Transporting Canadian lings and spot prawns by boat?

kenzmad

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Headed up to Lummi Island end of the month. Appears lings and shrimp are still open in area 18. I cant find anything in our regs that prohibits me from crossing back home. Am I missing something? Search here was not helpful.

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
No bueno! They will announce on the 21st if it is extended. Canada has taken covid so seriously, you could have serious consequences of you pass over to the Canadian side.

When the commercial fishing boats going to Alaska are transiting the outside of Vancouver island because they aren't allowed to go up the inside, you might want to at least call before you go. Just my $0.02.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
I’ve been back and forth many a time without reporting. Just keep your radar on and be ready to hammer down in a southerly direction.

Reactions: DEEP MAGIK

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
I’ve been back and forth many a time without reporting. Just keep your radar on and be ready to hammer down in a southerly direction.
Until they mark your radar signature and the CG catches you trying to play hide and seek.

I don't even think you can buy a Canadian saltwater license right now.

Why risk loosing your rights to fish Canada over a couple of fish.

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
Until they mark your radar signature and the CG catches you trying to play hide and seek.

I don't even think you can buy a Canadian saltwater license right now.

Why risk loosing your rights to fish Canada over a couple of fish.
Couldn't agree with this more. Don't fuck around with the international rules

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Was hoping the rules might be relaxed for us not interacting with canadians. But nope. Did find it on a border crossing site. Will just head south and put some crab in the boat.

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
I've been checking and calling every couple days since we are supposed to be in Nootka the second week of August. I even offered to boat up and have zero contact with anyone. A big fat no. Border closed means border closed...

brantlr

Sep 6, 2018
Sidney
Name
Ryan
Boat
Raider 2284
Your Canadian tidal fishing licenses are currently invalid. Even if you had one before they made them unavailable to 'Mericans, it is currently invalid until the border reopens. If you're going to poach, might as well do so on your side of the border.

Hopefully we can get this nonsense behind us so we can welcome you guys back up our way soon.

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Poach? Wow! Simple question was asked. Was always told y’all up north were friendly.

brantlr

Sep 6, 2018
Sidney
Name
Ryan
Boat
Raider 2284
I didn't imply you are a poacher, just informing you that unless you're a Canadian resident, that's what you'd be if you fish in Canadian waters right now... not to mention border restrictions. This nonsense is a mess of biblical proportions!

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
I used to do this back in April for my shrimp fix. Not so much this year as the border got shut right when I was ready to go.

IF the borders are opened then so long as you don’t throw an anchor it’s a relatively easy process that does not require customs.

upon re-entering with the shrimp and Ling cod...just know you can NOT stop until you get to your home port. I.e. no picking up crab pots on your way back in if you have you’re shrimp gear and shrimp on board.

Reactions: EJ Swanny

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
I didn't imply you are a poacher, just informing you that unless you're a Canadian resident, that's what you'd be if you fish in Canadian waters right now... not to mention border restrictions. This nonsense is a mess of biblical proportions!
Poaching across the border like all the Canadians that come down and fish The American side of the “border” at swiftsure.

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
Poaching across the border like all the Canadians that come down and fish The American side of the “border” at swiftsure.

Interesting comment considering I have fished up there every year (on the Canadian side with a Canadian license launching out of Neah) and I have never seen a canadian boat cross over to the US side. I've never even seen them encroach into the no mans zone between the US and Canada that I honestly have no clue who the hell owns as it's different on several maps. Not saying you haven't seen it but I've fished it alot and never seen it. Many of them however are not exactly friendly when they see you in your WA boat even though you are perfectly legal...

Reactions: fishing fanatic

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Damnit. Build the wall in the Straits!

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Jamie - You are not crossing the border if you don't touch land, anchor, or tie up to another boat at anchor. Last time I checked, BC fisheries are selling Non-Resident licenses. That means you. I've done it for going on ten years at Orcas. Used to be this silly SVRS (Small Vessel Reporting System). You would call in, tell them where you were crossing, they would give you a registration number. Waste of time.

Anyway, if I were up at Orcas right now, I would be going into BC everyday if I had a license. To each their own though. Just be safe.

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Still, as-of today;

C0484319-AE6A-4FD6-BDBF-76E2A843017B.png

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Jamie - You are not crossing the border if you don't touch land, anchor, or tie up to another boat at anchor. Last time I checked, BC fisheries are selling Non-Resident licenses. That means you. I've done it for going on ten years at Orcas. Used to be this silly SVRS (Small Vessel Reporting System). You would call in, tell them where you were crossing, they would give you a registration number. Waste of time.

Anyway, if I were up at Orcas right now, I would be going into BC everyday if I had a license. To each their own though. Just be safe.
You’re very wrong on this, innocent passage goes away once you start fishing. You can’t conduct espionage, pollute, or cause economic damage, or a bunch of other things either while in Canadian waters. If the boarder was open, it would be a different story (reporting system, etc). Go ahead and take your chances though, do you really want to risk being blacklisted from ever entering Canada again?

Last edited:

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'

you are wrong, they haven't sold a non resident license since march 21st, so you checked on or before march 20th. everything else is accurate

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
you are wrong, they haven't sold a non resident license since march 21st, so you checked on or before march 20th. everything else is accurate
You are absolutely correct Hooker. The first time I checked I "thought" I saw the "closure message" on the opening page for accessing resident and non-resident licenses (and/or Salmon Conservation Stamp). Last time I accessed it, a couple weeks ago, the message was gone, and the "Apply Now" button was showing/activated. I mistook that button activated as residents or non-residents could "Apply Now". After you activate the button, the message now shows up. It was my mistake and I feel bad for spewing disinformation.

However, whether the boarder is open or not, at least to my understanding, is a mute point. A vessel is not considered crossing the boarder if they do not touch land, anchor, or tie to a vessel that is anchored.

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
You are absolutely correct Hooker. The first time I checked I "thought" I saw the "closure message" on the opening page for accessing resident and non-resident licenses (and/or Salmon Conservation Stamp). Last time I accessed it, a couple weeks ago, the message was gone, and the "Apply Now" button was showing/activated. I mistook that button activated as residents or non-residents could "Apply Now". After you activate the button, the message now shows up. It was my mistake and I feel bad for spewing disinformation.

However, whether the boarder is open or not, at least to my understanding, is a mute point. A vessel is not considered crossing the boarder if they do not touch land, anchor, or tie to a vessel that is anchored.
Technically no but once you engage in an activity in those waters besides aimlessly wandering you have crossed the boarder. If that makes sense. Also take into consideration once you cross that magic line you are open to contact by Canadian Enforcement. And any ramifications they choose to enforce.