Tranx or lexa 400

Hale

Nov 4, 2014
Name
Hale Abels
Boat
too damn broke
What do you prefer? Price point on lexa is better but don't mind paying more for a better reel.

Upvote 0

Kola chaser

Dec 30, 2013
victorville ca usa
Name
Kola chaser
Boat
Coming soon
What do you prefer? Price point on lexa is better but don't mind paying more for a better reel.
20150820_151447.jpg
LEXA 400

Upvote 0

Skahn

Oct 2, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Sam
Boat
Arima Yellowtail
The Tranx is a 500 size reel, while the Lexa is a 400 size. The Tranx is a larger reel. The lexa does cast better out of the box, but i feel like the TranX cast much better once you have the braking system dialed in.

Reactions: Tackleho619
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet

Depends on the use.

Locally in SoCal, probably Lexa 400 or Revo Toro S/Beast. Bassin', YT and schoolies. Komodo 364 totally in the conversation as well.

7-Day range, you will enjoy the Tranx on Wahoo more (faster reel) and on the larger model fish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
saw the okuma komodo 400 at fred hall. it looked BIGGER then the lexa 400. did not get the capacity

I'll take an Okuma over a Daiwa any day but still encourage anyone to just get one! The Lexa is still a great reel.

If the Komodo 400 has slightly less capacity than a Lexa 400 it really doesn't matter. Anything that spools one is going to spool the other and the Komodo should be stronger with a "tighter" form factor that won't flex as much under load.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandiegosteve

Fish nerd
Feb 5, 2007
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
Lil' Defiance Pilothouse
Tranx is a little bigger. Both are nice. Both fit a niche between your Curado 300 style reel and your conventional bait outfit. Both fit it a little differently.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Consider how you will use it? If you are throwing heavier jigs such as a Tady 45 on the long rod such as a90 or 100j to fish the surface yellows definately go with the Tranx.

Yes, and if you want something to throw smaller poppers then a Lexa is going to be a better choice too, imo. After using a Tranx a little more with light stuff (<2oz) that has a bit of cross section (so that it slows quickly) I feel it really is not that great with that sort of lure. Fine once you get over 2oz or for more dense stuff (iron), but not so great with the small poppers that are so good in the SoCal bight.

Lexa can handle stuff down to maybe 1/2 oz or a little more and still cast big stuff superbly.

I still prefer a Revo Toro Beast for all-around :D.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Again it all comes down to how and where you are fishing? Inside Sportsfishing recently had an excellent three part series on fishing the long rod with surface iron for yellowtail predominatly inside the Coronados near San Diego. Greg Trompas and Rick Maxa are two of the masters and have schooled me more than once. The last two years these fish have all been all in the 20-40 pound range. You need a reel that you can depend on. A heavy strong reel is essential as well as a strong back. I primarily use a Trinidad 20 with 40 or 50 as do both of those guys. The Tranx is comparable in its capabilities. When fishing day after day on these toads, the tranx is a strong reel that you can depend on. Last year the giant bluefin also showed up close to this region and as tempermental as they were, a surface iron was one way to get bit. However landing those 30-60 pounders on a 9-10 foot rod was a different story. Good luck with the lexa in that situation. Its a matter choice and use.

Reactions: mudshark
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Went with the Tranx hg, looking forward to fishing it

Its a beast!

Eventually you will fill out the quiver with smaller and lighter stuff too :).

Upvote 0

vincent2003

Almost A Member
Nov 25, 2013
Granada Hills, ca, USA
Name
Vincent
Boat
none
I would say tranx for the HG but now you can get an 8:1 lexa.
Tranx has better cast control if you want distance.
I replaced my lexa bearings with boca for improved distance. I hoping to swap out my older lexa 400 HG for the 8:1 pinion and gear.

Don't get hooked on popping or heavy waxwing with a tranx. There's no turning back

Reactions: coastalwerks
Upvote 0

Jones-White

Apr 10, 2018
Long beach
Name
Chris
Boat
Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
Ehh I like a challenge, use a curado 300 ej with 65 power pro 20/30 top. Smashed 40 pound yellowfin all day while all the old timers are bitching at me for fishing "light tackle". Guess who caught more fish

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

tugasangler

Apr 9, 2016
Virginia
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
I’ve only used my 400s for big swimbait fishing but I have tossed some pretty heavy lures and caught some pretty big bass with them without issue . I am I about to start using them as my introduction to slow pitch jigging reels . They are bad ass and smooth as butter in all senses and ones even been dunked . Freshwater but still

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Love my tranx hg. Got a 120# bluefin on it .

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    58290320-5E46-43FB-8550-ABB6A8B7C39C.jpeg
    Last year the giant bluefin also showed up close to this region and as tempermental as they were, a surface iron was one way to get bit. However landing those 30-60 pounders on a 9-10 foot rod was a different story. Good luck with the lexa in that situation. Its a matter choice and use.

This fish was caught on a Lexa 400.

Upvote 0