Heatmaster75

That was fast....
Jul 20, 2019
Western Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
Working on putting together a go bag of essentials for panga fishing in the Cortez. I have been thinking about picking up a couple travel rods to supplement the limited amount of gear that's supplied by the boat. Would like a spinner and a conventional in the 15-30/40 # range. Looking at the okuma nomad series. Anyone have experience with a travel rod set up? Are they worth it?

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
The Nomads are good. There are some reports of the reel seat becoming loose on some models after dunking because the spacer is thick cardboard.

I have a few travel rods for when I go see family in Australia. They catch decent fish and are really convenient. If you are willing to spend more, you can get some quality stuff. I use the Daiwa saltiga G travel and have had good luck with it. Worth it if you are traveling a lot.

Reactions: Heatmaster75
Upvote 0

Heatmaster75

That was fast....
Jul 20, 2019
Western Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
The Diawa looks good for the spinner, relatively same price as the Okuma's.

Phoenix Redeye, I kinda went "ooohh" and got the warm fuzzies... the 7"6" 15-40# paired with an MXJ Raptor may just be the ticket.

The Boss loves Loreto, and she TOLD me we are going at the end of March. We really enjoy fishing on the local Panga's, they are just a little limited on the gear. Usually way over gunned it seems.

Upvote 0

ChrisE

May 3, 2015
Easy
Name
C
Boat
Hobie Kayak
The Nomads are good. There are some reports of the reel seat becoming loose on some models after dunking because the spacer is thick cardboard.

I have a few travel rods for when I go see family in Australia. They catch decent fish and are really convenient. If you are willing to spend more, you can get some quality stuff. I use the Daiwa saltiga G travel and have had good luck with it. Worth it if you are traveling a lot.
The daiwa’s look good, not many reviews out there about them though. What are your thoughts on quality?

Reactions: Texas Tuna
Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
The daiwa’s look good, not many reviews out there about them though. What are your thoughts on quality?

Awesome. I have recommended the conventionals to a couple people and they all love them. I really like the connection. It has a very nice bend and feels like a one piece. You can also dish out a little more and get the Airportable. The 8'5'' Airportable throws a tady 45 size jig perfectly.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Got a Nomad Express 30-60 Spinning when Charkbait was closing down the SD store. It's been great. Also have a Charkbait-branded 12-25 lb baitcasting one and no name 20-40 lb E-glass conventional one off of eBay; no complaints.

The 4-section, 8'6", no name set is the one I chose to re-wrap the few of the guides on the second section in way that allows the rod to be assembled in an acid wrap config. YMMV, but it was a relatively easy customization to do since it was only two guides on the second section that had to be re-wrapped. The guides of the tip and third sections (no guides on the handle section) were left as-is because these sections could be connected with the necessary 45 degree offset angle to result with the the tip at 180 from the stripper guide.

Also was able to get another second section at time of purchase; put a roller guide on the tip so the shorter 6'9" 3-section config can potentially function as a 50 or 60 conventional rod.

Adding photos...

IMG_20210224_112431829.jpg

IMG_20210224_065949107.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ChrisE

May 3, 2015
    Easy
    Name
    C
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Awesome. I have recommended the conventionals to a couple people and they all love them. I really like the connection. It has a very nice bend and feels like a one piece. You can also dish out a little more and get the Airportable. The 8'5'' Airportable throws a tady 45 size jig perfectly.
    Nice, these look awesome. I saw that Shimano released a 3 piece Grappler down under as well.

Upvote 0