PENN

MD2B

Sep 6, 2017
City of Angels
Name
schoolie
Boat
Does my bathtub count?
Captain Mike Pritchard called in to 976 the day before to let everyone know to bring the big guns as we were looking for the big boys. Left Seaforth with nice 5-8" dines pre-loaded and made a bee-line for Cortes Bank.

5:45 AM: Arrived at Cortes, where we were greeted by much of LR fleet, as well as the NLA and PQ so I knew we were in good company. Dropped flat falls for a few minutes for nada. At grey light, Capt. Mike decides to anchor up near the high spot.

6:30 AM: We start picking away at the 20-30lb BFT and 15-25lb YT with a steady bite that lasts until early afternoon. All fish were caught on fly-lined dines on 20-40lb test. I landed 2 BFT and 3 YT, as well as my PB whitefish (6lb) which ate a fly-lined dine 😂 Note: there is A LOT of sharp structure at Cortes for the YT to cut you off on. Either fish heavy line, heavy drag, or both - or be prepared to lose fish. Capt. Mike made the right call in sticking at the high spot longer than most - we managed to put 38 BFT and and 47 YT on deck by 2PM and were all smiles when we finally pulled anchor and went looking for bigger models. Several other boats had left earlier without success and ended up returning to the bank in the afternoon.

3-5PM: Stopped on several schools which didn't want to play. Tried sinker rigs, flat falls, and fly-line for nada. The crew deploy the boat's kite rig. 2 missed blow-ups until the 3rd finally sticks. It's a 1.5 hr battle before the #270 BFT hits the deck. One of the down-sides of kite fishing from a party boat is that it can be difficult for other anglers to fish once someone is hooked up. I've read reports of up to 5 kite fish being hooked up simultaneously and can only imagine the coordination and skill it must have taken to land those fish. Luckily, our sacks were full so most were content to sit and watch the battle unfold.

7PM: The sun finally sets as the weather picks up. 16+ knot winds made for plenty of chop but that didn't keep us from dropping our flat-falls on the schools Capt. Mike metered. I switch from a 300g to a 400g knife jig because I notice the wind and current blowing the lighter jigs way off our meter marks. I drop down to 300ft where the Capt had been marking fish, go full-send on the retrieve and find myself connected to a brute half way up. The fish decides that it is actually a dolphin and comes to the surface, jumping 3ft into the air. 30 mins and 4 gaffs later, my new PB BFT #152 (taped) hits the deck.

Only one other angler had managed to hook up on a 250g flat fall but got sawed-off (200lb leader). We meter a few more schools for nada and call it a day.

I was incredibly fortunate to land 2 PBs and meet great people on this trip. Hats off to the Capt and crew (Cody, Justin, & baby shark) who were respectful, courteous, and helpful to all on board. This was my second time fishing the Tribute - the first time led to my previous PB BFT so I guess I'll have to fish it again for a cow.

Gear Used:
Bait stick: Daiwa Proteus 8' H, Penn Fathom 25N, 65lb braid, 30lb top shot
Big stick: Okuma PCH Custom 7'6 XH, Penn Fathom 60, 100lb braid, 200lb mono leader

Tight lines and stay safe, everyone!

8517D738-FDCD-4567-A23E-D780103BD666.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

IMG_8870.jpg
62585659378__F3BA59DE-9205-429C-9FC8-5657DE02377E.JPG
IMG_8846.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Look at the quality on that tuna! My god my mouth is watering.

Reactions: MD2B
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Way to slay. Mike and crew!!!!
Oh... And you to schoolie! Great write up.
Toad white fish I guess they eat things other than squid. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Captain Mike Pritchard called in to 976 the day before to let everyone know to bring the big guns as we were looking for the big boys. Left Seaforth with nice 5-8" dines pre-loaded and made a bee-line for Cortes Bank.

5:45 AM: Arrived at Cortes, where we were greeted by much of LR fleet, as well as the NLA and PQ so I knew we were in good company. Dropped flat falls for a few minutes for nada. At grey light, Capt. Mike decides to anchor up near the high spot.

6:30 AM: We start picking away at the 20-30lb BFT and 15-25lb YT with a steady bite that lasts until early afternoon. All fish were caught on fly-lined dines on 20-40lb test. I landed 2 BFT and 3 YT, as well as my PB whitefish (6lb) which ate a fly-lined dine 😂 Note: there is A LOT of sharp structure at Cortes for the YT to cut you off on. Either fish heavy line, heavy drag, or both - or be prepared to lose fish. Capt. Mike made the right call in sticking at the high spot longer than most - we managed to put 38 BFT and and 47 YT on deck by 2PM and were all smiles when we finally pulled anchor and went looking for bigger models. Several other boats had left earlier without success and ended up returning to the bank in the afternoon.

