Trip to San Diego

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Coalinga and the Harris Ranch still stink. Great tri-tip sandwich though. When a fire breaks out at the 210/15 area, and closes the road, all traffic gets sent down the 605. Took 3.5 hours to get to the 405...the Santa Ana Fwy had a sign saying don't even try. The Vagabond Motel is now a hotel...but it's still comfy. I liked Mitch's better when it was Hudson's. Food was good, but the crowd was almost all upscale...heels on the ladies, and dressed to kill. Used to be you'd see boat crews eating in there. Even with the 15 to 20 percent they get as tips today:-)D :D :D), I didn't see any. Sat next to 2 gals that were discussing low gear ratios on different reels, early '60's I'd guess. Said they have girls night every week at Mitch's, and always fish the New Lo Ann...since Dan Sansome owned it. All in all a good experience so far...nothing stays the same, and change is good. I gotta find a different spot for gas and lunch though...I can still smell Coalinga.

ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Sounds like a tough slog to SD but you made it. Kinda makes a coldie taste even better!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Craig, welcome back. Time to visit some shops? Squidco for sure, Charkbait and Angler’s Choice. Maybe you’ll run into Riddler, catch up?

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
Coalinga and the Harris Ranch still stink. Great tri-tip sandwich though. When a fire breaks out at the 210/15 area, and closes the road, all traffic gets sent down the 605. Took 3.5 hours to get to the 405...the Santa Ana Fwy had a sign saying don't even try. The Vagabond Motel is now a hotel...but it's still comfy. I liked Mitch's better when it was Hudson's. Food was good, but the crowd was almost all upscale...heels on the ladies, and dressed to kill. Used to be you'd see boat crews eating in there. Even with the 15 to 20 percent they get as tips today:-)D :D :D), I didn't see any. Sat next to 2 gals that were discussing low gear ratios on different reels, early '60's I'd guess. Said they have girls night every week at Mitch's, and always fish the New Lo Ann...since Dan Sansome owned it. All in all a good experience so far...nothing stays the same, and change is good. I gotta find a different spot for gas and lunch though...I can still smell Coalinga.
I gave up driving to SD years ago. I just flew SW round trip from SFO to SD for my 8 day. $139 round trip. I can't drive that cheap. 6:00AM flight out of SFO morning of my trip. . I'm at the landing by 8:30am. Kinda a hassle to check in the rods but it works.

Reactions: freegaff2

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
LA freeways is the problem, other than that nice roadie.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I also live in the Bay Area...travel time is critical for maximizing trip enjoyment! On a normal trip I leave at 5am.....pass all the usual subjects along the way.....including bumper to bumper traffic solid into the Bay Area...opposite direction....A great reminder you are on vacation and heading out of the rat race! Speaking of which...Leaving early gives you uncluttered freeways from the Bay Area all the way to LA. LA you never know but 10am is a good time to be cruising through.....this puts you in SD around 2 or 3 depending on SCAL traffic....this allows you check into your place....relax....go shopping...check out the scene etc.....all ready for your next days trip!

This is the perfect plan for boats that you board based on your deposit.

If I’m going on an old school boat I leave at like 10 pm....drive all night...get in line when I get to SD. I’m anal on this part...my last RS trip I was like 6th and got there about 3am. Few years back I was third on the AA and got there at 1am.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Alternate route. I live in the Central Valley. I usually stop in Northridge at my brothers place before heading south. The Los Angeles, Orange County traffic is getting horrible. Unless you are traveling thru at light traffic times, which is probably 3 AM you'll find heavy traffic. I talked to someone who travels from San Diego to the Central Valley monthly and he said to go thru Corona. I have tried it several times. The route below adds about 20 miles from Northridge and takes a little over 3 hours, but the traffic isn't as bad. Try it sometime. Look at the map.

I 5 South to the 210 East.
57 South.
71 South.
91 East to Corona. You might hit some traffic here.
15 South to San Diego.
you can stay on the 15 or take the 163. It starts near Scripps and bisects between the 15 and 805, it's a bit shorter.
Then I 8 to the beach and off at Rosecrans.

DMcD

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
heading south...58 over Tehachapis to 395 south at Kramer Junction to I-15...and then just keep heading south until getting on the 163. eliminates a lot of the traffic heading through cities.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Sorry guys, I know this is a real issue but I just have to laugh to myself as this all sounds like an SNL skit. Living in Alaska for 30 years in places with one road and few if any traffic signs let alone lights I just have to say you all have my sympathies dealing with such issues. But I did live in SoCal in the 80's before it got so bad. Always amazed that there was not more traffic in Long Beach at 1 am when I went to work.

