trailering vs dry storage vs slip in SD

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by cap_lr, Mar 16, 2008.

1. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    Hi Folks,

I'm new to PBing (and to San Diego) and am still weighing all my options before I drop a 'boat load' of dough a fishing boat in the next 3-6 months. Although I havn't found the boat I'm looking for yet - I do know that it will be a 25-28' pilot house like a Radon, Davis or Farallon.

Regardless of what boat finds me - it will be trailerable. However if I decide to trailer it, I will need to drop a couple Gs on a tow rig also. I live in Carmel Valley and would say that the vast majority of my trips will be out of Mission Bay and/or SD Bay (30mi roundtrip +/-). I'm pretty sure that my HOA rules prohibit boat's/RVs on the street so I'm looking at some alternatives and am looking for some real life input based on a)cost and b)ease of use.

So we're looking at three options:

1) trailering to and from a storage facility (need to buy tow rig + insurance + hassel)
    2) dry storage at a marina (if even avail in San Diego) &
    3) wet slip

I'm looking at using the rig as often as possible which, for me, might be 25-35 times/year. Time is definitely a premium for me but I'm also a frugal f*%# so I'm conflicted here. I would be extreemely grateful for any and all input here including estimates of annual dollar and hassel factor costs.

LR

2. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    I really like my boat on a trailer but only pay $85 a month for storage near my house and have 24/7 access including free sewage (toy box) and wash area. It's only a mile or so away. I get to load at home directly to the boat. Yep, the $50k truck pays for a lot of slip fees, divers, and other related expenses. I can drop my boat in any launch ramp and get 14mpg getting there. Lakes too.

But, I might go to a slip on a 35+ footer some time in the near future and buy a little boat for lakes and such. We'll see.

I can do my own underwater stuff and probably will for a while if I do this. I'll probably leave most of my gear on the boat and make sure it's insured WELL. At 30 miles away, you'll have a great place to drive down and spend the night.

The boats you are looking at are all great trailer boats. For the price, you could get a really nice slip boat. Something with a 13+' beam and inboards. I would not slip a I/O although many do without issue. I would slip an outboard but I'm leaning towards something with twin smokers and a genny.

I want something I can solo and run the boat from the same level as the rear deck. Fly's are cool as long as there is a lower station on the interior and possibly the deck. I don't want to have to jump down from a fly to handle stuff.

What else do you like to do?? Diving? Cruising? Chil'n at Cat?

Think of your boat all by itself. Offshore, that is one small piece of real estate.

BTW, I've experienced both and prefer a larger boat in a slip. A 13' beam on a 33' boat is a different world compared to a 9'-11' beam on a 33'. Give me a cart to load the trips food and clothes in and I'm good. Fuel is super cheap in Mex and that's where most of the fish are anyway. Or, just make it part of the trip if you have the range. Slow and easy for 3 days is better than a shot out and back in one....

3. Assalt Weapon

Assalt Weapon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2240SX
    If you are going to slip your boat permantly, or for more than a few weeks at a time, Then I would seriously only consider shaft driven boats..Outdrives require way to much maintenance to slip.

You dont have to have a $50K Truck...Get a used 3/4Ton for $8-10K,,,There are pro's and cons of trailering,,,but it is nice to launch were you want and be closer to the fish.

Storage,,,problem with most storage lots is Security...To many people I know have had there Boats and RV's broken into while in storage...My boat is right out side the Master Bedroom...Hidden behind some big trees...Due to the fact I live in a Culedesac...Most people dont even know its there.

