tecateando

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2009
Ensenada, BC, MX
Name
Forrest
Boat
Parker 1801 CC, "La Mañanera"
We are heading south for a couple months and trying to decide between East Cape and Punta Mita. Has anyone trailered a boat down to Puerto Vallarta recently?

Also, any suggestions for where to moor my boat (18 foot Parker) in Punta Mita? The marina at Riviera Nayarit looks like a solid option, but we are going to be staying in Punta Mita and I would like to avoid driving half an hour the wrong direction.

---

Vamos a sur en unas semanas por un par de meses y estamos viendo si vamos a los cabos o punta mita. Alguien ha llevado una lancha (Parker de 18 pies) a Puerto Vallarta?

Tambien, donde puedo dejar mi lancha en Punta Mita. La marina Riviera Nayarit se ve bien, pero prefiero un lugar en Punta Mita que sea mas cerca el atún.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
The one harbor right at Punta Mita where Captain Lora keeps his boat has a lot of pangas. They don’t mind playing bumper boats to get into position. I’m sure there are a couple more options like the one you mentioned. Just a little further to blue water.

Reactions: tecateando

Mograth

Mar 18, 2012
Santa Barbara/ca/USA
Name
Grant
Boat
Radon27
punta mita is not really a harbor. La Cruz is and only a 15 min drive. also if you have it on a trailer you might just want to keep it where you are staying and launch it when needed?

Bullshipper

Jan 4, 2006
Yucaipa/San Carlos, Sonora
Name
Jeff
Boat
Prokat 26
I believe the Anclote breakwater is called a Darsena. The closest place you can rent a slip is at La Crux which I would guess is about 4 miles west of Anclote, or about 5 miles from the the 4 seasons resort ion the point named Punta Mita. I do not think the locals will allow you stat in their small overcrowded breakwater.
If I was going to anchor off the beach, I think that staying on the hull would be the only way to protect your gear from being stolen, and there is surf nearby, so the slip is the only way I would do it,. The Live Bait guys will be selling of La Crux in the morning too.

Corbetena rock is about 22 miles from La Crux, and el Banco is another 12 or so farther out, the Marias at least another 12 to the closest one.

The fish will be a lot bigger in PV than in San Jose de Cabos, but the grounds are farther out.The inshore fishing along Punta Mita can be great if you know what you are doing. The roads are also a lot better to PV, and its a much more interesting town than Cabos and San Jose.

But an 18' single engine hull for PV is too small for long offshore trips imo outside the bay. You need to carry lots of bait, and the baits are bigger than the little sardines you use to catch schoolies in Cabos. I would charter if wanting big game, especially on my first trip.

Last edited:

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
The fish will be a lot bigger in PV than in San Jose de Cabos, but the grounds are farther out.
But an 18' single engine hull for PV is too small for long offshore trips imo outside the bay. You need to carry lots of bait, and the baits are bigger than the little sardines you use to catch schoolies in Cabos. I would charter if wanting big game, especially on my first trip.
Going to take this thread a bit sideways but have the OP's best interest at heart. I spent six weeks along that coast last summer looking for a place to retire. The above statement is true, Banderas Bay is not a place for small boat in-shore or near shore fishing. If you are a big game hunter and only like going to Cow Town it's great but if you are a small boat guy like me just looking for some dorado or wahoo there are better choices. A few hours more drive time South will put you in Barra de Navidad, there is a huge beautiful bay/ lagoon and excellent near shore fishing. There is a BD guy here who lives there too so local knowledge. THAT is where you want to go with your 18 footer :)
There are even houses for rent along canals off the lagoon, like Florida. You can dock your boat in the back yard ! Downside is you don't get the "cosmopolitan chic" of Puerto Vallarta, it's pretty sleepy.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I believe the Anclote breakwater is called a Darsena. The closest place you can rent a slip is at La Crux which I would guess is about 4 miles west of Anclote, or about 5 miles from the the 4 seasons resort ion the point named Punta Mita. I do not think the locals will allow you stat in their small overcrowded breakwater.
If I was going to anchor off the beach, I think that staying on the hull would be the only way to protect your gear from being stolen, and there is surf nearby, so the slip is the only way I would do it,. The Live Bait guys will be selling of La Crux in the morning too.

Corbetena rock is about 22 miles from La Crux, and el Banco is another 12 or so farther out, the Marias at least another 12 to the closest one.

The fish will be a lot bigger in PV than in San Jose de Cabos, but the grounds are farther out.The inshore fishing along Punta Mita can be great if you know what you are doing. The roads are also a lot better to PV, and its a much more interesting town than Cabos and San Jose.

I’ll add a little more info or another opinion for the OP to consider... I agree with both above that for the most part your boat is an onshore only.... You could easily do Corbentania... 22 miles ain’t shot and lots of tiny pangas out there...

