Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Hey all, so for Father’s Day I was going to look for a bass reel for my dad, he is currently fishing a cheaper abu Garcia that has a hard time engaging the drag button. I figured what better time than Father’s Day? I’m looking for a lexa 300 possibly but if I heard otherwise I’d be interested in a tranx 300

Thank you in advanced
-Logan

Goldenglory18

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Whoever is chasing the yellows
Hey Logan,

I’ve been a Daiwa guy for a long time, and I just picked up a new Lexa LX-HD in the 300 size. The fit and finish on this reel is fantastic, and much improved from the years past (model blue with gold trim). I’ve been so impressed with this one out of the box I’m considering a 400 sized as well.

My recommendation would be to take Pops to a shop and see what he connects with. The one that doesn’t leave his hands is the one you should pickup. Shimano, Daiwa, or otherwise.

- Kenny

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Hey Logan,

I’ve been a Daiwa guy for a long time, and I just picked up a new Lexa LX-HD in the 300 size. The fit and finish on this reel is fantastic, and much improved from the years past (model blue with gold trim). I’ve been so impressed with this one out of the box I’m considering a 400 sized as well.

My recommendation would be to take Pops to a shop and see what he connects with. The one that doesn’t leave his hands is the one you should pickup. Shimano, Daiwa, or otherwise.

- Kenny
Yeah I feel the same way about both the 300 and 400 daiwa, I have them both and love them. I feel like the 300 was a little big still for what he would do with his original bass set up. Thank you for the reply I’ll probably head to a tackle shop with him and see which he likes better. I’d like to surprise him with it though because we are on an 8 day Father’s Day

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Yeah I feel the same way about both the 300 and 400 daiwa, I have them both and love them. I feel like the 300 was a little big still for what he would do with his original bass set up. Thank you for the reply I’ll probably head to a tackle shop with him and see which he likes better. I’d like to surprise him with it though because we are on an 8 day Father’s Day
Totally understand. The 300 is a great sized reel. I actually preferred it to the Coastal which is a 200 sized which I quickly offloaded.

I bet you would be happy with the 300 HD. It’s a super solid reel that has proven fish killing ability.

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I served for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
I have both and like both, the Lexa HD 300HS-P and the Tranx 300HG. Both have been used for the past few seasons to fly line bait on 20# line. The Lexa has a little more line capacity, wider and shorter spool than the Tranx. It has a mag cast control and stainless gears, smooth enough for me. The Tranx is smaller, has a taller and narrower spool, more IPT than the Lexa. I don’t think you can go wrong with either, it’s all personal preference between the two but I kind of like the Lexa just a little bit more.
Biggest fish so far on my Tranx was a 23# yft.

22F6118D-2D4B-494A-9372-52D6C2F11558.jpeg

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Kenny
Boat
Yeppers. These 300 sized reels are great for schoolie sized fish.

I took a Lexa-CC 300 with me on the Old Glory two years ago and paired with a Calstar glass West Coast 270, it was my go-to rig the whole trip. So much fun and super confident setup.

Reactions: dctalk523

Nighthawks

Apr 6, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Name
Billy
Boat
None
I own both the Lexa 300 HD (counter-balanced ball handle) and the Tranx 300A (double paddle handle), but I bought them primarily for musky and pike. Both are great reels, but I use the Tranx far more, due to its amazing ergonomics and double paddle handle that allow me to impart lots of action to the lures. For chuck-n-wind type fishing (swimbaits for example), the Lexa's handle is really nice, but I don't do as much of that.

I don't prefer either as an every-day bass reel when using small to medium size bass baits like spinnerbaits, weightless worms and lizards, crankbaits, skirted jigs, poppers, Zara Spooks, etc. For that, I prefer a 200 size reel.

If your dad's tossing lots of larger baits, I'm sure he'd like a 300 size reel.

Nighthawks

Apr 6, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Name
Billy
Boat
None
Hey Logan,

- Kenny
Great idea.