Trip to San Diego

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, Oct 24, 2017.

1. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    Coalinga and the Harris Ranch still stink. Great tri-tip sandwich though. When a fire breaks out at the 210/15 area, and closes the road, all traffic gets sent down the 605. Took 3.5 hours to get to the 405...the Santa Ana Fwy had a sign saying don't even try. The Vagabond Motel is now a hotel...but it's still comfy. I liked Mitch's better when it was Hudson's. Food was good, but the crowd was almost all upscale...heels on the ladies, and dressed to kill. Used to be you'd see boat crews eating in there. Even with the 15 to 20 percent they get as tips today:-)D :D :D), I didn't see any. Sat next to 2 gals that were discussing low gear ratios on different reels, early '60's I'd guess. Said they have girls night every week at Mitch's, and always fish the New Lo Ann...since Dan Sansome owned it. All in all a good experience so far...nothing stays the same, and change is good. I gotta find a different spot for gas and lunch though...I can still smell Coalinga.

Rodless_Jim and ripped like this.
  2. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Sounds like a tough slog to SD but you made it. Kinda makes a coldie taste even better!

3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Craig, welcome back. Time to visit some shops? Squidco for sure, Charkbait and Angler’s Choice. Maybe you’ll run into Riddler, catch up?

4. Wendell Fox

Wendell Fox Member

Name:
    Wendell Fox
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 17
    I gave up driving to SD years ago. I just flew SW round trip from SFO to SD for my 8 day. $139 round trip. I can't drive that cheap. 6:00AM flight out of SFO morning of my trip. . I'm at the landing by 8:30am. Kinda a hassle to check in the rods but it works.

freegaff2 likes this.
  5. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Tight lines Craig! Tell us all about it when you get back...especially how the VISX reels worked out for you!

freegaff2 likes this.
  6. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    LA freeways is the problem, other than that nice roadie.

7. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I also live in the Bay Area...travel time is critical for maximizing trip enjoyment! On a normal trip I leave at 5am.....pass all the usual subjects along the way.....including bumper to bumper traffic solid into the Bay Area...opposite direction....A great reminder you are on vacation and heading out of the rat race! Speaking of which...Leaving early gives you uncluttered freeways from the Bay Area all the way to LA. LA you never know but 10am is a good time to be cruising through.....this puts you in SD around 2 or 3 depending on SCAL traffic....this allows you check into your place....relax....go shopping...check out the scene etc.....all ready for your next days trip!

This is the perfect plan for boats that you board based on your deposit.

If I’m going on an old school boat I leave at like 10 pm....drive all night...get in line when I get to SD. I’m anal on this part...my last RS trip I was like 6th and got there about 3am. Few years back I was third on the AA and got there at 1am.

Yellowtail Dan likes this.
  8. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Alternate route. I live in the Central Valley. I usually stop in Northridge at my brothers place before heading south. The Los Angeles, Orange County traffic is getting horrible. Unless you are traveling thru at light traffic times, which is probably 3 AM you'll find heavy traffic. I talked to someone who travels from San Diego to the Central Valley monthly and he said to go thru Corona. I have tried it several times. The route below adds about 20 miles from Northridge and takes a little over 3 hours, but the traffic isn't as bad. Try it sometime. Look at the map.

I 5 South to the 210 East.
    57 South.
    71 South.
    91 East to Corona. You might hit some traffic here.
    15 South to San Diego.
    you can stay on the 15 or take the 163. It starts near Scripps and bisects between the 15 and 805, it's a bit shorter.
    Then I 8 to the beach and off at Rosecrans.

Olddog8, freegaff2 and Pangamaster like this.
  9. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    heading south...58 over Tehachapis to 395 south at Kramer Junction to I-15...and then just keep heading south until getting on the 163. eliminates a lot of the traffic heading through cities.

