Well-Known "Member"
Nov 13, 2017
San Clemente
Name
Dylan T
Boat
Pau Hana
Hi Gang,
The handle on my Trinidad 20a is gradually getting grindy and is now starting to stick and click. I also have a buddy who has a 14a with the same issue
I took it apart and it looks like the bearings aren’t in good shape. due to long turn times at Shimano, I want to work on it myself.
Should I simply replace the bearings? Should I buy all of the replacement parts? Any upgrades I should be aware of?

Just looking for some advice. I appreciate the support of our community here on BD. Happy 4th of July to you all!

Dylan T.

Rmpsocal

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 12, 2016
San Pedro
Name
Rich P.
Boat
None
Dylan, as T. Bui said, the stock Shimano handle is super easy to service. The best solution is to just replace the bearings. You can source them on eBay for less than a buck a piece.

You will need one of each of the following sizes:
*4x9x4 unflanged metal shielded
*5x9x3 unflanged metal shielded

Not a bearing I would upgrade to ceramic since it’s in a “high exposure” location. It would be great to have spares and just replace them as needed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dylan Tortarolo

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
...You will need one of each of the following sizes:
*4x9x4 unflanged metal shielded
*5x9x3 unflanged metal shielded...
If the shields can be popped off undamaged, do that, pack the bearings with blue marine grease, and put the shields back. Don't be too fastidious in wiping off the grease that oozes out when the shields go in; spread that well all over the bearings' exterior surfaces.

If the shields will come out damaged, then just take out one side, pack with grease, and install with the still shielded side facing "outward" from the handle interior.

Looking at the TN20A schematic, all interior handle part surfaces should also be blue marine greased when you reassemble.

This should hopefully significantly extend the time between bearing replacements...YMMV.

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
I just walked in to Shimano customer service in Irvine and they replaced the handle bearing no charge in about 5 minutes while I stood there....

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
Is there a different part number for the black knobs? Thanks.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
First thing I did to my tranx was get rid of that gay white knob .