BangHUss

Barefoot Water Skier
Mar 10, 2005
Mission Viejo, O.C. California
Name
Lupe
Boat
Boat HO
I got a buddy who's going out on the Tribute and has never fished that boat and neither have I. I know people get all sensitive about "bad mouthing" someone's operation, but I want to make an educated decision on wether to go. The good, BAD and UGLY??? Lay it on me

Many Thank you's BD'ers :beerbang:

Upvote 0

rodblder

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
I got a buddy who's going out on the Tribute and has never fished that boat and neither have I. I know people get all sensitive about "bad mouthing" someone's operation, but I want to make an educated decision on wether to go. The good, BAD and UGLY??? Lay it on me

Many Thank you's BD'ers :beerbang:
Capt Mike P is an experienced long range skipper who I've fished with MANY times. He's been having great fish counts including bft lately and runs a nice operation. You won't be disappointed................

Upvote 0

Auggie

Mar 17, 2007
H.B.
Name
Gary
Boat
None
Capt Mike P is an experienced long range skipper who I've fished with MANY times. He's been having great fish counts including bft lately and runs a nice operation. You won't be disappointed................

Fished it 3 times last year twice this year one trip we chartered for a company trip and probably going again this week. Solid operation.

Upvote 0

SSUfish

Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
I've ridden the Tribute one time on a 2.5 day last year. Trip report is here: http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/tribute-2-5-labor-day-pelagic-sponsored-trip.512680/

Great skipper who, in my opinion, is very fishy and is willing to burn the fuel and go the distance if necessary. A very good crew who are service oriented and very courteous and helpful, above average food for a normal 1-1.5 day trip. Not many trips within the 1.5day range will fish the kite and try to get a rotation going for everyone. My only dislike was the size of the bunks, they're on the smaller side so...i'm 5'11'' 170lbs and it felt a bit tight compared to other platforms...however...if I were 6'2 and 250lbs, i'd stuff myself in there to fish her...you won't be disapointed.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The real danger is in discovering how much simpler the parking is at Seaforth. You'll pull in, quickly find a FREE spot within fifty steps of the landing office, deal with some nice people, and have a great trip. I ride the Point Loma and H&M boats usually, but whenever a buddy puts a trip together on the Excel I am glad to join in.

Upvote 0

ltzgolf

Mar 27, 2013
    Anaheim
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    dingy
    All i can say is GO Mike is a great skipper and the crew is great, I will most likely be on the trip leaving Tuesday night.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I just got back from fishing on the Tribute. Boat is roomy. Service great. Food great. Fishing wise it left ALOT to be desired. I'm ok with skunk trips that's just fishing. But when you're in the same area as everyone else and get outfished by every boat at your landing including 3/4 day boats something is off. We couldn't get a school to come to up if our lives depended on it. We were over some massive sonar marks according to skipper but couldn't get them up. 2 yft on blind jigstrikes and 5 baby yellows off 1 paddy was all we had for 36 guys. Skipper said the fish must be skittish with all the boats in the area. That the fleet had an off day that we were lucky to even get any fish at all.

We were all cool with that explanation until we were within cell range and checked the counts:

3/4 San Diego 83 yft
    Aztec 106 yft
    Endeavor 35yft 63 yt
    Voyager 21yft 43yt

These were some of the counts from the same landing and fishing the same area.

Then everyone just got upset. And small things like we could have fished another hour to salvage the trip started to be annoying. We probably 15miles from the landing and skipper called it quits with almost 3 hours. He said they have a turnaround trip that they needed to prepared. The proceeded to cruise towards home at 4-6knots so it's timed just right for 8pm arrival. Speaking of that turnaround trip, skipper wanted to save bait for them so we were short on bait towards the end without catching anything. Just before we docked captain got on the mike and reiterated that it was a tough day and most Seaforth boats didn't do well. A lot of people boo'ed that statement. Guys were yelling we can check the count captain. So those things became very annoying.