Reactions: Olddog8

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
I live in the west San Fernando Valley, only about 10 miles from the Ventura County border and therefore have to traverse just about all of LA County before I even get to Orange and then San Diego Counties. To deal with it, I learned to do three things:

1) I leave real early, like 4 am. Not really too hard to get up then because I'm usually too excited to sleep anyway.

2) I check sigalert.com before leaving to see if there are any bottlenecks. Once on the road, I listen to AM 1070, which has traffic reports every 10 minutes, even that early. If there is an accident or road closure, I can adjust my route.

3) LA deserves the reputation of having a lot of freeways which can be confusing, but it also means that there are a lot of options. For example, one can take any of the 405, the 101, the 5, the 710, the 605, etc. south. If one is choked up, drive to the next. It might require having a LA freeway map by your side to know where the chokepoints and alternate routes are, but it can be real helpful. Its tough once you get past the El Toro Y because there isn't much in the way of alternate routes if you aren't already on the inland route noted by Rich G above.

And of course, allow time for road mess "just in case"; if there's no problem on the roads, there might be one trying to find a parking space at the Big 3.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Alternate route. I live in the Central Valley. I usually stop in Northridge at my brothers place before heading south. The Los Angeles, Orange County traffic is getting horrible. Unless you are traveling thru at light traffic times, which is probably 3 AM you'll find heavy traffic. I talked to someone who travels from San Diego to the Central Valley monthly and he said to go thru Corona. I have tried it several times. The route below adds about 20 miles from Northridge and takes a little over 3 hours, but the traffic isn't as bad. Try it sometime. Look at the map.

I 5 South to the 210 East.
57 South.
71 South.
91 East to Corona. You might hit some traffic here.
15 South to San Diego.
you can stay on the 15 or take the 163. It starts near Scripps and bisects between the 15 and 805, it's a bit shorter.
Then I 8 to the beach and off at Rosecrans.
We need Elon Musk to build a tube through LA...

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Brad, parking at the landing is wide open :D... problem was that fire. Thanks guys for all the driving routes...best one was probably go through LA/Orange at 4am., but I'll refer back here next time. AA is here, they are getting it ready now...wants to leave a 6:30 in the morning. I'll nap on the way Ensenada ;)

Reactions: Rodless_Jim

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Sorry guys, I know this is a real issue but I just have to laugh to myself as this all sounds like an SNL skit. Living in Alaska for 30 years in places with one road and few if any traffic signs let alone lights I just have to say you all have my sympathies dealing with such issues. But I did live in SoCal in the 80's before it got so bad. Always amazed that there was not more traffic in Long Beach at 1 am when I went to work.
Yah same here. I have lived a total of 14 years in Costa Rica over the last 20 years. LA and So Cal traffic just plain sucks. I'm from SD born and raised so I have sympathy for those that battle the traffic daily. My mom :D would tell me that there will be traffic and its not a surprise so prepare yourself for it (mentally). I live in a town with dirt roads with a inner city population of about 100 people. Half are children. The nearest stop light to me is a 45 minute drive and I think there are two stop lights. Maybe just one stop light as the other one is just a blinking yellow light and I'm still not even sure what that means LOL. We have one stop sign in our town that is completely covered with stickers and almost no one stops. The police roll right through it

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I live in Tucson.....and it is a 6 hour trip front door to landing...I enjoy the drive little over 400 miles....when I worked I used to fly but that was before charges for excess weight and multiple bags....now i drive out a couple days early book a room at the Vagabond and relax....Those people who drive all night or wake up at 4 AM are tempting fate.....a auto break down or a accident on the freeway and you just may miss the departure...too much stress IMO....

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I Leave my house in Roseville at 4am and get through LA as cleanly as possible usually with a little break to eat

terryc.

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
Don't fight it get Sat radio leave early make some stops on the way relax works for me and I am an LA contractor with jobs all over LA just glad to be working and going fishing Leaving on the Vagabond Mon. Nov 6th.

fujirose

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Traffic and unforeseen problems in transit are why I leave a full TWO days before our annual charter boards the boat. If I don't encounter any problems (this year was a 3 hr total shut down of I5 at the base of the grapevine for a crash and fire), it leaves me plenty of time to unwind, visit tackle shops, and prep tackle, and the pre-charter festivities.

walkerman

May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Are you saying that the Vagabond has no parking spaces for those renting a room?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Are you saying that the Vagabond has no parking spaces for those renting a room?

No.... if you rent a room you can park there for the nights you have a room....you cannot park there for the one or two weeks you are out fishing