IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a 2009 BW Montauk 19 foot with a 115 hp. I’ve been thinking about putting trim tabs on it to help in bumpy seas. Will tabs help or is it a waste? Thanks

Jimmy

Upvote 0

calicopro

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2003
La Mesa
Visit site
Name
Larry
Boat
17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
I just installed a set of Bennet self leveling trim tabs on my 17' Montauk. I have only trialed them in the bay so far, but when I have my family aboard with me, the tabs make a HUGE difference when attacking boat swell and wind chop. I love how the boat rides more bow down and really smooths out the ride. Another plus is that the boat planes at a lower speed than it did before 15-16mph vs. 19mph.
The one negative though is that when I'm by myself the ride is a lot more wonky I think the technical term is chine walking. So I wish I would have installed trim tabs that could be adjusted from the helm underway. The ones I have can be adjusted to fix the problems that I have when I'm alone, but the boat has to be on the trailer to do it.

So I would definitely recommend them, but since your boat is larger I would go with tabs that can be adjusted while underway.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I would start with a Doel fin and go from there.

Edit: Thought this was for a 15' Whaler..... now see it's a 19' Whaler Montauk. Tabs probably wouldn't be a bad idea, although I've yet to put them on my 19' Kencraft.

upload_2018-7-3_11-3-12.gif

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Although my boat isn't a whaler, it is an ass heavy 17' boat. Trim tabs made a world of difference to me. I went with Lenco's and the LED switch. Wasn't cheap, but worth every penny!

Reactions: catalin
Upvote 0