Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
A few days before departure Judy sent out an email tha we would leave between 9:30 and 10. Everyone was in line by 8, so we loaded about 9 after the red shirts assured Captain Matt that everyone’s cart was loaded. At 9:30 we were on our way to the bait receivers. After getting bait and clearing the point Captain Matt gave the safety seminar and outlined the plan for the next 7 days. It was either the ridge or the rocks, and the final decision was the rocks. Based on that, he gave a wahoo and bug yellowtail seminar. He advised us to get with a crew member if we needed help. It would be 100 lb test dropper loop fishing for yellowtail at Alijos bank and jig, bait or bomb fishing with 40-50 lb test for wahoo at the rocks.
This trip I brought my friend Chris who has autism along with me. I had him on troll team 1 and myself on troll team 2 knowing I would give him my turns at trolling, thus increasing his chances to get a wahoo. On his second turn at the troll he caught his first wahoo, about a 30 pounder. High 5s were everywhere. Eventually I started doing my own fishing. Got out my favorite bomb, the Captain Jimmy green and nailed some wahoo of my own. I then handed off 6 more to others that hadn’t caught one and amazingly all 6 were landed. Time for dinner and a move to the banks. Once the sun went down they announced that everyone should help make bait for the next day’s yellowtail finishing. After an hour they said no more as we only had 2 pieces of bait for all that effort. At 12:30 Chris wakes me telling me the bait is biting. While not thrilled to be awakened so early I went upstairs with him and we made bait. :). After a few hours we had 80 baits with only 3 of us making bait.
After a few hours sleep it was time to get up and fish for yellowtail. It was a full on bite with the fish going from 25 to 40 lbs. son it was time for breakfast fast, then a quick nap before wahoo fishing at the rocks. Started trolling around and it wasn’t long before someone was yelling “hook up”. I tossed in my Captain Jimmy bomb and immediately was hooked up. Guy behind me says damn Soda, you sure know how to wahoo fish. I asked if he had one yet and when he said no, I handed him my rod. He landed a 35 pounder. I love sharing the wealth.
This is pretty much how the trip went. Great fishing, great group of anglers, great crew and great boat. O I forgot one of the best parts of the trip. My guest Chris had a Avet reel a customer gave him. It was brand new never fished and the customer didn’t win the raffle. It was a reel him had and gifted it to Chris. I about fell off my seat during dinner. What an amazing guy he was. It’s funny how some of the best people you meet our on long range trips. I am going to get Chris a rod to match his new reel. O and he caught 3 yellowtail on his new reel up to 35 pounds.

40C7C9F3-0588-466D-B7C1-2DD6A88CA4D4.jpeg

D490005C-6D1C-4288-B4D4-E993F17D7AFF.jpeg

463BAC28-0F8C-4177-B3A2-850C4F55E5E8.jpeg

6CEC4C11-DB78-45A6-889D-02224AE3F0EA.jpeg

CFEE2857-6B1A-42DE-9C78-8848F09D0301.jpeg

D5FFFF06-EBF2-4DD9-9E4A-A730277C2224.jpeg

3C24D532-E6D7-49EF-B9EA-6C59C3FA203C.jpeg

E180F986-ECC7-4338-9430-5B97E62806B1.jpeg

C51AECE1-3668-4398-805C-BF40C06AF3B4.jpeg

B57B029F-AACB-4B46-B354-071A41EA61BF.jpeg

C92E38E7-2B46-4208-AE50-7719A3363329.jpeg

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Nice job getting your buddy his first hoo! And half the boat too! Good fish karma.

Cool move by that one guy to gift an Avet.

Reactions: Soda Pop

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    First SODA.... you always impress me. I don't know if its your style.... or your writing style describing your trips.... but its always upbeat... entertaining and has a point. Nice photos... great food.... and your friend..... just a touching story.

One last thing before I go..... your bait making comments....LMAO.... reminded me of God knows how many nights... the real DIEHARDS and I... were always there... even when others didn't get up. Don't necessarily like it... but if your always in the "give me a mack" line.... you better be out there with us for sure.

As a (gazillion time) charter master ... during the prep seminars on the way out.. we... (the passengers) would make a deal. Split teams.... 1/2 the passengers one night.... the other half of the guys the next night. PERIOD. I would wake them up MYSELF....lol. It also makes sense to keep "roommates" on the same bait team..... not waking just one up. EVERYONE would pitch in when we were out of macks...ie the beginning of the trip....or if we were really low on bait.

