Tribute 1.5 Day - May 22 - Report

Sep 29, 2010
Santa Clarita
Name
Dwight
Boat Name
Taiyaki
My first tuna trip this season. I had originally booked for the 18th but we all know how bad the wind has been so I postponed to the 22nd. The big question was...are things coming back after the wind? I'm happy to say this was a great turn-around trip as the previous counts were pretty bad. First time on the Tribute, it's a good boat for a 1.5. Galley area is run by Nick and he keeps the space really clean. Since I'm talking about Nick, first off, super great guy. Good fisherman as well as he handed off a tuna to a customer later in the trip. Tribute offers a meal package that is $60. After you push off from the dock you can decide if you want it or not. There was also a $15 fuel surcharge to $75 bucks for both. Meal package was a fantastic bacon and sausage breakfast burrito. Next was the mid-morning snack which consisted of croissants stuffed with cheese and ham. Lunch time rolled around and there were some nice burgers or hot link sausages served hotdog style with optional sauerkraut, mustard, etc. Between lunch and dinner, Nick served up some hot taquitos with a nice sauce. Dinner finished up with pork tenderloin, nice green beans, and rice with gravy. You can't leave the boat hungry. Carrot cake for dessert.

With that out of the way, let's talk about the real reason we're there. We left the dock at 7p. It was pretty rough going out and I saw a half dozen customers making a donation to the ocean. Bait had already been secured so that was nice and we could just steam out. Bait were really healthy sardines. Pretty big ones and I didn't see too many banged up red ones. Remember, Tuna are picky so grab a good one. We arrived at the first stop just before 1a and somewhere lie 55-60 miles from Seaforth. From there until a little after 7a I think only one tuna came aboard. That's a pretty long stint and the boat customers were a little down. The night bite is where most of us anticipate our most success. Captain Tyler showed some awesome determination and we changed the game plan to do a tour of the kelp paddies. This was a great call and by the end of the day, the boat ended up with 100 yellow tails. For a guess, I'm going to guess they ranged from 5 to 15 pounds. Note that this is a really good eating size. The only other YT I prefer between my chopsticks are the 35 lb + ones you can get in the fall in the Channel Islands. By then, the YT have packed on some nice fat in that cooler water and I actually have days when I prefer them over tuna sashimi. Oh well, back to it. IMO it looked like most of the YT came in on fly lining the sardines. I only had a couple baits that kept swimming back to the boat. Remember, cut your losses early with your bait, you won't run out. I interacted with a couple guys that caught them on a sinker rig.

Once the darkness came in, we switched back to tuna mode. Captain Tyler found us some schools that wanted to play a little and before long, the boat count for BFT was up to 8 or so. People started getting tired but there were about 10 of us that stayed on deck to catch some BFT. Around 11p we found a school that was ready to dine on our buffet. I think most peeps were dropping iron. Crew recommended something in the 200-250g range but since I had my Nomad 420g ready, I stuck with that. My buddy and I went home with limits. Most of the time, we stayed around 150' to 300' down. Working that water column was pretty effective. After a few of us got hooked up, the deckhands started yelling for people to get out of their bunks and fish. The bite was on fire for the next 20-30 minutes and we achieved the boat BFT count of 28 BFT. There was one 85lb fish but for the most part were getting stuff 50 lbs and below. After breaking down our tuna yesterday, we had some really nice Otoro in our tuna. It was now around 1145p or so and considering the time we needed to get home and the load of fish the deckhands needed to cut, this voyage was over.

The Crew. Great bunch of guys. Colin, Frank, Ulysses, Chef Nick, Night Captain Dan, and Captain Tyler were all fantastic and as good as any crew I've fished with. Tunas were spiked pretty quickly and the few tangles through the trip were taken care of without losing fish. Instructions were given for the tuna shuffle and after a while, people got the hang of it. The only thing that would have helped was the crew to shout out the starting points of each stop as some people were asking, "Where should I start my drop?"

Some thoughts to make your trip as good as possible...There were some frenzied YT moments and with the size of the YT, I would just bounce your fish and keep some gaff hooks out of your meat. If you're prone to seasickness, start medicating before you get on the boat, as I think this really important to be effective. I always use a doctor prescribed Scopolamine patch behind the ear and apply it about 6 hours before my trip leaves. Something I learned to do on private boat trips was to use a space bag for your pillow and sleeping bag and other soft gear. It's so much easier to carry that big light stuff when it's all compressed into one bag. Get to Seaforth early, check in, grab a trolley with your gear and line up. With your gear parked, sit on the patio of the Red Rooster, grab some dinner and drinks and watch your gear from a comfortable position. Newest deckhand is Ulysses. Great dude, great attitude, make sure you spend some time and get to know him.

Current limit for this boat is 32 but we didn't fill the boat and ended up with 26 anglers. Please tip the crew well, they work very hard and are there to help you get fish. Tight lines friends!

Sep 29, 2010
Santa Clarita
Name
Dwight
Boat Name
Taiyaki
Sounded like you had a great trip. Nice comments for the boat . Is the fuel surcharge only for that boat or it’s pretty much across all the landings
Great question. I can only answer that For Seaforth, it looked like the overnight and 1.5 day boats all had a surcharge disclaimer. I'd be curious about the other landings as well.

Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
Bay Area
Name
Dan
Boat Name
23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
Thanks for the write up. I went on the same trip earlier this month with my dad and cousin. The boat scratched for a dozen or so BFT; all were quality size with the first, largest and only nighttime fish being 174 lb, I believe. I echo what you said about the Tribute team. Tyler worked his ass off, as did the rest of the crew (Dan, Frank, Anthony and a new guy they were showing the ropes). When I saw Tyler come walking down the dock, I thought I was watching a Vidal Sassoon ad. He's got quite a head of hair. LOL Seriously, though, the crew was as good as any I've ever seen. I hope they got Nick's PA squared away by now. My cousin (electrician) took a quick look and the whole station was dead. Nick's a good dude and very fishy, in the best possible way.

Reactions: sound_designer
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2010
Santa Clarita
Name
Dwight
Boat Name
Taiyaki
Thanks for the write up. I went on the same trip earlier this month with my dad and cousin. The boat scratched for a dozen or so BFT; all were quality size with the first, largest and only nighttime fish being 174 lb, I believe. I echo what you said about the Tribute team. Tyler worked his ass off, as did the rest of the crew (Dan, Frank, Anthony and a new guy they were showing the ropes). When I saw Tyler come walking down the dock, I thought I was watching a Vidal Sassoon ad. He's got quite a head of hair. LOL Seriously, though, the crew was as good as any I've ever seen. I hope they got Nick's PA squared away by now. My cousin (electrician) took a quick look and the whole station was dead. Nick's a good dude and very fishy, in the best possible way.
Before I saw Tyler, another angler told me, "All I can think of when I see Tyler is Thor with that long mane of hair!" Love the Vidal reference! :)

+1 on the PA...it was pretty tough to hear...glad Nick has a loud, booming voice to make up for it a bit!

Upvote 0