Travel with line on reels

Bruce Niccum

May 14, 2017
Kansas
Name
Bruce
Boat
Bass boat
Depart next week for the cape, just making sure about the rules .
I know when flying out of SJD you cannot have line on the reels in your carry on. My question is Does it apply when flying into SJD, United stated that they are fine with reels with line as a carry on item.
Just want to make sure that customs doesn't have an issue with it
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Same question but for Puerto Vallarta. Can one have line on their reels flying out of PVR? Never have a problem flying from SAN to AK or Panama and back.

Upvote 0

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
  • Oct 7, 2006
    los alamitos
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    whatever floats
    Been flying down to Los Cabos for over 10 years and always carried on my reels with line and never had an issue.

Upvote 0

Bruce Niccum

May 14, 2017
    Kansas
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    Bass boat
    I know flying out of SJD if you carry on your reels they must be free of line , if you check them in your baggage line is okay.
    I'm guessing it's considered a weapon

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    I am guessing because it could be used as a weapon.

download.jpg

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    I believe the concern is flying back to the US. Anybody having issue with SJD or PVR security bringing home their reels filled with line?

When I went to Guatemala, I could not bring hooks or even an excercise band through their security even though I had no questions by TSA on the way there.

Upvote 0

Fin.Adx

Sushi Hunter
    Jan 31, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Sushi Hunter
    Boat
    Sushi Hunter
    Flew down to Cabo end of 2015, and had 3 reels with me. Flew back on Alaska, and carried on all 3 with line, no issues at all. Is this something that's changed recently? I'll be heading down in August, and would like to get some more info.
    Only issue coming back in 2015 was a selfie stick my brother had for his gopro, had to be checked in.

Upvote 0

Bruce Niccum

May 14, 2017
    Kansas
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    Bass boat
    I believe it stipulates you cannot have line on your reels when departing from SJD, not sure about other airports within Mexico. It applies to carry on luggage only,

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    in the past all my reels were in my backpack with line on and no issues but they also had reel covers on them too. maybe I just lucked out

Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
    Pinedale WY USA
    Name
    Dave Harper
    Boat
    17 Crestliner
    What would be their issue with line? Is it a weapon?

There is no logical rationale....this has been going on for many years, but it is a crapshoot as to what the people at the security will decide to let on. Never had any issues carrying things down. Just check reels, lures, tools etc on the way back.

Upvote 0

Bruce Niccum

May 14, 2017
    Kansas
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    Bass boat
    Just got back from 7 days at the ranch, checked all reels but one ,, a small curado. Well upon going through the checkpoint I had to remove the line before being allowed to carry it on. No issues with small tackle as carrying
    Check the big stuff
    Had a great time as always

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    I was just down in Cabo. I asked the Alaska Counter person about this exact thing. She gave me the chart which shows what you can and cant take on board in carry on. It did not show reels with line on them so I asked her directly. She said that It does not show it on the list but it is NOT ALLOWED. She said if you do have it when you go through screening they will make you remove all of the line on the reel. I had this happen the time before this and fortunately the Security and his supervisor were cool about it and let me keep the line on my reels but told me to remember for next time.
    So what I do now is on my spinning reels I remove the line and put that in my checked baggage. Then I carry on the reels themselves. This does help keep anyone from stealing them as without the reels to them the line and spool is not worth stealing from your bags... but unfortunately as for your conventional reels unless you remove the spool you will have to put them in checked baggage. One recommendation is that you take a photo of your reels in your checked bag. That way if they do end up missing you have documentation that you put them in that bag. If they are going to steal them they will get them but it helps when you make a claim. I also make a list of what reels and rods I take with me. And while on this subject remember that you are only allowed 4 Rods and 4 Reels per person going into Mexico. It says so on the Customs Declaration on back and they want you to carry your own ( they gave us crap one time because me and my buddy had all 8 Rods in one Bazooka Case ).
    Hope this helps out.

Upvote 0

4Bigeye2na

Almost A Member
    Jan 7, 2015
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Searay
    Since 911 the line issue came into the equation regarding being used as a weapon. The thought of taking off my spectra and rewinding coming and going has made me leave my stuff at home. Seems based on the remarks above it's a coin flip

Upvote 0

Bruce Niccum

May 14, 2017
    Kansas
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    Bass boat
    Just got back and there is defitnely a no line on reels policy when it comes to carry on.
    I did however try something to reduce the additional baggage amount I taped two pvc rod tubes together which still keeps it under the 115" allowance even with 8ft sticks. Just wrote my wife's name on one tube and mine on the other. Going into SJD no issues , departing no issues. At SJD they stated it was fine. It counted as one checked bag for the $25 baggage fee instead of the typical 25 first bag 40 for the 2nd.

