Tranx 500 Lefty

Discussion in 'Shimano Fishing Gear' started by Vanilla_Gorilla95, Jul 13, 2017.

1. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Of course, but it does make a huge difference. I only really need to completely disassemble my Tranx's (that don't get submerged) once a month, my curados have to be completely stripped at least once a week, and the Tranx's are in much better shape.

2. JohnTerrazas

JohnTerrazas Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Dirty claim

I’m not sure if you work at Shimano in Irvine, but my office isn’t too far away on Goddard street.

You say a lot of misleading stuff manufacturing parts.

There’s cast dies of those Shimano Tranx and to simply re-run the Cnc machine to refab those cast molds is easy.

You simply open the program and there’s if even option to flip it left or right to mirror.

If you like I can show at my shop in Irvine. We have about 10 Cnc machines
    I can also show how making those tranx out of aluminum and dyed different colors would be cheaper.

3. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    If it were only that easy. There are a lot of other parts that are exclusive to LH/RH reels.

Don't get me wrong, I would order two this instant if they were available.

Just saying it's not as simple as checking a box in CNC file.

I stopped holding my breath for a 501 a long time ago. If Shimano don't think I'm worth it, I just won't buy Shimano. Simple!

4. JohnTerrazas

JohnTerrazas Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Dirty claim
    Like I said anyone can come buy my shop, and I’ll show you how easy it is.
    There’s some adjustments, but it’s still easy.

5. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    If they made a Tranx500 lefty, I would buy it the first day it came out.

I am waiting for a tranx 600 lefty with a bait clicker and 2 speeds!

6. Bantam1

Bantam1 Shimano Rep Advertiser

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    John,

Yes I am aware that CNC can make the process easier. I am very familiar with machining processes having a father that was a prototype machinist in the Aerospace industry for a major defense company. I have spoken with him at length about many things concerning our products. I shoot with a few of his retired coworkers that are also machinists. That does not mean I could jump on a lathe or HAAS machine and make something. I just have a little more than a basic understanding of the process involved to manufacture parts and the materials we use.

The cost of the additional material and machine time is why I said the cost will go up. A casting with some minimal machining is much less expensive than a chunk of A-7075 or A-6061 machined down to a side plate size piece. Then you have the anodize process, dyeing of the part, etc.

Typically we start with a raw forging then the piece is machined. This is used for side plates and frames on some reel models like Tiagra for example. Casting is used for the frame and size plates on the Tranx. It is more than strong enough for the intended use of that reel and the drag rating.

I was not saying it was impossible. I was only trying to point out the additional cost would reflect on the final cost of the reel.

7. Jeff Gonzalez

Jeff Gonzalez Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Troller CC
    Bringing this back from the dead but any update on this? I'm right handed but prefer a left handed retrieve as it feels more "natural" to set and control the rod with your dominant hand and retrieve with your off hand. Almost all of my buddies that I fish with feel the same.

Besides the point....Shimano, lets make a Christmas Miracle happen and introduce the Tranx 501.

NextMikeSays likes this.
  8. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    I am right handed too and like you feel that I like to use my stronger arm to control the rod and use my left hand to reel.

9. Bantam1

Bantam1 Shimano Rep Advertiser

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    It's probably not going to happen unless we see a redesign of the 500.