Mtelectric

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2015
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
21' VIP
Need help on mounting locations for my transducer. I originally had my transducer mounted on the starboard side but when I replumbed my bait tank under my deck and installed the drain near the transducer it stopped working properly. I wasn't thinking the water draining would interfere. So I relocated the transducer on the port side not thinking again about the prop rotation. Is this ok? How far should it be from the prop? It seams to work fine. I also want to mount a Lss-2 transducer for side scan but now I don't know what to do. What do you think? Thanks

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
check out this app for Ipad....

iNstall

by Gemeco Marine Accessories

has a bunch of usefull stuff like mounting txdcrs....

Upvote 0

Mtelectric

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2015
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
21' VIP
Post pics from down looking upwards behind the boat.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
I certainly wouldn't put it on one of the lifting strakes like it is. Made that mistake.

Upvote 0

Mtelectric

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2015
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
21' VIP
Thanks for all your input. I took it out recently keeping it in its current location and was having mixed readings. The depth was way off and not working at some points. I have a lowrance ducer now not sure the model but should I swap to a P66 or maybe a through hull?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Ok so keep the transducer on the port side but move it towards the motor roughly 6"?
Where would I mount the LSS-2 transducer?
Don't know what is on the bottom of the hull as far as through hull fittings and scoops go but directly beneath the scupper drains on either side should be the best location.

If you take a picture of the bottom of your hull, we can pinpoint the location.

Upvote 0

Mtelectric

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2015
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
21' VIP
Don't know what is on the bottom of the hull as far as through hull fittings and scoops go but directly beneath the scupper drains on either side should be the best location.

If you take a picture of the bottom of your hull, we can pinpoint the location.

I will post a pic later but the only thing I have is the pickup for my bait tank and that is roughly 4" from the center of the haul. You can slightly see it if you zoom the first pic next to the lowest bunk

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I will post a pic later but the only thing I have is the pickup for my bait tank and that is roughly 4" from the center of the haul. You can slightly see it if you zoom the first pic next to the lowest bunk
I see it now, so directly beneath the scupper drains and about 1" towards the keel should be your optimal mounting point. If you went through hull, it would improve your imaging significantly but putting another hole in the boat usually isn't a good idea if avoidable.

Upvote 0

Mtelectric

Almost A Member
Sep 3, 2015
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
21' VIP
I see it now, so directly beneath the scupper drains and about 1" towards the keel should be your optimal mounting point. If you went through hull, it would improve your imaging significantly but putting another hole in the boat usually isn't a good idea if avoidable.

Sorry but are you refering to the keel of the motor? Does the ducer Need to be level or the same angle as the hull? How far up from the bottom of the hull does it need to be? Thanks again for all your help

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Sorry but are you refering to the keel of the motor? Does the ducer Need to be level or the same angle as the hull? How far up from the bottom of the hull does it need to be? Thanks again for all your help
I was referencing the keel of the hull. There are guides on Google that can give you more specific info on angle and things like that better than I can.

Upvote 0

Surg

SwordfishGear.com
  • Feb 2, 2004
    So Cal
    www.SwordfishGear.com
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    25' Monterey
    The ss ducer would be better closer to the center, but your OB will interfere with readings towards it. Just keep that in mind when you decide to run up on paddys. Scan them on the side that the SS transducer is on.

Upvote 0

Mtelectric

Almost A Member
    Sep 3, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    21' VIP
    I would have put it in a similar location on the strb side. You can put the SS Ducer on the Strb side now. Are you considering trim tabs in the future?

There's is a possibility that I will install trim tabs. I'm probably just gonna go with a B60 thru-hull ducer. If I do where should the SS ducer go?

Upvote 0

Surg

SwordfishGear.com
  • Feb 2, 2004
    So Cal
    www.SwordfishGear.com
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    25' Monterey
    Keep that in mind when mounting transducers. The Thru hull one should go in a similar location to your water pickup. Most likely in the Strb side. Trim Tabs are usually installed where your TM TD is currently (far to the outside). The SS would normally go between your motorwell drain and BT drain. Usually on the right side, but you already know that the splashing water might cause signal loss.

Upvote 0

Surg

SwordfishGear.com
  • Feb 2, 2004
    So Cal
    www.SwordfishGear.com
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    25' Monterey
    Would the SS ducer work on the port side? How far from the prop should it be?

It depends on the diameter of the prop, but away from its radius. The new one will have an install guide for you to reference...

I have seen them work on both sides, but the side with the down swing of the prop is preferred.

Upvote 0

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
    Feb 8, 2009
    www.spacex.com
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 open
    using your drain plug as a light socket? :eyepoppin

Upvote 0