4. MM2

MM2 thunnus

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    26'PACEMAKER SPORTFISHER "CORAZON"
    25'-30' slip is anywhere from $250.00-$480.00 a month and then the monthly service could run $50.00-$90.00 a month depending which harbor you choose!!! Don't get me wrong it is awesome too boogie down to the boat and be ready to go in a few minutes.. On the other hand you can fuel at the pump in the street, way less than Dana Point harbor, Also $300.00-$500.00 a month can afford you many other things in life like jewelry for the signifigant others in our lifes and when there happy we go fishing. You just have to weigh it out and do whats best for you. Good Luck!!!Charlie/MM2

5. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    we have out boat dry stored at a marina......nice to have it stored by the water and not too much more than storing it at a storage place away from the water. can launch it with my tacoma, or use friends bigger trucks if we wanna trailer it somewhere.

6. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    Campland on Mission Bay has trailer/boat dry storage and a boat ramp as wel as a marina. I'm not aware of too many other locations on the water in SD that also have space for dry storage.

Once you go to a wet slip it's hard to go back. I live close to our slip so I'll hang out at the marina more than I would if it was 30-45 minutes away. Every time I see the boats and trucks lined up a dana landing or SI ramp I'm glad I'm in a slip. It definitely costs more but it's way more convenient.

7. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    If you can afford it, slip it. Valid point on the insurance (i.e. outdrives). Much more convenient.

If can't afford, it's a whole lot cheaper on the trailer, especially the fuel costs. Proxmity to launch ramp is again, based on $$.

You may want to think about Embarcadero at Dana Point, parking in the main lot (T or X spots). bait is 24 hours and the runs to the tuna grounds, although a little longer, have a smoother ride due to compass heading. I pay $205 a month there (26 foot boat but paying for total overall length on trailer and motor kicked up) for unlimited use and all the water to clean I need.

Shad

8. SOUTHWEST

SOUTHWEST Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    27 Albemarle
    I've trailered and currently have a boat at a slip. It seems that if you are fishing a lot, just get the slip. If you aren't fishing a lot, perhaps get a low-cost dry storage facility. One downside of a slip is bottom paint, which is about $30 a foot every 3 years. Some marinas in San Diego Bay may require the new greenie paint, which is more.

One thing about the trucks is stopping them and the boat. I've been told one should have electric brakes vs. hydraulic brakes on their trucks, and I'm not sure if older trucks can be outfitted with electric brakes. Something to think about. Trucks aren't cheap to maintain, either. Yeah, used is better but right now you can get MSRP less $8k-13k. New includes warranties.

Should fuel prices sustain over $5 a gallon over a year, I think I will sell my 27 footer and get a 22-23 footer. I have a HOA storage facility close to my house for $75/month. The problem is it's only open 15 hrs. a day and I can't really park it outside my house without touching some red paint. I'm not sure 22-23 feet is satisfactory for fishing 30-60 miles offshore (had a 20 and that's why I have a 27 now), but a 8,000 lb. trailer and boat is easier to stop than a 10k plus one. At some point the footprint of the truck + boat becomes an issue on the highway and maneuvering it in the storage facility.

9. 78sharpshooter

78sharpshooter Newbie

Name:
    AC
    Boat:
    1988 Sea Ox 230 W/A bluewater
    Any truck with tail lights can be outfitted with electric brakes but on a boat trailer they will not last. They arent designed to hold up to salt water. Most all boat trailers have hydraulic brakes.

10. Steel Leader

Steel Leader Liquid Therapy

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    27' seastar flybridge diesel
    When I'm fishing my inflatable next to all the boat's in there slips I ask myself, Why the hell would anybody put there expensive boat in one of these things, in the elements, building barnacles, bird shit, sealions laying on the swim step, etc. Don't put a boat in a slip, you get raped for rent, fuel more so on dry land and your boat turns into a rusted out POS. in no time, like "it's a keeper" said, only shaft driven boats can really withstand sitting in the water full time and they barely can. If you have to store somewhere, that get's pricey too, sounds to me like your a perfect candidate for the "outer banks club"

11. SOUTHWEST

SOUTHWEST Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    27 Albemarle
    I am not knowledgeable enough to refute this statement, but Davis Boats recommends an electric over hydraulic brake for late model trucks (I am quoting direct from their pricing sheet). As I remember, the problem is related to downhill towing and automatic transmissions. The trailer hubs will get hot and throw grease all over. There may be other issues to address but they went over my head. Mr. Davis has a fix for the problems (granted $900). I'll get a little more detail at the Del Mar Show.

