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Mike, Capt Rich and John,

Good goin' guys on what sounds and looks like a very successful day. The dorsal does look a little like a Hebi on the right fish, BUT I have seen similar dorsal on small Nairagis before, certainly not a short billed critter... Thanks for the vid.

Cheers
Pat

MikeO

Sitting at A-Bay
Feb 24, 2005
Waikoloa, HI
Name
MikeO
Boat
27 World Cat, True Lies
All of the fish were striped marlin. The dorsal on the right fish does look like the dorsal on a hebi but the front part of the body and the bill belong to a stripey. This photo shows the longer bill a little better.

Attachments

LongRigger

Jul 1, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Name
John
Boat
50 ft Custom Sportfisher
Mike, good going! Hopefully some of thse make their way over here soon! I caught a stripey the other week with the same exact hebi dorsal, i was confused as well, but th bill and the markings and the meat was all stripey. Looks like that poor pinky lure took a beating on the side of the boat on the second fish haha, had me grimacing in pain! Stripey sashimi is the best, especially in that 40 pound size, nice going man!

MikeO

Sitting at A-Bay
Feb 24, 2005
Waikoloa, HI
Name
MikeO
Boat
27 World Cat, True Lies
Mike, good going! Hopefully some of thse make their way over here soon! I caught a stripey the other week with the same exact hebi dorsal, i was confused as well, but th bill and the markings and the meat was all stripey. Looks like that poor pinky lure took a beating on the side of the boat on the second fish haha, had me grimacing in pain! Stripey sashimi is the best, especially in that 40 pound size, nice going man!
Hi John,

You are right....the meat is the dead give away if you are confused by the outside of the fish. This meat was beautiful white fillets and almost ono-like compared the the darker spearfish meat.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Hi John,

You are right....the meat is the dead give away if you are confused by the outside of the fish. This meat was beautiful white fillets and almost ono-like compared the the darker spearfish meat.

Crazy. All of our striped marlin meat here is DARK red. Nothing light about it at all.

I thought they looked like chuckar too, but the bills are too long I think...

Nice work.

Oahu bound

Landlocked fishing addict
Feb 21, 2013
Texas
Name
Phil
Boat
The "man I really wish I had one"
Hope those make it towards Oahu by the 11th, maybe someone can tell them to make sure of it?

Anyway, great catch!