Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I'm on a 10 dayer on the X the latter part of Sept into Oct. With the help of the long range vets and the crew helping out a newbie to So Cal long range fishing, I hope to bring some fish back to Texas. I plan on using the processing business that has the girls. How do you guys suggest I transport the fish? Ice and rock salt? Dry ice? I know I need to place something between the fish and dry ice to keep the fish from burning. I have always used ice and dry ice transporting from the GOM to the house. Thats 11 hours. From So Cal to Texas its about 20 hours (without looking at map quest). I plan on taking 2 days to get to So Cal and 2 days to get back...so that 20 hours is just driving time. So I'm looking at 30ish hours total. Driving 10ish hours. Get a room, then driving on home. Tell me something guys. Thanks.

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
once they are vacuum sealed put in the coolers with dry ice you should be good to go.

I use newspapers and a towel between the dry ice and fish

Reactions: abdiver7777

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I'm on a 10 dayer on the X the latter part of Sept into Oct. With the help of the long range vets and the crew helping out a newbie to So Cal long range fishing, I hope to bring some fish back to Texas. I plan on using the processing business that has the girls. How do you guys suggest I transport the fish? Ice and rock salt? Dry ice? I know I need to place something between the fish and dry ice to keep the fish from burning. I have always used ice and dry ice transporting from the GOM to the house. Thats 11 hours. From So Cal to Texas its about 20 hours (without looking at map quest). I plan on taking 2 days to get to So Cal and 2 days to get back...so that 20 hours is just driving time. So I'm looking at 30ish hours total. Driving 10ish hours. Get a room, then driving on home. Tell me something guys. Thanks.

Call 5 Star and ask them……..but if you can wait one day they can flash freeze your fish so they will start out frozen solid…….then with some dry ice you will be good for 30 hours

Reactions: abdiver7777

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
when I relocated from SoCal to Oregon, I put my chest freezers in the back of my truck and plugged them in at the hotel overnight.
If you have chest freezers (you should), maybe think about bringing them along, loading them as if they are ice chests and then plug them in overnight on the road.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Call 5 Star and ask them……..but if you can wait one day they can flash freeze your fish so they will start out frozen solid…….then with some dry ice you will be good for 30 hours
Thank you sir. Yes, I plan on "recouperating" for 2 days after I get back on dry land before heading to Texas.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
when I relocated from SoCal to Oregon, I put my chest freezers in the back of my truck and plugged them in at the hotel overnight.
If you have chest freezers (you should), maybe think about bringing them along, loading them as if they are ice chests and then plug them in overnight on the road.
You know Bill, thats exactly what I done numerous time in New Mexico while hunting Antelope (Goats). It was about 8 hours from the place we hunted from where I live, so we didnt have to get a room. Good suggestion, Thanks

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
Load the fillets and ice down to get close to 32F.....Then when you pass by a Walmart just dump the ice and add about an inch of newspaper and add a small layer of dry ice. Most Walmarts sell dry ice so you shouldn't need much and you can always pick more up along the way.... Way easier than messing with ice/water and draining the water off..... don't let fresh ice water spoil your fish....

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
important fact when you load your coolers bring some duct tape and tape the lid down and seal it it will help keep the air from entering the cooler and melting you ice

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
Duck tape or wrap old sleeping bags around outside of ice chests add installation helps.