12. SOUTHWEST

SOUTHWEST Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    27 Albemarle
    I've slipped my boat for almost 11 years now. Prior to this, I trailered a boat for 8 years. I had free parking for my trialered boats; that situation is no longer available. If you have free parking and 7/24 access, without a question this is the best situation. Increasingly, this is an option for few. So you can slip it (not anywhere near as bad as you have mentioned based on my slip experience), keep it at Campland ($200 ? for rent, the reality of scarce resources and a growing population), or keep it away from the water at a HOA-type facility, Price Storage, etc. If you consider the sum of your storage fees, maintenance for the trailer, maintenance following "Schedule B" on your truck, plus the amortization of the costs of a truck and trailer, keeping a boat on land is not cheap either (remember, I haven't had to buy and maintain a truck and trailer for 11 years now).

Net-net, it's different strokes for different folks. I don't think there is a silver bullet.

13. Pau Hana

Pau Hana Fish murderer

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Pau Hana
    I had my 33' Owens At the Kona Kai in San Diego, and loved everyhting about it- except the $500 monthly fee + diver every 2 weeks + pricey fuel. Overall, a great experience.

When we were looking for a new boat up here in the great Northwest, we debated slip vs trailer, and decided to go trailer. We have room on the property to keep the boat at home, and it's nice to be able to step outside to work on it. Plus, there's a lauch ramp 15 minutes from the house to drop the boat into Puget Sound, and I had the vehicle to tow it already (Excursion).

Anything up to a 30' or so I'll keep on the trailer. Bigger than that goes into a slip.

14. Has the Embarcadero changed their hours. I had my boat in there a few years ago, but pulled it out because of the hours they kept. I found myself wanting to fish earlier then they opend the security gates and staying out longer then they were open. It was a pain in the butt.

15. 78sharpshooter

78sharpshooter Newbie

Name:
    AC
    Boat:
    1988 Sea Ox 230 W/A bluewater
    When I talked to a knowledgable guy at AROS trailer he said that the electric brake system works great but will not hold up in a boat trailer because the magnets or magnet holder will corrode very quickly.

16. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    I keep my boat in a slip during the fishing months, april to october, then keep in on a trailer at my home, I think that this is the best of both worlds. I have a bottom liner so I do not have to paint the bottom. and it works great. last year I was at marina village, this year i will be at seaworld marina, it's just seaworld in about 30% a month cheaper. that's my story and I'm stickin to it.... over and out

17. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    I keep my boat out in the X and T area (main lot) so not regulated by hours. Those that park inside behind the barbed wire are limited, but not me.

Shad

18. jimb517

jimb517 JimB517

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Catalina 25 Indiscipline
    Slip her, at least for April - October. You are planning to use the boat 30 times per year, that is a lot and if you are in the slip you'll go even more.

Its nice to have a trailer, too, and you can pull out for winter, to do maintenance, or to make a run up to the Channel Islands.

Come on down, join the crowd at Marina Village, Mission Bay. Nice group of people there. Just remember, you CAN get a slip now but it will be full, soon.

Launch ramps are not the place you want to be spending Memorial Day weekend or your birthday waiting in line. I trailered my first boat, then went to dry storage in Dana, then to a slip and I've never looked back.

If you are going to slip her you can go a little larger, too, you don't need a truck and trailer to maintain.

19. Any security issues out there so far. I know there seems to be a lot of tweeker types roaming around the area during the day. I'm guessing they get thicker at night. Any bad experiences so far?

20. Little Tiburon

Little Tiburon Registered User

Name:
    Andy Hayes
    Boat:
    20' Baja Bayrunner + Malibu Extreme Kayak
    slip it . . . .