Hope this helps, and I appreciate all the input prior to my trip. It prevented me from having any issues either way.
    Thanks again

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    Just got back and there is defitnely a no line on reels policy when it comes to carry on.
    I did however try something to reduce the additional baggage amount I taped two pvc rod tubes together which still keeps it under the 115" allowance even with 8ft sticks. Just wrote my wife's name on one tube and mine on the other. Going into SJD no issues , departing no issues. At SJD they stated it was fine. It counted as one checked bag for the $25 baggage fee instead of the typical 25 first bag 40 for the 2nd.

Hope this helps, and I appreciate all the input prior to my trip. It prevented me from having any issues either way.
    Thanks again
    Oh man... thanks for this Idea ... saves $50 bucks round trip...

Upvote 0

Normslanding

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 13, 2010
    Palmetto, Fl., USA
    Name
    Dave Spangler
    Boat
    Blue Heaven
    I have been fishing PV several times a year, for years. If you are not in a hurry and have Mono on your reels go for it. Once in a while you will get thru X-ray. My checked bag has a drill motor, long bolt with the head cut off, and a large empty line spool in it to wind line on. I have lost lots of costly JB hollow Spectra because of this issue, and YES Mexico's TSA's consider line a weapon. So the conventional reel get the Spectra removed, and the spinners have the spool removed. It all goes in my checked bag. I also have had reel stolen out of a checked bag. The reels go in my carry-on, that ended any issues.

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    I have been fishing PV several times a year, for years. If you are not in a hurry and have Mono on your reels go for it. Once in a while you will get thru X-ray. My checked bag has a drill motor, long bolt with the head cut off, and a large empty line spool in it to wind line on. I have lost lots of costly JB hollow Spectra because of this issue, and YES Mexico's TSA's consider line a weapon. So the conventional reel get the Spectra removed, and the spinners have the spool removed. It all goes in my checked bag. I also have had reel stolen out of a checked bag. The reels go in my carry-on, that ended any issues.
    Thanks very much for the PV specifics. Was not sure if the line considered a weapon was specific to Cabo or all of Mexico. In Guatemala, we could not bring any lures through.

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    I just asked TSA for the US regulation on this subject.
    Here was my question:
    Me:
    " Can I take my fishing reels with line on them in my Carry On baggage?" I am flying from California to Alaska.
    TSA:
    "Thank you for asking. You'll be glad to hear that fishing reels and line are allowed in Carry-on bags".

This is directly from the TSA ONLINE MESSENGER app that they have. The response is from a real TSA agent.
    I am keeping a screen shot of it so if TSA gives me any crap I can show them it came directly from them.

Hope this info helps for US travel

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    Had no issue in Alaska either last week but they did check my bag both directions due to jigs.

Unfortunately, the issue with line is with TSA Mexico's rules.

I just asked TSA for the US regulation on this subject.
    Here was my question:
    Me:
    " Can I take my fishing reels with line on them in my Carry On baggage?" I am flying from California to Alaska.
    TSA:
    "Thank you for asking. You'll be glad to hear that fishing reels and line are allowed in Carry-on bags".

This is directly from the TSA ONLINE MESSENGER app that they have. The response is from a real TSA agent.
    I am keeping a screen shot of it so if TSA gives me any crap I can show them it came directly from them.

Hope this info helps for US travel

Upvote 0

impreza619

Fish or Cut Bait
    Jul 10, 2007
    La Jolla
    Name
    E
    Boat
    Kencraft
    Traveled back from Cabo with a spinning reel filled with spectra to fish the beach along with a box of jigs, poppers, etc equpped with sharp hooks, a hook sharpener (file kind), a travel rod and a set of pliers... they only had a issue about the reel specifically the line (spectra), ended up having to toss the line or check the reel in. I ended up removing the spool and checking it right before the baggage check in time. Ended my vacation with a little panic attack haha.

My advice, check in anything with line to avoid any ridiculousness. Take a pic of whats reels you are checking in and buy some travel insurance in case of theft in transit.

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    I always take a pic of whats in my suitcase before I close it up .. then I use a zip tie to tie the zippers together .. they are ok with zip ties because they can cut them if they need to .. but it helps discourage the baggage theft because its one more step they have to do to get in your bag ... and I only put the spools with line in my check in to mexico but carry on my reels .. the spool alone is worthless to them as they dont have the entire reel.
    But I have only had to do this going to Mexico.

Upvote 0