aussiefisho

Always learning to fish smarter.
May 19, 2011
South Australia, Australia
Name
Russell Iles
Boat
Sold
Feathered hooks do not get a lot of use in my state of Australia (South Australia ), but our inland fresh water streams & lakes along with some East coast fishers are using them. Freshwater fishing is almost non existent here & I have not seen feathered lures used in the last 20+ years although you might see a couple in the tackle stores.
So what is it with feathers for trebbles & singles?
Why would I use feathered hooks for SW fishing?

Appreciate any advice whether you only fish Fresh or Salty or both, I am open to learning about both, as I have an interstate trip planned when the China virus allows crossing the border.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Feathers can often mimic a bait fish while helping conceal the hook. Fished correctly, they can quite productive in fresh and salt water.

Reactions: aussiefisho
Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Are you talking fly fishing? Or trolling feathers? Send a case of XXXX and I’ll figure it out.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    aussiefisho
    aussiefisho
    Surely you do not drink 4X!!!! Real beer comes in the name of Coopers Ale(s) You can tell when women have been drinking it as it puts hair on your chest.

I was refering to hard body lures.
    Upvote 0
    NaClAddict
    NaClAddict
    Tooey’s Old then!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Feathers can add secondary action to a lure that looks like fins that are barely waving. A prime example is my favorite Pencil Popper, the Shower Blows. It can be worked to Chug, Pop and Walk the Dog. When you stop it, the tail treble, which is feathered and lightly flashed, slowly flares open and kind of sashays as it sinks to a vertical position. I have seen big fish come up under it while I'm working the lure, but not commit. Stop the retrieve and the feathered treble does it's thing. 1/2 a second later and they slurp it in ever so gently. Some of my biggest fish have come like that.
    When people try to make their own I see that they often use far to much. you only want 1 or 2 feathers and a tiny amount of flash.

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Some guys do add it to lures. It helps. I watched a rook kill it with a surface iron treble with Maribiou flash and streamer. He cut it off and hookups went down.

Westcoast saltwater, not so much. Generally we like to get ‘em frothing to where they eat the bare hook. Aggravated and reacting not fooled. Like GT fishing. streamers etc tends to bleed over where you have scrap-whippers (fly fisherman).

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Another trick is to add a red treble to the throat hook. I cant tell you how many times I have seen fish hit that red treble like I painted a bulls-eye on it! The red gives them something to target when I'm working it fast to get attention, then when I slow/stop, the feathers really sell it for the big girls to come in and slurp an injured/half dead bait.
    BTW the red seams to loose effectiveness at depths greater than I would guess 4x what I can see into the water. The feathers still seam to work though.

Upvote 0

Latest posts