Jailer-1

Tuna junkie
May 25, 2009
orting washington pierce county
Name
kevin
Boat
24ft. north river offshore, tuna junkie
I'm assuming you are going with 50/200 on the 1kw. I don't know the Lowrance but just talking frequencies if it were me I'd go with the 83/200. Run the 50 for your deeper stuff but at the same time maybe get some better resolution on the 83 for some of your deeper work. Then whatever machine you want to run the 200. The 83 would be just another added tool. Who knows you might be surprised the 83 could be that magical frequency. Commercially I've found 120 to be the magic one for certain fish (sole). It starts to fade at around 120 fathoms or so which by then we start to rely on our 38. I'm actually surprised at the 120 when we get in shallow I was thinking our 200 would start to show more but the 120 seems to show better or it's just me adjusting the machine but I've played with it a lot for several years.
Yep the 50/200 on the 1kw. I was thinking the same as what you said. thank's!

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
None of you guys talk about CHIRP, is that cause you are running older systems or you don't like CHIRP. because from my research I feel that I can get the performance that all of you talk about and want from a 300w, while only ones mentioned are 600-1000kw. I am curious if anyone runs CHIRP on the newer sonars? The New Garmin XS series is pretty cool, and has a lot of features. any thoughts?

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    For me it is a new $750 box and transducer to mount. I have Structure Sound already.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    None of you guys talk about CHIRP, is that cause you are running older systems or you don't like CHIRP. because from my research I feel that I can get the performance that all of you talk about and want from a 300w, while only ones mentioned are 600-1000kw. I am curious if anyone runs CHIRP on the newer sonars? The New Garmin XS series is pretty cool, and has a lot of features. any thoughts?
    I have the Raymarine CP450C Clear Pulse CHIRP sonar module with the Airmar TM265LH Transom Mount 1kw Chirp Transducer. So far so good but due to work I just didn't get to use it as much as I wanted to last year so I'm still reserving my opinions on it.

The Ducer is a big bastard for a transom mount but 3 Rivers Marine nailed it right on with the install. It doesn't lose signal at speed. We were marking bottom past 150 fathom at speed.

I only was able to make one tuna trip last fall so I'm not sure if we were marking fish overly well. On one bait stop we did think we were seeing a lot of activity underneath us though. I'm sure it needs some tweaking. Last fall salmon fishing out of Westport I got into an area with a fair amount of feed that was fairly high in the water column but was also marking specks (fish) deeper. I bypassed the feed level and went for the fish marks or what I though were fish marks. Limited quickly so I was pleased at that.

Here are a couple shots when fishing salmon last spring. I definitely have the gain cranked too high but this was my third or fourth time out salmon fishing with the new boat so I was just learning my way around the sounder.
    IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

Salmonater

Oct 10, 2008
    Tacoma,Wa US
    Name
    Jeff Norwood
    Boat
    31' North River Walkaround, Salmonater
    Ok, so heres the plan! Im going to listen to some of the advise I received on this post. I will keep my furuno system, and run the 1kw. thru hull transducer. I will then add a hds-9 gen 2 touch as a 2nd unit. So if im running the 260 on the furuno, should I run a 83/200 on the lowrance? Or still run a 50/200?
    Just don't run both units on the same frequency, they don't play well together when you do that.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
    Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Kevin,

One thing I did not see you mention after talking to FURUNO was do you plan to add the newer version of the Black Box that FURUNO uses as it will really get that 1000 watt transducer working at it's peak performance.

Can't wait to see the results.

WD.

Jailer-1

Tuna junkie
    May 25, 2009
    Name
    kevin
    Boat
    Kevin,

One thing I did not see you mention after talking to FURUNO was do you plan to add the newer version of the Black Box that FURUNO uses as it will really get that 1000 watt transducer working at it's peak performance. Can't wait to see the results.

WD.
    I will see what it looks like on my Dff-1 sounder first!

