The American Tackle Company

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
I’m trying to decide on my wraps. I played around with a few things first. Think I’ve decided on simple as my skills with switching threads and mid bands are pretty limited. I’d rather keep simple and clean rather than try to get fancier. Fancier not executed well looks worse than simple.
Going to go with Silver underwrap blue over wrap, silver trim.
Should I just use the underwrap as the trim also (pic 1)? Or stop the underwrap before the end of the overwrap and do a dedicated trim band (pic 2)? I like the shinier/smoother appearance of the silver when wrapped under tension as compared to making trim bands “nail knot” style. When finished are the integrated trim bands going to look strange since the diameter of the overwrap is bigger? I have not done this way before.

Silver and blue are both A. I wrapped the over in opposite direction as someone suggested. Ignore the right side of first picture. I broke the silver when pulling tag end. Since this was a test I just salvaged it and moved on. When I wrap final, the blue past the feet and the width of silver are going to be shorter. Planning to wrap both no finish in between.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

20441138-D00B-4DC2-A40D-7C4404FC6C91.jpeg

9AC0FA49-A1C0-42AC-ACDF-B44076C40C37.jpeg

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
My $0.02 is if you are going to do an underwrap, the way you did it in the top photo will be quicker and probably cleaner if you want a simple solid band. If you want to build on the band with inlays etc then it depends. Also you can do a combo, close I inspection of the best wrappers here will show you they do it both ways in the same guide wrap many times, like one trim under, 2nd trim over, 3rd wrap contains the designs such as inlays or olive branching. Done right it can be really hard to tell after finish unless you look very closely at the dark side of the wrap.

Reactions: 1fish2fish
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
The easy way is just do your underwrap then when you do the overwrap just start it 1/16" or what ever you like from the end of the underwrap. Usually a thin band looks better but you can do whatever size you want. I always put a coat of epoxy on the underwrap before I do the overwrap. It just makes it a lot easier to do the overwrap and you can't mess up the underwrap. You can also do a 1 or 2 turn inlay in the middle of the wrap directly under the guide. They are very easy to do and look nice. Look at the wraps on a Calstar westcoast series rod. It is a very easy wrap but it looks pretty nice.

Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Thanks to both for the comments. Question on aesthetics. My running guides and transition Guides for acid wrap are all 10 mm rings. I figured I would just make all the guide wraps the same length. Or should I make them incrementally longer from the tip down.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
I probably should do a light epoxy on the underwrap because I’m bound to screw it up if I don’t at some point. Might save time in the long run

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Thanks to both for the comments. Question on aesthetics. My running guides and transition Guides for acid wrap are all 10 mm rings. I figured I would just make all the guide wraps the same length. Or should I make them incrementally longer from the tip down.
All the thread and finish do is hold the guide on, anything besides that job is superficial and part of custom building is that means it’s up to you!

I scale them down proportionally from the largest guide to the first smallest guide and then keep it consistent from there most of the time. That’s my personal way of doing most heavy rods, but it’s completely personal.

Reactions: 1fish2fish
Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
I like to do the underwraps will the trim rings, then glue, just enough so the threads are fully covered. (2 coats on this one) Then wrap the guide on and glue everything.

IMG_20210501_215543244.jpg

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    :ele: