Shimano Tranx 500 Handle Choices?

Reverendpdp

Jun 10, 2016
People's Republic of South Florida
Name
D Penton
Boat
Not Yet
I have a Tranx 500 coming in and plan to swap out that white knob immediately. I saw some guys going with a slightly longer Talica arm / knob assembly. Which part would I order to do this? How would a long knob affect the performance of the reel?

Do I have any other options? I'm looking for something less slippery and less dirtier than the white knob... maybe a basic round EVA foam one?

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I have a Tranx 500 coming in and plan to swap out that white knob immediately. I saw some guys going with a slightly longer Talica arm / knob assembly. Which part would I order to do this? How would a long knob affect the performance of the reel?

Do I have any other options? I'm looking for something less slippery and less dirtier than the white knob... maybe a basic round EVA foam one?

Probably thinking of the Trinidad arms, not the Talica. Any of the Trini arms should fit on it, but they'd come with another white knob, so you'd have to order the Trini arm by itself instead of the handle assembly and then another knob separately. As far as the EVA knob goes, that's what I've done with mine and love them. Shimano PN RD15058 (EVA knob) and RD15059 (knob seal), they're used on the 10000 Sustain FG. You'll have to take the bearings out of the Tranx knob and install them on the new knob but you can see how this works in either the Tranx or Sustain schematic.

Here are some pictures of my 300/400 Tranx's with EVA knobs/seals from the Sustain reels.

AZyyqEn.jpg

jyoQnEB.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Uhhh I wanna say it's 45mm? That sounds about right, it's about the same size and shape as the Lexa 400 EVA knob.

I'm pretty sure this is a picture of the knob on 1"x1" grid squares, and that would match the 45mm. (I also realized I got the part numbers wrong, I was off by 1 for each of them, I corrected my previous post.)

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/part_p_1542532_842914286.gif

You can also look at aftermarket knobs, like the ones on Japan Tackle, just make sure they're Shimano Type B compatible.

Upvote 0

FISHUNTR

Almost A Member
Jul 18, 2010
SE Fl
Uhhh I wanna say it's 45mm? That sounds about right, it's about the same size and shape as the Lexa 400 EVA knob.

I'm pretty sure this is a picture of the knob on 1"x1" grid squares, and that would match the 45mm. (I also realized I got the part numbers wrong, I was off by 1 for each of them, I corrected my previous post.)

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/part_p_1542532_842914286.gif

You can also look at aftermarket knobs, like the ones on Japan Tackle, just make sure they're Shimano Type B compatible.

Thanks

Upvote 0