christo

Fishing Fool
Aug 31, 2010
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
14' Valco
Does it really matter what side the transducer is mounted on the transom? The reason I ask is that it would be easier for me to mount it on the port side (my prop turns clockwise) rather than the starboard side (which is where I want to mount a small bait tank). I've read conflicting information.

It's a 14' aluminum skiff with a 9.9 and on either side the transducer will be 12" away from the edge of the prop to the center of the transducer. I did mount hdpe board on either side of the transom to attach the items to in case I need to adjust their positions.

christo

Fishing Fool
Aug 31, 2010
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
14' Valco
Good, I figured so but thought I'd ask. I'll be getting it on the water soon to test it out.

Thanks for your help!

kokanee

Nov 5, 2003
Long Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
Sold it
You might want to keep your options open until after you test it. The installation instructions I have from Airmar say mount on the starboard.

riverplayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 5, 2006
Riverside
Name
Ed
Boat
Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
Dosent matter....I have two systems on our boat and we have a ducer mounted on both port and starboard.

christo

Fishing Fool
Aug 31, 2010
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
14' Valco
You might want to keep your options open until after you test it. The installation instructions I have from Airmar say mount on the starboard.
I will, after I get her out on the water and see if there are any issues at speed, anchored and on a drift. If there are any issues, I'll just change where it's mounted. I mounted two pieces of hdpe on either side of the transome so attaching/re-attaching items is easier to do (and not make any new holes in the transom).

The instructions didn't have anything regarding mounting the transducer or speed/temp sensor, only on how to mount the gps receiver and head unit. Lowrance's website showed mounting it on either side.

Thanks again everyone!

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
SAN DIEGO
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
theory is to keep away from prop wash cw port side ccw strb side. i don't think it really matters

christo

Fishing Fool
Aug 31, 2010
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
14' Valco
I'm getting good depth readings at speed (about 8-13mph) but the bottom structure detail isn't as great as when I'm drifting. Not sure if it has something to do with what side it's mounted on or just turbulence from the bottom of the boat. I have the transducer as low as possible.

Master Chief

Aug 18, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Name
Chad Lukehart
Boat
Alumacraft Navigator Sport 185, ETEC 150, Duckworth Offshore 26
The difference in the picture at speed and at drift has more to do with the Ping Speed and redraw rate, both which are adjustable in the menu's. When on plane running at cruise speed I adjust ping speed to max (100) and screen redraw to Max(100). should help get a little better pic at speed, just remember to slow it all down at drift as to get more time on screen to see whats down there.

christo

Fishing Fool
Aug 31, 2010
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
14' Valco
ok, thanks! I will try that next time I'm out. Right now I'm running it in auto mode with fish id off (lowrance).