Relentless Pursuit
Dec 20, 2009
Seattle
Name
John
Boat Name
315 OS Pursuit
Hi All,
I'll soon be purchasing a new for me boat and will be needing a trailer for it. I am looking at Tuff Trailer out of Ferndale for the build but wanted to know what others may have as far as input/advice.
Aluminum frame, triple axle, bunk style, electric over hydraulic disc brakes.
Boat
315 Pursuit
Overall weight will be close to 13,500 to 14 k with engines, fuel, water, coolers, ect...
10-8" Beam
33 L.O.A.

Will be towing with a 1999 F350 Dually.
I previously had a 3070 Pursuit so have done this before but am looking to buy a solid trailer built for the job for and want to make an educated choice. Thought I would see what advice is out there in this vast pool of knowledge we call Bloody Decks.
Cheers

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat Name
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I have a friend that bought a pursuit 3370 a month ago, had a trailer built for it my Myco Trailers in Florida, trailer was delivered to Bend Oregon this morning 3/1/2021.
15,000 carrying capacity, trailer weight 2,700lbs, 10" "C" channel tri-axle, stainless disc brakes on all wheel, H/E, sent me a picture, impressive looking trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaveDancer
Upvote 0

jbuck

Sep 5, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Name
josh
Boat Name
29' Dyer Hardtop, 210 Ventura
I had a 13,500lb triple axle trailer built by Tuff a few years ago. My 29' boat weighs about 9,500 empty and 12k+ ready to fish. I wish I would have went with a 15k as my frames flex more then I would like, I also went with 16" wheels instead of the 15" that came standard. I'd also go EOH next time.

Upvote 0

Hoghunter

Dec 2, 2006
Woodinville, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat Name
nonya
Tuff is a good trailer. Just make sure your carry capacity is more than what you will ever weigh. I owned that model Pursuit for several years. I carried it on an EZ Loader Triple axle aluminum with 15,000lb carry capacity and the electric over hydraulic brakes. I regularly loaded out at between 13,400 and 14,000 on Canada trips. Never had a problem. Towed like a dream behind my Chevy dally. Congrats on your buy. I loved mine dearly.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat Name
JuiceBox2
I was told a few weeks ago that my Tuff trailer would be delayed due to Covid shut down of the factory. Would most likely be April when I would see my trailer.

Well Beth just called me and said all done!

I'm just going with a baby tandem 10k# trailer, went 16" tires and spinners, EOH, they only do bunk slicks.

Let's get fishin!!!!

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
May 9, 2014
Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat Name
Boatless.....
pay now, pay later. nothing is bulletproof in salt. That is a heavy setup you will be dragging, reserve margin > 10% would be my minimum spec. EOH a must if you venture into BC, but w ferry cost , overwide and a Caddy boat like yours - i would ( and do ) transit by water in BC.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat Name
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Overall good quality with Tuff, all the wiring and break lines are in looms. Nice thing about tuff is all the bolts are SS, so easy to mod/adjust/upkeep. They also make a good EOH stack to keep everything up high out of the road grit and water. (granted a triple the stack likely won’t get close to the water). —. I’ve never had the “vault” bearings, so jury is out on that.

Upvote 0

OMEGA

Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat Name
40 Cabo FB
I have a friend that bought a pursuit 3370 a month ago, had a trailer built for it my Myco Trailers in Florida, trailer was delivered to Bend Oregon this morning 3/1/2021.
15,000 carrying capacity, trailer weight 2,700lbs, 10" "C" channel tri-axle, stainless disc brakes on all wheel, H/E, sent me a picture, impressive looking trailer.

For Boat Trailers there is not much better out there than a Myco. They build a very nice trailer.