Bill W, freegaff2 and RichG like this.
  10. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Sorry guys, I know this is a real issue but I just have to laugh to myself as this all sounds like an SNL skit. Living in Alaska for 30 years in places with one road and few if any traffic signs let alone lights I just have to say you all have my sympathies dealing with such issues. But I did live in SoCal in the 80's before it got so bad. Always amazed that there was not more traffic in Long Beach at 1 am when I went to work.

Olddog8 likes this.
  11. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I live in the west San Fernando Valley, only about 10 miles from the Ventura County border and therefore have to traverse just about all of LA County before I even get to Orange and then San Diego Counties. To deal with it, I learned to do three things:

1) I leave real early, like 4 am. Not really too hard to get up then because I'm usually too excited to sleep anyway.

2) I check sigalert.com before leaving to see if there are any bottlenecks. Once on the road, I listen to AM 1070, which has traffic reports every 10 minutes, even that early. If there is an accident or road closure, I can adjust my route.

3) LA deserves the reputation of having a lot of freeways which can be confusing, but it also means that there are a lot of options. For example, one can take any of the 405, the 101, the 5, the 710, the 605, etc. south. If one is choked up, drive to the next. It might require having a LA freeway map by your side to know where the chokepoints and alternate routes are, but it can be real helpful. Its tough once you get past the El Toro Y because there isn't much in the way of alternate routes if you aren't already on the inland route noted by Rich G above.

And of course, allow time for road mess "just in case"; if there's no problem on the roads, there might be one trying to find a parking space at the Big 3.

12. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    We need Elon Musk to build a tube through LA...

DMcD, RichG and freegaff2 like this.
  13. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    Brad, parking at the landing is wide open :D... problem was that fire. Thanks guys for all the driving routes...best one was probably go through LA/Orange at 4am., but I'll refer back here next time. AA is here, they are getting it ready now...wants to leave a 6:30 in the morning. I'll nap on the way Ensenada ;)

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  14. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Yah same here. I have lived a total of 14 years in Costa Rica over the last 20 years. LA and So Cal traffic just plain sucks. I'm from SD born and raised so I have sympathy for those that battle the traffic daily. My mom :D would tell me that there will be traffic and its not a surprise so prepare yourself for it (mentally). I live in a town with dirt roads with a inner city population of about 100 people. Half are children. The nearest stop light to me is a 45 minute drive and I think there are two stop lights. Maybe just one stop light as the other one is just a blinking yellow light and I'm still not even sure what that means LOL. We have one stop sign in our town that is completely covered with stickers and almost no one stops. The police roll right through it

15. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I live in Tucson.....and it is a 6 hour trip front door to landing...I enjoy the drive little over 400 miles....when I worked I used to fly but that was before charges for excess weight and multiple bags....now i drive out a couple days early book a room at the Vagabond and relax....Those people who drive all night or wake up at 4 AM are tempting fate.....a auto break down or a accident on the freeway and you just may miss the departure...too much stress IMO....

16. COSDoug

COSDoug Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Hobie Kayak
    David,
    Maybe a good idea to drive. I could just imagine TSA asking you..."what's in the bag fella ?'' ......"Nothing special, sir, just a whole bunch of these really cool bombs I've been waiting to try, they are killer ".:)

17. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    I Leave my house in Roseville at 4am and get through LA as cleanly as possible usually with a little break to eat

18. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    FishRock likes this.
  19. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Don't fight it get Sat radio leave early make some stops on the way relax works for me and I am an LA contractor with jobs all over LA just glad to be working and going fishing Leaving on the Vagabond Mon. Nov 6th.

20. fujirose

fujirose Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl
    Traffic and unforeseen problems in transit are why I leave a full TWO days before our annual charter boards the boat. If I don't encounter any problems (this year was a 3 hr total shut down of I5 at the base of the grapevine for a crash and fire), it leaves me plenty of time to unwind, visit tackle shops, and prep tackle, and the pre-charter festivities.

dh515, RichG, Fishybuzz and 1 other person like this.