As for baits.... and the amount of bait.... and how many you will need..... that’s tough... not like San Diego or long range fishing. They charge per piece of bait and most all of the guys don’t take shit for bait! The charter will buy 10 or 20 baits for their small built in live wells.... I paid $4,000.00 for an overnight trip to Tres Maria’s with the Osuna’s and they bought 20 baits for their small live well.... I questioned if that was enough... Oh.. yeah yeah.. it’s good... we will also catch bait.... On the way out their generator stopped working and all bait died.. They said don’t worry we will catch bait.... Well.... then for bait we caught one trumpet fish... We fished dead bait all day.... evening we put out the trumpet fish and my wife caught a 130lb on that.....

The bait used in PV is the same bait used in Cabo... “Lisa’s” or “google eyes”.. They do not have sardines... But Cabo has had a real hard time with Sardines as well... I have fished San Jose (Gordo Banks) and we stopped for squid and chunked it up and caught fish.... Another trip out to Gordo there was no live bait available, we couldn’t catch bait, so we ended up using frozen bait... actually caught a 160lb fish... biggest of the day..

So if you hire a local... you won’t be taking much bait unless you really insist.... You will want to make sure you learn the way of the locals, troll artificials and drop baits when appropriate.... On the drift, it is fly line, kite and balloon.....

Moving to the future.... Now I actually have a boat in PV and fish Maria’s add the other places... last trip out we took 60 baits for a two day overnight trip... As we were finishing our second day, we still had bait left..... I threw them in the freezer to be used as chum on future trips....

Don’t expect lots of baits and lots of brailing baits to raise fish... just doesn’t happen... They make due with what they’ve got.... sometimes they catch bait, sometimes they catch squid....

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
wow, this post brings back memories.

probably not much of it is relevant today, but it was an adventure!

good luck down there. :)

Bullshipper

Jan 4, 2006
Yucaipa/San Carlos, Sonora
Name
Jeff
Boat
Prokat 26
I am gonna express another opinion about the fishing in Barra de Navidad.

I kept my boat in Barra for 6 years, and consider it a waste of time compared to PV. I caught fish, but they don't stay there on structure and when they come in they quickly get wiped out by the large Panga long long fleets in Barra, Melaque and Manzanillo that supply the Guadalajara fish markets. I would stay a week at a time, use guides, and this experience comes from around 40 week long trips.

The power generators in Manzanillo also seem to make the water hotter and dirtier, along with the cargo ships servicing Manzanillo. My best days in Barra were mediocre, and paled to the fishing out of PV.

PV on the other hand is a great fishery, world class in my opinion and after keeping my hull there for 5 years I can't say I was ever disappointed. Lots of inshore fishing for mahi, roosters, jacks, snook and mullet pargo on the off days when the water wouldn't let me go offshore in my 21 footer, or a friends 34 Bert. Much better places to eat, stay, a real airport and a large modern hospital infrastructure just in case you need that.

Imo.

Last edited:

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I am gonna express another opinion about the fishing in Barra de Navidad.

I keep my boat in Barra for 6 years, and consider it a waste of time, compared to PV. I caught fish, but they don't stay there on structure and when they come in the quickly get wiped out by the large Panga long long fleets in Barra, Melaque and Manzanillo that supply the Guadalajara fish markets. I would stay a week at a time, use guides, and this experience comes from around 40 week long trips. The power generators in Manzanillo also seem to make the water hotter and dirtier, along with the cargo ships servicing Manzanillo. My best days in Barra were mediocre, and paled to the fishing out of PV.

PV on the other hand is a great fishery, world class in my opinion and after keeping my hull there for 5 years I can't say I was ever disapointed. Lots of inshore fishing too for mahi, roosters, jacks, snook and mullet pargo on the off days when the water wouldn't let me go offshore in my 21 footer, or a friends 34 Bert. Much better places to eat, stay, a real airport and hospital infrastructure just in case you need that.

Imo.
Well hell, my week in Barra hardly compares to your six years, I bow down to you sir. So we are maybe back to talking about La Cruz? 8-)

tecateando

Jan 11, 2009
Ensenada, BC, MX
Name
Forrest
Boat
Parker 1801 CC, "La Mañanera"
thank you all so much for the advice.

my boat safely and usually comfortably fishes 40-50 miles out with the san diego sport boats; an 18' parker is a lot more boat than a panga, and in the very worst case it has fuel for a 250+ mile range so you can choose where to go in an emergency, nice electronics, safety gear, etc etc.

I'm 90% decided on La Cruz after a quickie down to Bahia de los Angeles. I take enough of a beating on the boat, I'd rather make the rest of it as easy as possible. I'll keep you all posted how it goes.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
thank you all so much for the advice.

my boat safely and usually comfortably fishes 40-50 miles out with the san diego sport boats; an 18' parker is a lot more boat than a panga, and in the very worst case it has fuel for a 250+ mile range so you can choose where to go in an emergency, nice electronics, safety gear, etc etc.

I'm 90% decided on La Cruz after a quickie down to Bahia de los Angeles. I take enough of a beating on the boat, I'd rather make the rest of it as easy as possible. I'll keep you all posted how it goes.
Have a great time! I’m headed down next Friday... and back the end of November/first part of December....