3-5PM: Stopped on several schools which didn't want to play. Tried sinker rigs, flat falls, and fly-line for nada. The crew deploy the boat's kite rig. 2 missed blow-ups until the 3rd finally sticks. It's a 1.5 hr battle before the #270 BFT hits the deck. One of the down-sides of kite fishing from a party boat is that it can be difficult for other anglers to fish once someone is hooked up. I've read reports of up to 5 kite fish being hooked up simultaneously and can only imagine the coordination and skill it must have taken to land those fish. Luckily, our sacks were full so most were content to sit and watch the battle unfold.

7PM: The sun finally sets as the weather picks up. 16+ knot winds made for plenty of chop but that didn't keep us from dropping our flat-falls on the schools Capt. Mike metered. I switch from a 300g to a 400g knife jig because I notice the wind and current blowing the lighter jigs way off our meter marks. I drop down to 300ft where the Capt had been marking fish, go full-send on the retrieve and find myself connected to a brute half way up. The fish decides that it is actually a dolphin and comes to the surface, jumping 3ft into the air. 30 mins and 4 gaffs later, my new PB BFT #152 (taped) hits the deck.

Only one other angler had managed to hook up on a 250g flat fall but got sawed-off (200lb leader). We meter a few more schools for nada and call it a day.

I was incredibly fortunate to land 2 PBs and meet great people. Hats off to the Capt and crew (Cody, Justin, & baby shark) who were respectful, courteous, and helpful to all on board. This was my second time fishing the Tribute - the first time led to my previous PB BFT so I guess I'll have to fish it again for a cow.

Gear Used:
    Big stick: Okuma PCH Custom 7'6 XH, Penn Fathom 60, 100lb braid, 200lb mono leader

View attachment 1219653

View attachment 1219654
    View attachment 1219655View attachment 1219656View attachment 1219658
    How did your Penn Fanthom 60 handle that fish? Thinking of getting one?

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Do you have a picture of the knife jig?
    Which manufacture?

Upvote 0

MD2B

Sep 6, 2017
    City of Angels
    Name
    schoolie
    Boat
    Does my bathtub count?
    How did your Penn Fanthom 60 handle that fish? Thinking of getting one?

Handled it better than I thought it would. I set strike at about 20lbs and didn’t push it to full until the fish was doing circles at the boat. Drag engagement is super smooth, just like the other fathom 2 speeds. At the very end, I had to thumb the spool to keep the drag from slipping with the rise and fall of the boat. There’s actually a “sunset” mode on the reel which lets you push the drag even higher for these situations. The reel is relatively compact and fits 500+ yards of 100lb braid which is important because these fish are often found at 300-400ft or deeper. It’s definitely not the prettiest but it gets the job done at an affordable price point. I feel like it could have handled anything up to ~200lbs easily but for the >200lb range might want something beefier like a makaira. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Handled it better than I thought it would. I set strike at about 20lbs and didn’t push it to full until the fish was doing circles at the boat. Drag engagement is super smooth, just like the other fathom 2 speeds. At the very end, I had to thumb the spool to keep the drag from slipping with the rise and fall of the boat. There’s actually a “sunset” mode on the reel which let’s you push the drag even higher for these types of situations. The reel is relatively compact and fits 500+ yards of 100lb braid which is important because these fish can sometimes be deeper than 300-400 ft. It’s definitely not the prettiest reel but it gets the job done at an affordable price point. I feel like it could have handled anything up to ~200lbs readily but for the >200lb range might need something beefier like a makaira. Hope this helps!
    Yes sir thank you!

Upvote 0

Rob Tressler

Mar 26, 2015
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Allison XB2002

I was incredibly fortunate to land 2 PBs and meet great people. Hats off to the Capt and crew (Cody, Justin, & baby shark) who were respectful, courteous, and helpful to all on board. This was my second time fishing the Tribute - the first time led to my previous PB BFT so I guess I'll have to fish it again for a cow.

Gear Used:

View attachment 1219653

View attachment 1219654
    View attachment 1219655View attachment 1219656View attachment 1219658
    Well done!

Upvote 0