dave weiser

KRAZY KIRRA
Aug 23, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave
Boat
GRADY WHITE MARLIN 30
Finally something to write about so bare with me..
We put the Grady in the water at 8am in HB Sunday in hopes of finding them very local bluefin off Huntington as reported Saturday. Hard to believe I know!! After loading up on deans and making about a dozen mackerel at Nachos we were off. Spent an hour local for no signs of them. Heard some Marlin guys on the Avalon Bank seeing many schools of tuna so we ran out there and spent the next few hours chasing schools located with the gyros. Frustrating as usual fishing many schools but just not able to get any takers. So we made the move down to the 14 around 3 and more of the same till we changed out presentation to these most finicky bluefin. We pulled out the big gun and pinned a mackerel then slid it way back (maybe 50 yards?) behind the boat and tried to come around these foamer schools slow an wide not to spook and push them down. We see the smaller grade bluefin on the surface going off!!! This is a big school, I drive the boat going 3kts around the right side and now I think our bait now is getting close to being under them and Bamm out bait gets inhaled on the right gear by the sound of my drag screaming out on the 30 wide 2 speed gold this isn't what we can see on the surface. Fought the fish for 20 minutes or so and got 2 gaffs in him and in the boat he comes!! High fives!! 52 long 34 girth, not sure on the weight mabe 85 lbs??
20210725_191615.jpg
It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. It was 530/545 Sunday avo and the sea came alive with 6 or 7 large schools all coming up to feed at same exact time in every direction!! What a site and better yet we got one!! Finally... Can't wait to try this next time we find the fish. Hope this helps
20210725_183705.jpg
20210725_183401.jpg

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother...with so many posts here very recently stating ...seen them many times but "no go"...Yours was the right one for today!!

Yours is not the first post in the last 2 weeks where an adventurous angler pulled one more "rabbit" out of their hats to get a BFT.

LONG TROLLING A MACK... slowly. Basic Angling 101. BD Brothers take note. Congrats on your fish! Congrats Your call! You earned it. Great post.... great picts brother. Good job on the fish! Thanks for the reminder..... simplicity is still an effective approach.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    That old school and that works way butter then the run and gun crap I been saying old school we trolled for the fish it way more productive to have 2 macks way back 50 yards and maybe a good jig like even heavy feather or blue Xrap 40! Watch next time you will get bit again if you run the same set up !

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Sometimes you got to ditch the script and think outside of the box. Looks like it paid off for you. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Good job on the fish. Think outside of the box.

I run the trollers. Outriggers, flat lines and sometimes the downrigger. I was starting to think it was a lost art round here.

Sometimes spreaders, cedar daisy chains and definitely teasers. Like to run waaay back, but the yayhoos who bought boats recently don't understand that those flag poles on either side of my console and duals in the back corners are actually dragging a spread. To them a spread is something they put on a sammich.

Upvote 0

MegaByte26

Jan 19, 2021
    Fontana
    Name
    Jorge
    Boat
    MegaByte
    Finally something to write about so bare with me..
    We put the Grady in the water at 8am in HB Sunday in hopes of finding them very local bluefin off Huntington as reported Saturday. Hard to believe I know!! After loading up on deans and making about a dozen mackerel at Nachos we were off. Spent an hour local for no signs of them. Heard some Marlin guys on the Avalon Bank seeing many schools of tuna so we ran out there and spent the next few hours chasing schools located with the gyros. Frustrating as usual fishing many schools but just not able to get any takers. So we made the move down to the 14 around 3 and more of the same till we changed out presentation to these most finicky bluefin. We pulled out the big gun and pinned a mackerel then slid it way back (maybe 50 yards?) behind the boat and tried to come around these foamer schools slow an wide not to spook and push them down. We see the smaller grade bluefin on the surface going off!!! This is a big school, I drive the boat going 3kts around the right side and now I think our bait now is getting close to being under them and Bamm out bait gets inhaled on the right gear by the sound of my drag screaming out on the 30 wide 2 speed gold this isn't what we can see on the surface. Fought the fish for 20 minutes or so and got 2 gaffs in him and in the boat he comes!! High fives!! 52 long 34 girth, not sure on the weight mabe 85 lbs??View attachment 1303225 It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. It was 530/545 Sunday avo and the sea came alive with 6 or 7 large schools all coming up to feed at same exact time in every direction!! What a site and better yet we got one!! Finally... Can't wait to try this next time we find the fish. Hope this helps View attachment 1303226View attachment 1303227

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Good job on the fish. Think outside of the box.

I run the trollers. Outriggers, flat lines and sometimes the downrigger. I was starting to think it was a lost art round here.

Sometimes spreaders, cedar daisy chains and definitely teasers. Like to run waaay back, but the yayhoos who bought boats recently don't understand that those flag poles on either side of my console and duals in the back corners are actually dragging a spread. To them a spread is something they put on a sammich.
    FLYTIE.... brother if your doing the "extra credit" work... like your post says.... I would be hoping to see more success stories from you and your adventures with the "toys". You know us here on BD.... inquiring minds want to know..right.

For the last 2 or 3 months.... been putting a bug into people's ears about trying the many different approaches to BFT fishing. Not just the ....sometimes effective..... Run and Gun style.

BFT can be effectively taken many ways, if you know what signs to look for. I'm with you.... I bring the kitchen sink.... and respond "on the fly". Anyways.... I'm thankful for your patience and ask that you share a little next time you have success with those S. CAL. Non Traditional Take methods......lol. THANKS FOR sharing....and the encouragement brother. Good luck and be safe.

Upvote 0

baitedgyro

Almost A Member
    Dec 1, 2009
    SANTA CLARITA
    Name
    David
    Boat
    25' Boston Whaler 1983
    slow trolled macks work...hooked 4 BFT last year at SCI with all 4 landed... 65 to75 lbs.. also, a center trolled blue plastic dropped way, way back can work when things are tough..
    LBB or anyone else, how are you guys slow trolling macks?

Nose hooked? Knot speed? String size? Length of leader if you're using a leader?

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Great job and post! Now the secret is out lol. Honestly I've yet to even find a boiler but always wondered why all these frustrated anglers are running and gunning for nada. How many posts here for people going mad chasing and throwing everything at them. I've always thought to myself if none of that is working why not troll? Just my thoughts I dont know jack and learning from this forum.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0