Trip scheduled changed - what are my rights?

Mangisda

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat
Hobie Outfitter tandem kayak
My nephew and I booked a November 7-day Guadalupe trip and paid our deposits with credit cards. The trip date and destination was changed by the boat's office to an 8-day. We want to go to Lupe and the date change does not work for both of us. As it is I am already really bummed, because I have already booked my vacation at work as required by my employer in the beginning of the new year.

I called the office and requested a refund, but I was informed the refund will not include the 3.5% "convenience" fee. I feel this is WRONG. I am the one getting really inconvenienced here. And why mail a cheque instead of just crediting my CC?

Anyone have this experience?

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Roll over your deposits to another trip that work for both of you? Not saying I would do that but could be a better option. BS to have a boat change a trip length/destination after taking bookings unless weather or mechanical issues occur.

Reactions: RichG

bob1825

Apr 11, 2007
San Fernando Valley
Name
Jason
Boat
Anyone the fits my schedule
yeah that sucks. Typically the convenience fee is the percentage that the boat has to pay the credit card company to offer you the chance to pay by credit. That money is gone the second they run your credit card, payable to the cc company. Not saying it is right given your circumstances.

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I'd call again and try to talk to the Office manager or have one of the owners call you back. Explain that with there changing the date, you can't make the trip because your employer requires you to give them notice as you said.

Sometimes you talk to the hired help and they are just quoting the company policy.
Also the 3.5 % might be the CC fee that they charge and see if they will mail you a check. Or if you can transfer the deposit to another trip..

So sorry to hear this.

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
You have the right to remain silent, anything you say may used against you in a Court of law, you have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you.

You see it wasn’t a waste of time watching all those Dragnet episodes.

Your healthy, you have a good job, you have the money for a 8 day. Good problem to have.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hi Johann,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties. It does appear odd for the operation to not refund ALL of the money you paid them for a trip since they changed it. The operation should be able to issue a full refund back to the credit card. Start by calling the boat owner and trying to workout a solution. Their policy does not exclude your consumer protection rights.

If speaking to the operation does not solve the issue to your satisfaction, you may have other options. Unclear of consumer protection laws in Canada regarding credit card use, but in the USA you can call your credit card company and ask for a "chargeback" if goods and/or services are not as expected and/or agreed upon at the time of the transaction.

Hope you are able to find a substitute trip on another boat. Long Range fishing is a ton of fun.

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Pretty much its the credit card company that ate the fee of paying by credit card. In my business, I am having a similar problem with credit cards charging extra upon the customer. I (as I am sure the landing is) happy to refund money that was transacted, but the credit card company is a 3rd party (read: parasite) that took the convenience fee. The business has no control over that.
I do feel you pain about canc'd trips. I had to cancel my Guad trip TWICE. I finally got out there this year and the fish didn't bite well (made up for it though on epic big bluefin fishing).
Either way, try to get out there...

Reactions: skotz

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
A few years ago, I was on a Red Rooster trip that had a date change. I could not make it so Red Rooster refunded my money and gave me the $100 airline change fee. They also tossed in a jacket. I've ridden the Red Rooster about a dozen times since then.

Mangisda

Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat
Bummer....Just last week I had to cancel an 8 day on the Intrepid in June. Medical reasons. Steve was very polite and interested in my reasons. I asked for a check and got a FULL refund in my mailbox 4 days later. INtrepid is a class act.
It is customer service like this that creates loyal customers. Two thumbs up!

Reactions: Tackleho619

terryc.

Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
I got dinged on the 3% on a trip that didn't fill and was cancelled I let it go which is out of character for me.

Mangisda

Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat
You have the right to remain silent, anything you say may used against you in a Court of law, you have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you.

You see it wasn’t a waste of time watching all those Dragnet episodes.

Your healthy, you have a good job, you have the money for a 8 day. Good problem to have.
It is the principle that matters to me. I posted this to get some guidance from fellow anglers. I made no mention of the boat's name. Yes, I am grateful that I am healthy, employed, and my family loves me. Thanks for reminding me again.

Mangisda

Sep 18, 2006
Toronto, Ont. Canada
Name
Johann
Boat
Roll over your deposits to another trip that work for both of you? Not saying I would do that but could be a better option. BS to have a boat change a trip length/destination after taking bookings unless weather or mechanical issues occur.
My nephew and I did look at the other trips on the same boat, but couldn't make it work for both of us.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I would check the boat's website and see if this "you get screwed if we change your trip" policy is in writing. And please PM me with the name of the boat so I can add it to the list of operations I will never patronize.

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
I would try to speak with the owner of the boat... sometimes the office staff do things that don't make sense based on whatever their reason is (been there and done that!) and unfortunately in some cases the office staff seem to have the keys to the kingdom or worse yet... they think they do... the owners are MUCH more inclined to do what is right and they know it can take years to build customer loyalty and just a few minutes with a bad staff decision to ruin a relationship forever (and they truly don't want pissed off customers or any "bad press"). Call in and request to speak to the owner of the boat or request to have the owner call you back (can also request owner's email so you can document your conversation)... this also puts the staff on alert, and they start to understand better that this is a "business" transaction, and that you are serious about the issue at hand.

G

Reactions: RichG and dh515

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I agree, roll it over. On most of the big boats they have people on standby. Not sure what time of year you're trip was scheduled. If it was on a boat with Guadalupe permits, and that was the destination, it probably has many people happy to take you're spots. Being a regular on a boat, makes those situations like you're facing less likely.

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
I believe it is illegal for the 3.5% to be non-refundable (its part of the total sale) if it is an error or change in services provided by the service provider (not your fault... should not be your problem!). I also believe that the boat's office has to generate the credit unless they decide to refund via check and absorb the CC fee (they claim to have paid on the deposit transaction)... that 3.5% amount sounds high to me (could be some profit being made on that upcharge, JMO). One of my clients just bought a $35K car for his daughter and charged it on his CC and there was no upcharge... I've purchased goods and services in excess of $5K on my CC and there was no upcharge... so go figure! (most businesses/retailers/service providers do not charge you for paying via credit card... I think its a bit of an accounting scam... kind of like excessive fuel surcharges where you get notified of the actual amount the day of departure with the "house" cancelation policies that are heavily stacked in their favor still in full effect).

G

Last edited:

bob1825

Apr 11, 2007
San Fernando Valley
Name
Jason
Boat
Anyone the fits my schedule
some businesses chose to pass along the fee, others just eat the cost as part of their business. The company I work for is a non-profit and we give those who use a credit card the option of covering the fee when they make a donation. Some choose to pay the fee, others don't. If they don't we pay the convenience fee.

Reactions: kevina

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" SOLD / PlainJaneRods
He should speak with his credit card company , and let them deal with it, it's not his fault , the boat changed the destination and the length of the trip.. he should get a full refund..he even tired to book another trip but nothing works for him..

just my opinion....

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
I think if the boat changed the dates, all bets are off and you should get a FULL refund. If the 'cost of doing business' is for the boat to eat the 3.5%, so be it. The Intrepid does not charge credit card fees, so for me it's a non issue.
I can't help say, however, if I donate money using my credit card to whatever cause I choose and they ask for a credit card fee, well, umm, err, you now have permission to take a long walk on a short pier.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan