mattCraig

Almost A Member
Apr 25, 2010
Vista/ Oside
Name
Matt
Boat
none
I was down in San Quintin B.C., this past week fishing for three days. YFT and Yellows all over, I casted a Tady A2 three times in a row and landed 18-22# YFTs back to back to back. On my very next cast, my trigger on my Tranx 500 engaged itself with my Tady in midair... the loudest, ugliest sound I have ever herd; came grinding out of my Tranx... Needless to say at the Tranx price filled with 60# hollow core, my heart dropped as my iron hit the water, I reeled in my jig and my Tranx is no longer smooth like butter, it feels like an Okuma haha JK.

Anyone else have this problem yet?

I'll be sending this back today, hopefully Shimanos great Customer Service can take care of me!

Upvote 0

slapazz

Dec 20, 2010
west hills
Name
mike
Boat
17' sportcraft
Believe I remember there was issue with the handle spinning/moving during a cast that caused this? Think it was with the bigger power handle?

Reactions: mattCraig
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Anyone else have this problem yet?

I'll be sending this back today, hopefully Shimanos great Customer Service can take care of me!

Please keep us up to date on this. Im curious to see if this is common of many or just a few reels. I haven't had a problem with Shimanos customer service before but want to see how they they act on this.

Upvote 0

mattCraig

Almost A Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Vista/ Oside
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    none
    Sounds like the reel was partially engaged after casting, it happens.
    As in operator error?

I've used tons of reels from Shimano correctly in my day and they have all been quality, including this Tranx... I think its gotta more of a mishap on a few of these Tranx. I did notice the power handle wants to shift a bit when being casted. Maybe that's what triggered the lever to engage back into gear...

Anyways, I'll keep you updated.

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I know the sound, it is sickening.

The pinion gear may have a nick on the dog or tooth from the accidental engagement. All baitcasters are prone to this when engaging under high load. It will be an easy fix.

Upvote 0

K.W.

Almost A Member
    Apr 23, 2005
    L.A.
    Name
    KW
    Boat
    S.S. Minnow
    I've done it on my Toro and Komodo, but they still work fine after still smooth.

As in operator error?

I've used tons of reels from Shimano correctly in my day and they have all been quality, including this Tranx... I think its gotta more of a mishap on a few of these Tranx. I did notice the power handle wants to shift a bit when being casted. Maybe that's what triggered the lever to engage back into gear...

Anyways, I'll keep you updated.

Upvote 0

soulwinner

jeremiah 9:23,24
    Jun 16, 2014
    sandiego,ca
    Name
    john
    Boat
    cobra
    I was on party boat some dude was throwing iron with his tranx & had it happened 3 times to him sounded nasty. im not sure if he was causing it or not I didnt ask.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
    Jul 9, 2006
    Warner Springs
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    It's simply a matter of physics - the act of casting vigorously is causing the handle to turn and attempting to put the reel in gear. Maybe cast with the handle pointing toward the end of the rod so the inertia has nowhere to go?

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    It sounds like your handle was in a bad position on a hard cast. The inertia/momentum combined with the weight of the knob can cause the reel to go into gear during the cast.

Reactions: johndtuttle
    Upvote 0

mattCraig

Almost A Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Vista/ Oside
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    none
    It sounds like your handle was in a bad position on a hard cast. The inertia/momentum combined with the weight of the knob can cause the reel to go into gear during the cast.
    Hey Bantam1,

Any ideas on the repair time up in Irvine... i sent my Tranx in 2 weeks ago, and I haven't gotten an email or call about anything? Just curious as to what might be going on, and when I can expect it back.... I wanna bend again.

Thanks

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    in San Quintin B.C., this past week fishing for three days. YFT and Yellows all over, I casted a Tady A2 three times in a row and landed 18-22# YFTs back to back. Needless to say at the Tranx price filled with 60# hollow core, my heart dropped as my iron hit the water!

Congrats on the good fishing.
    Since you are filled with light Hollow core, what connection are you using? I love casting my tranx since adjusting the brake. Will the repair be covered under warranty?