That said.... many guys would tell you... I would let them sleep if at all humanly possible. But making bait....with a few DIEHARDS can be faster... over the rail.... and at the tank "drop"... with a few guys that know what their doing. I try to make it fun. Would give away prizes each night we made bait....for those on deck.

You'd be surprised.... even the "laziest" .... "where the hell did he go" ... THAT GUY... starts getting up EVERY NIGHT ....when your giving a rod or reel or wahoo bombs away to ANY BAIT MAKERS on deck Right now. Charter Masters take note.... it works GREAT!! Thanks SODA. I appreciate you brother!!! I believe your friend does as well..... looking at all those smiles!! 👍Be safe out there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Those of you who have not witnessed Soda Pop catching Wahoo, you wouldn’t understand. He’s a machine. So great to you two out enjoying what you do.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I'm taking 20 of Capt' Jimmys bombs on a boat ride
    five star smoked Wahoo is jut wonderful, although it is a little hard to light.

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Soda is the most generous person I have ever fished with.

He is a blast to have on a trip and January is too far away.

Dave - your topshelf.

Fuck it.

Okay!

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    A few days before departure Judy sent out an email tha we would leave between 9:30 and 10. Everyone was in line by 8, so we loaded about 9 after the red shirts assured Captain Matt that everyone’s cart was loaded. At 9:30 we were on our way to the bait receivers. After getting bait and clearing the point Captain Matt gave the safety seminar and outlined the plan for the next 7 days. It was either the ridge or the rocks, and the final decision was the rocks. Based on that, he gave a wahoo and bug yellowtail seminar. He advised us to get with a crew member if we needed help. It would be 100 lb test dropper loop fishing for yellowtail at Alijos bank and jig, bait or bomb fishing with 40-50 lb test for wahoo at the rocks.
    This trip I brought my friend Chris who has autism along with me. I had him on troll team 1 and myself on troll team 2 knowing I would give him my turns at trolling, thus increasing his chances to get a wahoo. On his second turn at the troll he caught his first wahoo, about a 30 pounder. High 5s were everywhere. Eventually I started doing my own fishing. Got out my favorite bomb, the Captain Jimmy green and nailed some wahoo of my own. I then handed off 6 more to others that hadn’t caught one and amazingly all 6 were landed. Time for dinner and a move to the banks. Once the sun went down they announced that everyone should help make bait for the next day’s yellowtail finishing. After an hour they said no more as we only had 2 pieces of bait for all that effort. At 12:30 Chris wakes me telling me the bait is biting. While not thrilled to be awakened so early I went upstairs with him and we made bait. :). After a few hours we had 80 baits with only 3 of us making bait.
    After a few hours sleep it was time to get up and fish for yellowtail. It was a full on bite with the fish going from 25 to 40 lbs. son it was time for breakfast fast, then a quick nap before wahoo fishing at the rocks. Started trolling around and it wasn’t long before someone was yelling “hook up”. I tossed in my Captain Jimmy bomb and immediately was hooked up. Guy behind me says damn Soda, you sure know how to wahoo fish. I asked if he had one yet and when he said no, I handed him my rod. He landed a 35 pounder. I love sharing the wealth.
    This is pretty much how the trip went. Great fishing, great group of anglers, great crew and great boat. O I forgot one of the best parts of the trip. My guest Chris had a Avet reel a customer gave him. It was brand new never fished and the customer didn’t win the raffle. It was a reel him had and gifted it to Chris. I about fell off my seat during dinner. What an amazing guy he was. It’s funny how some of the best people you meet our on long range trips. I am going to get Chris a rod to match his new reel. O and he caught 3 yellowtail on his new reel up to 35 pounds.

View attachment 1302212

View attachment 1302213

View attachment 1302214

View attachment 1302215

View attachment 1302216

View attachment 1302217

View attachment 1302218

View attachment 1302219

View attachment 1302220

View attachment 1302221

View attachment 1302222
    I'm curious if Matt or anyone brought up going to Lupe. I'd be bummed if I didnt go there on a 7 day.

Reactions: Tim Turis
    Steve K
    Steve K
    Good question. As I understand it not all of the boats have permits.
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    I'm curious if Matt or anyone brought up going to Lupe. I'd be bummed if I didnt go there on a 7 day.
    Indy opted out of getting the permits this year to fish the lupe. I asked Matt. If you don't want to go because you won't fish the lupe send me a PM. I will buy your spot if I am not on a trip. Let me know.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0