Reactions: RecklessPursuit
Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat Name
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
I just bought a new trailer. I bought a venture. They are Definetly a price point trailer. I prefer leaf over torsion axles so that was a win. I have EOH in all 3 axles with a dexter actuator. The channel is the same dimension as toughs 21k trailer.
The 8lug axles are for sure piece of mind.
The winch post is stout.
I spent 250$ at Tacoma Screw on stainless hardware to replace what wasn’t(almost everything) and a 150$ on Amazon for the 5,000 pound Fulton tongue jack becasue it came with a 1,000 lb piece of shit.

i have about 1000 miles on it so far, and am very impressed with how it goes and handles the boat.

for me its 1000x better than what I had. Paid 11,700 with tax. Came with a spare tire too.

pictures Are from the day it came off of old rusty on to the new venture

E27BCDA5-2186-4438-9779-03405966E642.jpeg

82448330-AB42-4BFE-A8DC-81AEE30F424B.jpeg

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

• Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    I'm looking to purchase a large glass boat (33x10'7") on a trailer. dry weight is about 13k.
    Both of the boats I've looked at where on trailers and both owners said the trailers have never seen salt. Always sling launched. They looked at me like I was crazy when i told them I plan on dipping the trailer a lot. I plan on hauling the boat lots of places to launch, and very few have slings. Do you big boat guys have any issues launching the big boys? My last boat was a 27' Grady that I had no problem launching solo. I know a heavy 33 is a lot of boat on a trailer, I wont be doing day trips to Neah Bay, Westport, or Ilwaco like I used to..

I would think that having tall guide posts on the back would help center the boat when loading.

Anyone launched a big boat at Gold River??

Upvote 0

Jasper H

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat Name
    30’ Osprey
    My boat is the same size as your talking about, WP, Everett, cornet bay have been no problem. If I’m going to Sekiu I am launching from Everett, but I’ve seen some big boats launched from Olsens, no chance at Van Rippers.

With my current trailer set up it would scary as hell trying to pull the boat out solo, which I’m not a fan of, my next move will be adding some tall guide post, I think that should help.

launching the boat solo is still easy.

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat Name
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    I'm looking to purchase a large glass boat (33x10'7") on a trailer. dry weight is about 13k.
    Both of the boats I've looked at where on trailers and both owners said the trailers have never seen salt. Always sling launched. They looked at me like I was crazy when i told them I plan on dipping the trailer a lot. I plan on hauling the boat lots of places to launch, and very few have slings. Do you big boat guys have any issues launching the big boys? My last boat was a 27' Grady that I had no problem launching solo. I know a heavy 33 is a lot of boat on a trailer, I wont be doing day trips to Neah Bay, Westport, or Ilwaco like I used to..

I would think that having tall guide posts on the back would help center the boat when loading.

I launch and retrieve mine solo all the time. It’s doable. I have a procedure I don’t deviate from. And a mental checklist for no fuck ups. I actually prefer it over people helping sometimes.

Upvote 0

Hoghunter

Dec 2, 2006
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    nonya
    I’ve launched a 30 Grady Marlin and 315 Pursuit at Gold River more times than I can remember. Never had a problem. But I always launched at or close to high tide. Biggest problem is the shallow channel out by where the planes tie. I also launched both of these boats by myself many times. It’s a process but I did it regularly and never had problems.

Reactions: Hot_Pursuit
    Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Boatless.....

launched a 24’ Almar and 27’ Orca at Gold River many times, you will be limited to big floods w 33’ and the mayhem and circus that any flood tide brings to that ramp.
    my home port is Westview, now i just run her there on bottom...

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Boatless.....
    BTW, all the trailered 33’ Grady ( three and one in Ohio ) i surveyed in SC had chine cracks and water intrusion, that’s a big boat. trailer fit and nailing it is imo essential. load guides a plus.

Upvote 0

Hot_Pursuit

• Jun 21, 2013
    Seabeck
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    2022 Pursuit OS325
    What do you guys have for winches on the triple trailers? My Grady I had to load short, then winch it up tight. It was on a roller trailer. I don't imagine a 15k boat on bunks is gonna move easy if its a little short of the bow stop.

Upvote 0

Vek

Jan 17, 2008
    Blaine
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    28' Almar
    When I did my tufftrailer, I specified a pair of 6000lb axles. The axles used by Tuff are 6000lb, but 6 lug and a smaller bearing series than the 7000lb axles (same bearings as 5200lb axles). Bad assumption on my part that I'd get 8-lug axles. In hindsight I'd have bought the 7000lb axles with their bigger bearings and 8 lugs.