Upvote 0

mattCraig

Almost A Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Vista/ Oside
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    none
    Congrats on the good fishing.
    Since you are filled with light Hollow core, what connection are you using? I love casting my tranx since adjusting the brake. Will the repair be covered under warranty?
    I had spliced in 50# floro and finished it with a nail knot, and I have no idea if it is covered, I basically gave the reel back to Shimano and haven't herd from them. I hope they send it back haha.

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    We are about 3 weeks for turn around time.

I would use a different knot such as the RP. If you are using Hollow, I would either serve the connection, or use a wind on leader. The nail knot isn't that great for braid to FC/Mono connections.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star

I would use a different knot such as the RP. If you are using Hollow, I would either serve the connection, or use a wind on leader. The nail knot isn't that great for braid to FC/Mono connections.
    Hey Dan, I just bought a 500hg tranx, have never used one before. Im doing a 10 day on the royal star November 1st. Cant wait to use it for throwing jigs, can you tell me, what position you want the handle in, to avoid that same problem?

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer

Dan has a good point. If the reel has hollow, then a easy loop on the main, put the Shimano FC topshots and you are done.

Now I have never used a premade topshot as I'm just learning how to do my own. I looked at the price and they give you 25 feet of FC with a loop. That's comparable to any spool of FC.

I guess the question is what FC does Shimano put on their topshots?

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    The handle should be in the 6-9:00 position. That is looking at the handle side with the front of the reel facing 3:00. Anything from 12:00-3:00 you stand the chance of the handle tripping the clutch on a hard cast.

Upvote 0

fxbobby

Sep 21, 2005
    Lakeside
    Name
    BOB
    Boat
    SOLD!!!!!!
    Just had the same thing happened to my tracks on a morning half-day trip. On the cast the real engaged 65 pounds spectra with 40 pound florucarbon leader and a $30 Z-bar jig went sailing off into the distance. G I wonder if there is a counterbalance handle available for the Tranx. Now the real sounds like shit when reeling in. Time for a teardown to see if it is the pinion gear

Reactions: James Taylor
    Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    Its just physics. You have a heavy knob on a long handle. This is why the 400 uses a carbon handle knob to cut down on the weight.

The stock handle knob on the 500 usually won't trip the clutch if the handle is in a bad position, but several people are changing the knobs which adds weight and causes more problems. We could make the clutch stiffer, but there would be complaints that it will be hard to push the button.

fxbobby- You reel probably needs a new set of gears if the reel feels rough. When the spool is spinning at high speeds and goes into gear, there usually will be damage to the gear teeth.

Upvote 0

fxbobby

Sep 21, 2005
    Lakeside
    Name
    BOB
    Boat
    SOLD!!!!!!
    Kind of a bummer since it's only the 3rd time I've fished the reel but it's more than 1 year old. I also think that the spool shaft may be bent since it makes a lot more noise in freespool after the jerk of thi Z-bar snapping off the 40lb flouro leader. Wow, glad I have a Lexa 400HD as a backup

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    It's not the spool shaft. The pinion gear is probably damaged from the reel going into gear while the spool was spinning at high RPM. Send the reel in for repair and it will be 100% again.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
    Point Loma
    Name
    Nate
    Boat
    Artemis
    this hasn't happened to me (yet) on my Tranx but I also prefer more parabolic rods that you swing like a pendulum more than a snap. Something to think of for you guys who like a 100% graphite rod. But it also got me thinking... know how big spinning reels use a manual bail for this reason? Wouldn't it make more sense to build these big baitcasters that are casting heavy jigs with a manual clutch for the exact same reasons? Why do we have an automatic clutch on big baitcasters, yet manual on big spinners? The danger of an inadvertent engagement is the same, is it not?
    In the old days we never complained about flipping the lever on our Newells and 500's. I'd take fool proof reliability over risky convenience any day.

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    The Tranx was made for other purposes, but happened to become more popular for our fishing here on the WC. Reels like the Trinidad and Torium have manual clutch levers to eliminate this from happening.

Since the Tranx is a giant low profile baitcast reel, it was built with the push button/handle return clutch mechanism. It is just built stronger.

Anglers have been changing their knobs which add more weight to the handle, or using different handles which are longer. This causes more issues than in the stock configuration. Casting style can also have a negative effect with the handle in the wrong spot.

Upvote 0