bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
Hey Guys,

I wanted to get some info from some of you in reference to traveling to Cabo on Volaris from TJ, I am going to be in San Diego for a few days in the end of June and wanted to head down to Cabo to do a little fishing. I have heard of people traveling to TJ to fly on volaris and I have found some really good rates just wanted to get some input. Best way to the airport? Is it a hastle? Can i take the train to the border and cross them catch a cab? Would it be better to just fly from San Diego about a 400 difference. I like a little adventure but not a major headache either.

SStevens

Jan 19, 2012
Long Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
none
I fly out of TJ all the time on the Volaris and have a refferal for a transport vechile that will pick you up in San Diego drop you off at the airport and pick you up curbside when you return. Its a very good deal. PM me if you have questions.

SStevens

Jan 19, 2012
Long Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
none
When I fly to La Paz Cabo or PV I fly Volaris out of TJ. The transportation I use picks me up in San Diego and drops me off right at the door to the airport cost is $40 USD each way. Security is fast at the airport. Planes are late model canadian Airbuses, very clean planes that have Tv's with movies drinks are free and you get a meal that is included in your fare. You do not have to pay for checking in bags. Once you land you do not clear customs since it is a domestic to domestic flight make getting in and out of the airport very fast.

streetnfish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
I flew to Hermosillo,Mex in Nov for a wedding. Had a friend drop me off at Otay Mesa and walked across border. Caught a cab there to the airport with no problem. No prob a TJ airport. Flew Volaris and the planes were very clean. Flight attendants were very attentive. I would definitely use them again. On a side note I was very suprised at how many americans were in the TJ airport. Just use common sense as you would in any foriegn country and you should be fine.

cutcamp

Nueve Dedos
Aug 10, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
Eric Dahlkamp
Boat
215 Triumph "Nail Em Again"
My wife and I have flown Volaris out of TJ several times. This is not a "you get what you pay for" deal. Its much better than that. We live in San Diego, so we usually have someone drop us off at the Otay Mesa border crossing and walk across and get a cab right there. Remember, you'll need a tourist visa which you can buy at the airport and runs about $25 ish dollars. Planes are newer and we've had 0 problems over the years. Have fun!

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
When I fly to La Paz Cabo or PV I fly Volaris out of TJ. The transportation I use picks me up in San Diego and drops me off right at the door to the airport cost is $40 USD each way. Security is fast at the airport. Planes are late model canadian Airbuses, very clean planes that have Tv's with movies drinks are free and you get a meal that is included in your fare. You do not have to pay for checking in bags. Once you land you do not clear customs since it is a domestic to domestic flight make getting in and out of the airport very fast.
what is name of co. and a phone number if you have it. thank's

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
Cutcamp,
You mentioned needing a tourist visa. I have a passport so I do not need the tourist visa, correct?
Glenn

jackhole

Apr 29, 2010
HB
Name
jack
Boat
30 foot skipjack “Paddywagon”
You still need a travel visa. DONT LOOSE it either or customs will bang you for more $ on your return flight....

PaDDy Killer'

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
They have free alcoholic drinks and don't mind giving them. Best flight I have been on.

Surfnsand

When's the next trip?
May 26, 2012
Murrieta, CA / Villas De Cortez Los Barriles
Name
Cody
Boat
40' Riviera Convertible - "Salty Pleasure"/ 21' Wellcraft 212 Fisherman
Volaris out of TJ is definitely the way to go. Normally we have to fly out of San Diego on Alaska because my wife can bring her dog on the plane (not able to with Volaris), but the price is more than twice as much but the price does include travel visas and there is no border crossing.

Leave your truck at the paid parking lot on Roll Dr just past the Carl's Jr on the left side. Last time down my dad left his window rolled down on accident and had a bunch of construction equipment inside that was still there when we got back a week later, never had a problem here and it's a decent price. Walk across the border and grab a cab for $20, it's a fun ride and you'll get to the airport in 5-10 minutes. I think our record was just under 5 mins. When you walk into the airport go to the right and get your tourist visa, it's 480 pesos and make sure you have pesos. The exchange rates at the gas stations are pretty decent.

Check into your flight, head over to the bar and start drinking with all the extra money you saved.

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Don't fish Cabo anymore but when I did I almost always used Tijuana flights. Much cheaper good service, just a little more planning with the ground transportation ect. Have a good time and you will like the experience

thefishkiller

Oct 2, 2005
San Jose Del Cabo
Name
Jeremy
Boat
Amelia Marie/MistressII
I fly to Cabo on volaris frequently. Planes are decent, though a little less roomy. Try to book on the port side of the airplane. They don't keep them as cool as Alaska, and sitting on starboard window during summer can get a little warm. That's my only complaint besides their exorbitant fees for going over on luggage if you don't purchase it in advance.

c-nut

Fishing addict
Mar 2, 2003
Murrieta, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
TBA
I called Volaris today and ask about fishing pole length. Has to be in a tube and as long as you bought the extra weight that includes sporting equipment up front there is no length limit. She entered that information in Spanish under the notes in my reservation. Someone had mentioned to do that. Hope it works since my tube will be 8.5ft long. What do you think my chances are of getting reamined at the airport?

smassey1

Jun 9, 2006
Pacific Beach, San Diego CA
Name
Steve Massey
Boat
Blackjack 29' Mirage blackjackcharters.com/Wellcraft 250 Coastal "Mistress"
flown w/ 8' tube no problem out of
tj.
heading down in july w/family on same flights.
bring zip ties to close tube after inspection.
have fun
Steve

cutcamp

Nueve Dedos
Aug 10, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
Eric Dahlkamp
Boat
215 Triumph "Nail Em Again"
Glenn,

You still need a tourist visa AND a passport.

Eric

Who Farted

Jan 1, 2007
Temecula
Name
Andrew
Boat
6-10 Rusty
For the last couple of years I've taken Volaris down to Cabo, La Paz, PV, etc. It's great, even took the wife and kids earlier this year. I've used long-term parking at both Otay and TJ, and cab to the airport. Never had an issue. I think crossing back at Otay is faster - 20 mins from leaving the airport to picking up your car in the US. You will need to get a tourist visa when you get to the airport - $25.00. There is always a little adventure crossing the border, but that's the only downside.