Not bashing the operation at all, but if I have limited opportunities to fish I'd like to be on a boat that will put me on fish. That job lies squarely on the captain's feet. Most of us on the boat (including myself) had never fished on the Tribute. After this experience we won't be again.

It's just from 1 experience so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps anyone when deciding a boat.

Upvote 0

alexsb812

Sep 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Name
    Alex Steiner
    Boat
    The one I dream about buying every day...
    Captain Mike is an excellent skipper and runs a great operation. He will put you on the fish and sometimes gets the kites going while the bite is hot (guaranteed fish). Always recommend going on the Tribute! Great crew too.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I just got back from fishing on the Tribute. Boat is roomy. Service great. Food great. Fishing wise it left ALOT to be desired. I'm ok with skunk trips that's just fishing. But when you're in the same area as everyone else and get outfished by every boat at your landing including 3/4 day boats something is off. We couldn't get a school to come to up if our lives depended on it. We were over some massive sonar marks according to skipper but couldn't get them up. 2 yft on blind jigstrikes and 5 baby yellows off 1 paddy was all we had for 36 guys. Skipper said the fish must be skittish with all the boats in the area. That the fleet had an off day that we were lucky to even get any fish at all.

We were all cool with that explanation until we were within cell range and checked the counts:

3/4 San Diego 83 yft
    Aztec 106 yft
    Endeavor 35yft 63 yt
    Voyager 21yft 43yt

Then everyone just got upset. And small things like we could have fished another hour to salvage the trip started to be annoying. We probably 15miles from the landing and skipper called it quits with almost 3 hours. He said they have a turnaround trip that they needed to prepared. The proceeded to cruise towards home at 4-6knots so it's timed just right for 8pm arrival. Speaking of that turnaround trip, skipper wanted to save bait for them so we were short on bait towards the end without catching anything. Just before we docked captain got on the mike and reiterated that it was a tough day and most Seaforth boats didn't do well. A lot of people boo'ed that statement. Guys were yelling we can check the count captain. So those things became very annoying.

Not bashing the operation at all, but if I have limited opportunities to fish I'd like to be on a boat that will put me on fish. That job lies squarely on the captain's feet. Most of us on the boat (including myself) had never fished on the Tribute. After this experience we won't be again.

It's just from 1 experience so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps anyone when deciding a boat.
    In your last paragraph you bash the boat because you "like to be on a boat that will put me on fish." In your first paragraph you say you were "in the same area as everyone else" and later "fishing the same area"who you went on to explain caught fish......
    Enough said.

I've never ridden with the current crew but I like how that boat sits low to the water.
    The post I quoted is the only 'negative' things I've heard about the Tribute operation. His own 'negative' report multiple times mentions that the boat was on the fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    It's not bashing if I'm saying I won't ride it again. That's just my opinion. You could go on it and decide for yourself. I, for one, would have appreciated feedback like this when choosing to fish a boat for the first time.

As for the boat being in the same area but not capitalizing...it speaks volume. It's like if you and I are on the same boat fishing next to each other and you're getting bit 10 times more than me. It's not luck. Obviously you're doing something different (better) than I am. So if a third party were to wager on who outfish whom they would pick you. Same scenario here.

I can deal with a slow fishing day because the fish just wouldn't cooperate and the fleet struggle. I can even deal with a captain gambling on finding new fish in a new area and struck out while the fleet is somewhere else killing it. I cannot deal with a boat fishing in the same area as the whole fleet and striking out when the rest of the fleet killed it. To me...that is indicative of skillset. Maybe he just had an off day. Who knows. But my fishing opportunities are limited and I won't ride a boat that strikes out that drastically when all indicators point to at least a decent day.

BTW...there were alot of private boaters following sporties and our boat had 2 boats following us early then no one else. Maybe they knew what was up. Haha

Reactions: BangHUss
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    It's not bashing if I'm saying I won't ride it again. That's just my opinion. You could go on it and decide for yourself. I, for one, would have appreciated feedback like this when choosing to fish a boat for the first time.

