Trip/Vacation Insurance

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by wils, Aug 8, 2015.

1. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    We all know (or most of us know. or some of us know. or only I know?) that we can buy "vacation insurance" where if your trip/vacation falls through for various reasons (but not all reasons), you get your monies/some of your monies/not all of your monies back.

Question:
    Does this insurance cover broken boat parts resulting in curtailed/canceled/severely shortened "vacation"?

2. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Member

Name:
    John Gleaves
    Boat:
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Wish I could remember the name of the insurance guy that just spoke Wed PM to the San Diego Anglers Club about insurance for fish trips. He does much of the insurance for many of the sportfish owners in town(landings, etc.). Will try to dig up his name.

Basically said the coverage is for each day of fishing on a trip. You miss a day due to weather/mechanical, you get reimbursed at 150%. 15 day trip has roughly 8 "fishing" days so if you lose any of those days, get some money back.

Our regular speaker Phil Friedman had his car breakdown on the way to the meeting so the insurance guy filled in for him. Will send an email out and try to post his name on a reply later.

progearfan likes this.
  3. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Used AIG's "Travel Guard" trip insurance product on occasion. No claims, but very straightforward process. I set it up through the agency listed below, but there are others who sell it. Hope this helps!

- Jeff Burroughs

Dawson & Associates Insurance Services
    www.drinsure.com/
    5000 Thorne Drive, Suite A. La Mesa, CA 91942.
    Phone: (619) 460-5615. Fax (619) 460-5628. Fax: (619) 460-5628.
    Ca. Lic. 0540346. [email protected]drinsure.com.

4. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    I was once told, by a very wise man, that you should only insure what you can't afford to replace as insurance companies are in business to turn a profit. If you get into a wreck, get sick, or your house burns down, you better have it. On the other hand, trip insurance is like blackjack insurance, in the long run, it doesn't pencil. jmo

Juanba and Cybertuna like this.
  5. bbuck

bbuck Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Buck
    Boat:
    sunk
    Bob Dawson of Dawson @ Assoc. is an experienced long ranger himself so he knows what the LR guy's need in terms of trip ins. Have been using him for several years and while I've never had a claim, a friend did and they paid off like a slot machine.

ifish42na likes this.
  6. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Member

Name:
    John Gleaves
    Boat:
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Others beat me getting you the name. His name is Bob Dawson from Dawson Insurance in LA Mesa. Check it out

7. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Thanks to all for your replies. Bob Dawson was mentioned in a PM, also. My next trip, I'll be coming down from central oregon. I dont want to be left holding the bag (of credit card receipts) if the boat breaks.

8. capjimy

capjimy Member

Name:
    Jim Kokesh
    Boat:
    24 ft. farallon, Reel Sport
    l've wondered about trip ins, what does it cost to ins a 15 day trip?

9. ifish42na

ifish42na No Bad Days

Name:
    Basil
    Boat:
    Friends With Boats
    Bob Dawson answers all questions about trip insurance during his appearance on Let's Talk Hookup, July 18th. You can find the replay in iTunes for free. He offers a yearly policy which works best for me, covers all your trips. Have a listen.

wils likes this.