Last edited:

Jailer-1

Tuna junkie
    May 25, 2009
    Name
    kevin
    Boat
    quote="Wild Bill, post: 3356697, member: 128624"]As promised here are a couple of photos from the install of the SS164 I instated on a 2006 NR Seahawk OS. In the first pic it shows the webbing area that was hole sawed (4") to facilitate installation.
    View attachment 501392 View attachment 501393 View attachment 501394[/quote]
    steve, thanks for the photos! My boat has the exact same webbing. Did you just cut the whole and drop it in? Im assuming the ss-270 will fit there also as thats the one Im getting.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    steve, thanks for the photos! My boat has the exact same webbing. Did you just cut the whole and drop it in? Im assuming the ss-270 will fit there also as thats the one Im getting.[/quote]

The. SS270 appears to be a stem mount with fairing block so you might be blazing your own trail with the mounting. The SS 164 is made for trailered boats and does not protrude below hull much , so yeah a 4" hole and a little finesse and it goes in. Get on airmars great website and you can download installation instructions for any of their ducers. Let us know how it goes, that looks like a good one.

Jailer-1

Tuna junkie
    May 25, 2009
    Name
    kevin
    Boat
    steve, thanks for the photos! My boat has the exact same webbing. Did you just cut the whole and drop it in? Im assuming the ss-270 will fit there also as thats the one Im getting.

The. SS270 appears to be a stem mount with fairing block so you might be blazing your own trail with the mounting. The SS 164 is made for trailered boats and does not protrude below hull much , so yeah a 4" hole and a little finesse and it goes in. Get on airmars great website and you can download installation instructions for any of their ducers. Let us know how it goes, that looks like a good one.[/quote]
    Crap! They dont offer the 270 that would work, like you said. I guess I will have to go with the 164.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    The only other option is the separate 50/200 w pair one on each side in the webbing area but you are talking about more money. That is the route I will go next time unless I can be convinced chirp is the way to go.

Jailer-1

Tuna junkie
    May 25, 2009
    Name
    kevin
    Boat
    The only other option is the separate 50/200 w pair one on each side in the webbing area but you are talking about more money. That is the route I will go next time unless I can be convinced chirp is the way to go.
    I should be covered if I run the 164 on my furuno, and the 83/200 on my lowrance with the downscan also.

Jailer-1

Tuna junkie
    May 25, 2009
    Name
    kevin
    Boat
    Kevin, you will have better performance keeping your Furuno and upgrading to a 1k transducer. Furuno is just better!
    Over the weekend I purchased two Lowrance 10” gen II. I would have loved to have gone with Furno, but I did not have the coin. The performace of the Garmin that came with my boat was poor and could not really be upgraded, so it all had to be replaced.

Maybe it is just me, but through my own research I found a visual difference between a 600watt and 1K transducer no matter the power output of the unit. It’s only money…………..
    hey Lance, and the rest of you guys. I am ordering my 1kw ducer today for my Furuno. I will be running a 83/200 with side and down scan on the Lowrance. Which 1k ducer would you recommend for my furuno? A ss164 or ss264w. And if the ss264w, should I get the 50 or the 200? Thank's!

Last edited:

bigkahuna1028

Jul 25, 2009
    Stanwood
    Name
    Lance
    Boat
    23 Alumaweld SVP
    Not sure on that I haven't been fishing in that deep of water in Washington with that ducer. I know the ss164 works awesome that deep , that's what I ran up north.

Team Tom

Apr 6, 2010
    Marysville
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    26' Northriver
    Kevin, I just updated my electronics. Had some older Garmin gear and it could not be upgraded. I wanted to go with Furuno, but it was just not feasible for me. I ended up purchasing two 10" HDS gen II with an 80/200 260 transducer. I went with this transducer to keep it simple. I will have great sonar that will fish both shallow and deep water. Sure my system could be better by going with 264’s, but I doubt it would make a difference for me. Im not a technical fisherman once I leave the dock. I turn the thing on it shows the fish and I catch them or just follow you. LOL

easydoesit86

nubbie
    Apr 6, 2008
    lacey wa usa
    Name
    maarten
    Boat
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    I run the straight 200 hz wide beam. Have no problem hitting bottom at 800 ft when fishing. It seems when I'm on plan it'll crap out round 900 if the weathers decent. But I don't really care once I get to that point. I've hit the bottom out at 1300ft on time when I was stopped. Works great for Hali fishing, plus when I do lose bottom it finds it in seconds if I back trolling too fast