clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Those are gel coat stress cracks due to flexing of the transom. You could refinish it but will come back. Best way to handle it is to keep it waxed/water proofed. Permanent solution is to beef up the transom but not necessary at current stage nor would it be a worthwhile investment. Enjoy your boat. It looks like a great buy and with many years of service left.

Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
Those are gel coat stress cracks due to flexing of the transom. You could refinish it but will come back. Best way to handle it is to keep it waxed/water proofed. Permanent solution is to beef up the transom but not necessary at current stage nor would it be a worthwhile investment. Enjoy your boat. It looks like a great buy and with many years of service left.
What do you recommend for waterproofing? 5200?

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
My vote is no big deal -- but keep an eye on them. Gel coat is very brittle and would rather crack than flex. All materials, under a load, particularly a shock load, will flex, and if properly designed, no harm will come from that flexing. For example, wood (which your transom may be made of) is exactly like that. Tree branches couldn't survive otherwise.
Excellent point. Fiberglass boats flex and move a lot more than most people think.

Keitha

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 2, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
KA
Boat
18' Outrage
I would drill a small hole at the end of each crack, then patch and fill. The drill hole will keep the crack from spreading.

Reactions: EZYGOING

undone

Jan 11, 2016
WA
Name
Jody Wyse
Boat
Blue Wave
I’m not sure if Sea Chaser leaves the transom finish like that when new, if not, the texture means it’s been reworked at some time.

Cracks may mean nothing, or they could be the sign of problems that need attention.

Tapping on the surface with a hammer is an unreliable method of testing.

Your best bet is to route out a few cracks to see if they go all the to the core, if they do, the core is most likely wet. If the core isn’t affected, then refill the area with epoxy. This is very easy to do.

If the cracks go to the core and it’s wet, then you need to plan what the next step needs to be. Wet doesn’t mean it will fail soon, only that before to long it will need some attention.

If the core is beginning to rot (assuming it’s wood), then the plan needs to be a little more urgent.

Checking to see if there’s a problem is easy, trying to convince yourself there’s no problem without checking can be a nagging worry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacific Jigger

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
Just purchased this Sea Chaser 186 for fishing the bays. Great ride and condition for $9k.
Unfortunately I did not spot these before cracks before I purchased. The previous owner never used a transom saver, which I know is a hotly debated topic. Is there something I should do to repair? Get a transom saver?

These cracks are on both sides of the outboard. Dollar included for scale and metaphorical purposes ;)

View attachment 1084538 View attachment 1084539 View attachment 1084540 View attachment 1084541 View attachment 1084542 View attachment 1084543 View attachment 1084544 View attachment 1084545 View attachment 1084546 View attachment 1084547
Can you get feedback from the manufacturer?

Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
Based on what I've read from Sea Chaser the done use wood in the transoms. BUT I'm not sure what they do use haha. I'll be speaking with them this Monday.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
Try to get a moisture meter and check for water intrusion. You may find a surveyor that will take a look without a complete survey.
Once you determine if the transom is good, follow the instructions posted to open the crack and gelcote them closed. A good gelcote guy can work the area so it is invisible.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I’m not sure if Sea Chaser leaves the transom finish like that when new, if not, the texture means it’s been reworked at some time.

Cracks may mean nothing, or they could be the sign of problems that need attention.

Tapping on the surface with a hammer is an unreliable method of testing.

Your best bet is to route out a few cracks to see if they go all the to the core, if they do, the core is most likely wet. If the core isn’t affected, then refill the area with epoxy. This is very easy to do.

If the cracks go to the core and it’s wet, then you need to plan what the next step needs to be. Wet doesn’t mean it will fail soon, only that before to long it will need some attention.

If the core is beginning to rot (assuming it’s wood), then the plan needs to be a little more urgent.

Checking to see if there’s a problem is easy, trying to convince yourself there’s no problem without checking can be a nagging worry.
Having completely rebuilt 3 different glass boats, Undone's given you some really good advice. I'd do what he's suggested and then use a transom saver correctly going forward. With boats, as most things, the devil really is in the details.

Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
Thank you all so much for the help. I will keep you all posted with my findings. I'm going to Dremel out the cracks for further inspection. If all is well I will then fill with Marine RX.

Have seen a few other Sea Chasers online with a similar "failure". I believe it is cause by trailering without the saver.

Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
@undone youre very observant! After looking closer it does appear to have been repaired or refinished at one point. It only seems to be the top of the transom and no where else. Before I do anything I will be trailering it out to Lakeside to KMG repairs to have pro take a look. The boat runs unbelievable and takes on no water BUT I will be grounded until this is all resolved.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Just purchased this Sea Chaser 186 for fishing the bays. Great ride and condition for $9k.
Unfortunately I did not spot these before cracks before I purchased. The previous owner never used a transom saver, which I know is a hotly debated topic. Is there something I should do to repair? Get a transom saver?

These cracks are on both sides of the outboard. Dollar included for scale and metaphorical purposes ;)

View attachment 1084538 View attachment 1084539 View attachment 1084540 View attachment 1084541 View attachment 1084542 View attachment 1084543 View attachment 1084544 View attachment 1084545 View attachment 1084546 View attachment 1084547
Need some more pictures to determine it.

Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
Great news guys! Had Kevin at KMG boats in Lakeside take a look at the cracks at his shop... He confirmed they are in the gelcoat and that transom has clearly been worked on/repaired too. He also said the transom feels solid and that I should just keep a close eye on the cracks... Specifically if they change directions and/or start to get wider. He is a big fan of transom savers, and did mention that the cracks are gonna keep happening but are very normal.

Check out his boats on YouTube or his website, unbelievable workmanship. KMG Boats, Lakeside CA.