critical

Almost A Member
May 30, 2012
Dana
Name
Stuart
Boat
Grady
Left Dana Point Harbor with half a scoop of dines around 6 am. Made macs with cat food and dead dines, took 3 spots and about an hour but eventually they found us and we made 30 or so. Time to go.

Just outside the break 3 miles out we buzz a nice sized kelp with tails so we turn around and try. First retrieve brings 4 or 5 smalls off the kelp. We look at each other and agree there r bigger fish to fry.

Set the gps. 35 miles to go. Moderate amount of kelps inside the 209 area. Lifeless and kelpless between 209 and 181. Life picks up ourteide the 181. The whole way out I'm hearing requests for 289 info that go unanswered. I'm intrigued. 5 miles from th spot I hear cold and lifeless. Great.

Get to the high spot and there are a hand full of boats and a ton of kelps. Fished 3 or 4 buzzed a few with smalls saw many boats fishing kelps but no sign of tuna. Hear on the radio we've got em foaming in the area so we perk up.

Sun comes out at noon and the tuna go ballistic. Every time you look hard there's a 200 yard school blowin up somewhere multiple 50 yards and many many groups of 2 or 4 splashes. Needless to say we're pumped and it's on.

We work the area with two ther boats. One doing the kite and flyer thing and the other might be slow trolling. At this point were observing going 1-2 with macs in.

Other boat hooks up on a slow troll good sign. Big boats stops .5 mile away. They're prob hooked up on the flyer. Cmon it's our turn. Hammer up to the next school at a ripping 6 mph they start to go off out bow then out starboard.

We've got position. I let out the weighted rig, there's already a Mac 100 back. 1/4 way out with the weighted rig Amila says hookup and we're ON!!! Fuck yes our turn. Fish comes tight 8/0 4x offset circle is set. 80 pound rig with 100 pound leader gets pushed up to about 15 pounds of drag for the initial run plenty of line out. I slam him up to 20 and start cranking full speed. Fish comes fully tight and I finally feel the full weight. Holy shit I think it's Juan. The Juan we're looking for. Get the boat over to the fish and we're up n down n 10 minutes. I hand off to my dad so he can get some work in. He's never even caught a tuna. These tighter circles required a little more Agressive boat fighting. He goes 10 or 15 minutes in the ring and and it's time to go back to work.

Get the rod back and put the wood to the fish. 5 minutes of pumping and we've got deep color. 8 more circles and I hand the rod back to pops for the final approach to that tunas destination. 3 circles for pops and I sink a gaf into the gill plate. Fish is under control but tail is pointing straight down. I gamble on a pull and the gaf rips out, fish splashes back in a wash of blood and bubbles. Big Bertha pops back up for one more spin and a get her in the belly :( before she catches my prop. Pops grabs her tail and he hoist her in. Wow what a beast of a fish. Couldn't believe it. I'd call it my second bft attempt but my first attempt going the distance with everything I needed and not just a hope at getting magnum lucky at an inshore banks fish.

Got a nice 25 pound yellow on the same rig later in the day trolling last a kelp that we visually saw yt on as we went passed. Fiancé had to get hers too. She had a good time horsing that one in.

This was too incredible of an experience not to share. Overall, perfect day. Perfect weather, perfect company and perfect results. I'm ready for round 2.

Fish went 114 on Dana scale

image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Awesome story, beautiful pics and a hot woman. . . brother you are blessed!!!

What a spread you laid out. . . that's all good grub my friend!

Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

bones321

Apr 17, 2013
Orange
Name
Jimmy
Boat
No Boat:/
Hell yea Stu! Let me know when you need a skipper to join you on round 2! Saw all the pictures def. jealous. Great catch. Great report

Reactions: critical
Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Man that's awesome congrats!

Upvote 0

critical

Almost A Member
May 30, 2012
Dana
Name
Stuart
Boat
Grady
Dude you nailed that spread. Please run through the menu. My wife says I can go fishing if I provide a dinner like that.:appl:

Counterclockwise starting at the right:
Toro: green onions, no sauce.
Poke: sesame oil, sesame chili oil, onions, challot, green onion, 2 cloves garlic pressed, crushed red pepper, sea salt extra course, toasted sesame seeds
Tuna sashimi: little swipe of wasabi, drizzle soy(not pictured)
Tail sashimi: thin peño, drizzle ponzu(not pictured, forgot it)
Spicy tuna roll: spicy tuna(sesame/ chili sesame, seeds, green onion, onion, challot, syracha rooster, finely minced), heavy cucumber
Tuna roll: tuna, cucumber, avocado
Spicy tuna hand roll: spicy tuna, snack sized seaweed
Seared tuna: hot cast iron skillet, sesame oil, chili sesame, sesame seeds, course sea salt, crushed red, 30-45 seconds 60 max each side. freezer for 5-10 minutes one side. Flip it over 5-10 minutes other side while you prep

All the ingredients are the same across the board. I try to stay basic. Take it easy on course sea salt, one crunch per bite is plenty. There are an infinite amount of accoutrements. Please tell me what I'm missing!

Reactions: b-reel
Upvote 0

critical

Almost A Member
May 30, 2012
Dana
Name
Stuart
Boat
Grady
Update: Continuing the trend of phenomenal eats provided by this fish... This just in from last night.

Monday night the idea struck me. A poke party shall be had! We must enjoy this fish fresh! I put together a list of all the options we had on the table. We prepared chipotle style and everyone included as much or as little as they wanted.

Appetizer was the usual:
Sashimi
Toro
Seared tuna

This gets everyone introduced to the flavors of the tuna on a basic scale. A little warm up.

Next is the poke base:
Sesame oil
Sesame chili oil
Sea salt
Sesame seeds
Crushed red pepper

Mixed in a big bowl and ready for extras. These included:
Onion
Green onion
Challot
Daikon
Cucumber
Yellow bell pepper!!
Jalapeño
Avocado
Masago
Cilantro
Purple stringy seaweed
Seaweed salad
Fresh ginger
Pickled ginger
Lemon zest!!
Miso paste
Real wasabi root
Syracha
Furikake

Def went suicide style on one round and got some of everything.
Toss everything in a bowl and then eat it over rice. Best poke I've ever had hands down and I've tried and made a few.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: YangReaper86
Upvote 0

tunastryker25

Almost A Member
May 14, 2007
OC
Name
Kevin
Boat
Triton 2486 WA
last pic with all the emptied and cleaned dishes is PRICELESS!!! If you look closely, even the freakin' chopstick is licked clean...

Upvote 0