As for the boat being in the same area but not capitalizing...it speaks volume. It's like if you and I are on the same boat fishing next to each other and you're getting bit 10 times more than me. It's not luck. Obviously you're doing something different (better) than I am. So if a third party were to wager on who outfish whom they would pick you. Same scenario here.

I can deal with a slow fishing day because the fish just wouldn't cooperate and the fleet struggle. I can even deal with a captain gambling on finding new fish in a new area and struck out while the fleet is somewhere else killing it. I cannot deal with a boat fishing in the same area as the whole fleet and striking out when the rest of the fleet killed it. To me...that is indicative of skillset. Maybe he just had an off day. Who knows. But my fishing opportunities are limited and I won't ride a boat that strikes out that drastically when all indicators point to at least a decent day.

BTW...there were alot of private boaters following sporties and our boat had 2 boats following us early then no one else. Maybe they knew what was up. Haha
    only sure thing is Costco. good luck next time'

Upvote 0

capnfshtrp

O'LE SALTLESS
    Oct 21, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    ITFLOATS
    I also was on this trip, and my opinion is,I have fished these kind of trips for over 20 years, and what I saw was
    the guy on the bait tank not chumming into the sonar mark circle but off to the side of the port side rail and not a lot either and also was not looking for boils as the captain instructed ,instead was looking around his feet on the bait tank, after the skipper shut off the chum and also there was not even one brail, normaly when the chips are down(skunked) you would brail towards the end of a trip, that is if you are carrying enough bait, it looked like we were just following everyone elses catch trail, and had no real spots of our own to go too! That being said, A new skipper of long range experience will struggle to find his own niche in a short range market .ie) squatters rights.Last one in the pool, last one to get to the honey spot.
    And the AZTEC did come up from behind us and stopped on the mark and slayed them, what were we? Chopped liver?

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Had my best bluefin day ever on her last year. We put 104 fish on 1.5 day trip all between 30-50#'s and NOT fishing the pens. Mike knows his stuff. I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day!

Reactions: BangHUss
    Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    we got in early Sunday morning with limits of tuna. :D Nice size ones, at that. :D

SLOW fishing most of the morning.....but found the right school in the afternoon. I was a bit bummed when I woke up and found myself sitting on the 9 mile bank on a 1.5 day trip....but, skipper said that was where the fish were the day before. When all we found were baby YT, we high tailed it outta there and out into more productive water.

This boat used to be the Holiday. VERY roomy (except for the bunks, but how much time do you spend there?) Solid galley with Tommy (from the PacStar), deck crew was on it, Captain Mike worked hard to find us our bounty.

I'd fish it again, no bout a doubt it.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Love the boat and crew! I also fish my own boat more! For me it is a luxury to not have to stay up all night then work the next day looking and trying to locate fish. Great operation good food great beer and fish to boot what's the issue? Go for it!

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    if your new to this those days will be there with a boat ride one bad trip and your bashing that's just lame buy your own boat and when you don't catch any fish you can blame your pals that went with you as for the guy going fishing just go it doesn't get much better

Upvote 0

Goodwin22

Jan 3, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Scout
    I just fished the Tribute last week. I have fished most of the boats in the fleet and this was my fist trip on the Tribute. The crew could not have been more helpful. It was really cool of them to help the few kids on the boat as well as the one female. We were crushing 40# BFT all day.. Close to limits.. It was the day before Mexico shut down the BFT fishery...I highly recommend this boat. Especially if you're bringing a youngster... Good Luck and tight lines...

Upvote 0

BangHUss

Barefoot Water Skier
    Mar 10, 2005
    Mission Viejo, O.C. California
    Name
    Lupe
    Boat
    Boat HO

3/4 San Diego 83 yft
    Aztec 106 yft
    Endeavor 35yft 63 yt
    Voyager 21yft 43yt

Appreciate you sharing your experience Greg. I've had similar experiences on other boats that I won't name...

Upvote 0