DC61

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Do any of you you use a Tranx 500 for wahoo bombs or for throwing iron for wahoo? I've used it for surface iron and it was great. Asking for a friend.....

back-breaker

Sep 30, 2005
Arcata
Name
Jim Simondet
Boat
22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage
I used the 500hg this fall for the first time. My retrieve felt choppy. I couldn’t get a sustained steady fast retrieve. Could be the handle is too short for my liking. I’m going to try the longer shimano handle next time.

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
Me too, fish two of them for bombs - one on a UC Wahoo and the other on a UC Tilefish. Light, easy to cast all day but you have to wind fast, as fast as you can. 80# spectra direct to Titanium wire on the bombs. Stupid tight drag. Works well.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Yes. just be ready and able to exert some muscle force to turn the handle, Randell.

Mike Lacky just shakes his head at us for using them, he says they are geared too steep. The classic fighting method of keeping the rod pointed straight at the fish throughout the entire fight will not work with the HG........I speak from experience. :D However, if you pay attention to LINE SLACK (and allow NONE), then a little bit of pumping and grinding will work.

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
No. I'm just more comfortable with a narrow 4/0 size reel for this application. I'm lucky enough to have some Trinidad 40 narrows for the bombs, and jigs and that's what I'm staying with.

Don't get me wrong I like the Tranx 500 reels, just not for me.

floydlpackard

Jan 24, 2012
Kennewick, WA USA
Name
Floyd
Boat
none
I have been on a trip when a guy used the 500hg tranx to just slay the wahoo on bombs. most of them came on the slide. I know stemac on the board is an excellent wahoo fisherman and swears by the Tranx. I have two 500hg and they are always rigged up when in wahoo country. They are not the fastest reel and the handle is short, but you can really burn them in with the level wind. When properly set up you don't need to worry about backlashes and keeps you in the game. I must admit, last year I caught a 60lb wahoo on the 500hg with a JRI bomb and it was really a tussle getting it in with the short handle and high gears. But like Mikey said you can keep pressure on and pump with care or step back and wind forward. I really like them for wahoo iron, coltsnipers, raiders, 33s. They don't need to be as fast for those. About the only thing I don't use my tranx for is bait fishing or large fish. I have them on a UC wahoo and a UC711 (really a baitcasting format of the tilefish). For all jigs they are a hoot to fish.

stemac

Oct 6, 2011
Fishers, IN USA
Name
Steve McAvoy
Boat
Bullet
I have been on a trip when a guy used the 500hg tranx to just slay the wahoo on bombs. most of them came on the slide. I know stemac on the board is an excellent wahoo fisherman and swears by the Tranx. I have two 500hg and they are always rigged up when in wahoo country. They are not the fastest reel and the handle is short, but you can really burn them in with the level wind. When properly set up you don't need to worry about backlashes and keeps you in the game. I must admit, last year I caught a 60lb wahoo on the 500hg with a JRI bomb and it was really a tussle getting it in with the short handle and high gears. But like Mikey said you can keep pressure on and pump with care or step back and wind forward. I really like them for wahoo iron, coltsnipers, raiders, 33s. They don't need to be as fast for those. About the only thing I don't use my tranx for is bait fishing or large fish. I have them on a UC wahoo and a UC711 (really a baitcasting format of the tilefish). For all jigs they are a hoot to fish.
Yes, I swear by the Tranx HG. Caught 12 on my last trip with my biggest a 61 lb'er on the bomb. I personally do not have a problem pointing the rod at the fish and cranking. Yes, it can be difficult, but is easy once you turn the hoo's head. Give it a try.
Steve

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Yo DC,

From the time those Tranx 500 reels hit the market, I have been touting them as an incredible Wahoo Jig and Bomb reel.. Once the angler learns to put the wood to the fish to quickly turn it's head, with proper tops shots, connections and , the ease of retrieve, simplicity of cast and fish fighting, the reel becomes a joy to use... For those who normally cannot cast Spectra with an under 4 foot flouro or mono leader, this reel makes life so much easier to cast with Spectra than an open faced reel. No doubt Skippers have seen folks, who do not understand how to use the reels struggle, but those same anglers just need to slightly change their fish fighting techniques and learn how easy Wahoo bomb fishing can be with a properly used Tranx 500.. And YES, WE WILL HAVE THESE ON SALE BEFORE THE SHOW AND AT THE SHOW... STAY TUNNED FOR MORE INFO ON OUR SHOW SPECIALS. You are welcome to PM me if you would like more information..

We have a large inventory now with much more coming.. You are welcome to come to the shop to check things out or PM me with questions...Please leave your Phone number on the PM as talking is much more efficient than typing.

Steve (Stemac) and I have been so fortunate to fish together every year for many years... Because of the damage Steve does to Wahoo schools, most of the anglers on that charter own Tranx 500 Reels.. Gee, I wonder who they get those reels from... LOL, Unfortunately, this time of year, at show prices, we tend to run out quickly... So lets discuss getting you on a list...

Hope to chat with you all soon.

P.S. Be aware that when casting with Spectra, most folks will need protection. Finger protection that is... Spectra is certainly more abrasive than plastic lines. But, once you go short top shot on bombs and Wahoo jigs, you will not want to go back.

Respectfully,

Jamie

Last edited:
Reactions: stemac

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
They are very hard to backlash. Kinda like training wheels, room for error, easy to cast for those who don't cast often. I fired one on a 9 footer. Was amazed at how easy the jig sailed.

And some who do cast often. Like them also

Would never be a Wahoo reel of choice for me, giant largemouth bass reel on steroids. But some folks really like them and have good success using them.

I do see where casting jigs into BFT foamers has a advantage. Not a good tool for the fight but the reel makes it easy to land the jig into the foamer, from a distance, backlash free. Casting into the wind maybe