I have a set of Bridgestone R250 235/85R16 light truck tires on mine. Told Tuff to keep the ST 235/80R16 tires. They have steel sidewalls and have been bomber. The R250 has been replaced by another (R238?). Similar tire as Michelin XPS rib. Folks will freak out that you're putting 3042lb tires on a 7000lb axle...that may be why I ended up with 6000lb axles from tuff, but with 3 axles at 7000lb you've overshot your need by a healthy margin and have room to use good tires instead of ST's. There are probably g-rated 235/85/16s out there that are decent and rated to 3500+lbs, but the commercial light truck tires at 3042lbs are a known good quantity. My next set will be 245/75R16 in order to have the trailer ride a touch lower.

The vault hubs worked okay for a time, then the left rear blew its seal about the time they needed new brake parts and rotor resurfacing. I bought some bearing buddies and have run that way since, but have the parts on hand to convert back to vault. Nothing wrong with vault in concept, if they stay sealed. You'll know when they lose seal (lots of flung grease and the little hub button is depressed)...just carry a spare buddy or two and some conventional marine grease. Pull the hub, clean everything, repack with marine grease, and go that way until you want to diagnose the seal and convert back to vault.

Upvote 0

Vek

Jan 17, 2008
    Blaine
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    28' Almar
    One more thing. I put weight distribution by Equal-I-Zer on my trailer. I'm right 12k trailer weight loaded. Tow vehicle is a crewcab F350. I've towed without the weight distribution for one summer: 750 miles when I picked up the boat from Haines to Anchorage, then the rest of the summer between Anchorage and Whittier or Seward. Lots of bumps and whoopdies on those roads. Then I installed the weight distribution and towed it down the Cassiar when I moved back here, and have since had it up and down Vancouver Island to Winter Harbour about 8 times. WAY better ride and comfort with the weight distribution; I can't recommend it highly enough. Make some measurements and have your builder leave room for a "pole tongue adapter" from which to hang the spring bars.

I had the pole tongue adapter made because I didn't like the commercially available ones. Happy to share more info if you want. It's way less complicated than the website pictures show.

Tekonsha prodigy P2 and P3 work well with EOH brakes.

Upvote 0

RecklessPursuit

Relentless Pursuit
    Dec 20, 2009
    Seattle
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    315 OS Pursuit
    One more thing. I put weight distribution by Equal-I-Zer on my trailer. I'm right 12k trailer weight loaded. Tow vehicle is a crewcab F350. I've towed without the weight distribution for one summer: 750 miles when I picked up the boat from Haines to Anchorage, then the rest of the summer between Anchorage and Whittier or Seward. Lots of bumps and whoopdies on those roads. Then I installed the weight distribution and towed it down the Cassiar when I moved back here, and have since had it up and down Vancouver Island to Winter Harbour about 8 times. WAY better ride and comfort with the weight distribution; I can't recommend it highly enough. Make some measurements and have your builder leave room for a "pole tongue adapter" from which to hang the spring bars.

I had the pole tongue adapter made because I didn't like the commercially available ones. Happy to share more info if you want. It's way less complicated than the website pictures show.

Tekonsha prodigy P2 and P3 work well with EOH brakes.
    Great advice, sounds like you've done some longs hauls. I plan mostly to run to BC and Westport which are all good roads. I have heard about the distribution kits but have not experienced them yet. Will have to try
    thx much

Upvote 0

RecklessPursuit

Relentless Pursuit
    Dec 20, 2009
    Seattle
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    315 OS Pursuit

I towed a 3070 Pursuit previously with my Dually and a Tuff trailer that I had purchased well used but it always needed a lot of work. I feel confident their product but just doing my due diligence as I want a trailer built to suit this round.
    As mentioned by other Gold River is fine as long as you have the water I/,ve been stuck there with the 3070 waiting the tides. It is also much improved these last few years as it was a shit launch 5-6 years back.

Upvote 0