sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
The front cross member on my boat trailer broke at the welds. I am waiting for the manufacturer to provide a recommendation for a fix. I assume I just need to get it re-welded. Looking for a recommendation for a local trailer shop/welder folks have been happy with. The trailer manufacturer is in Idaho so looking for a little closer to home. I live in Redmond. It is a Galvanized trailer.

Upvote 0

Socket985

Almost A Member
Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat Name
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Try these two. Smiley's Pro Services in Mount Vernon WA. Ask for Dale. He's probably the best fab/trailer and hydraulic shop guy I've ever worked with. Their specialty is trailers and metal fabrication. He also restores old military rigs and such. He would also know how to fix it so it won't happen again. Another good one is the Fab Shop in Edgewood. They so busy, hard to get ahold of at times. Either of these two will take care of you.

Upvote 0

Deviant

• Apr 8, 2010
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    Boston Whaler Dauntless 180
    Welding galvanized metal is a bad thing healthwise. It can be done, but not good for the one who is doing the welding.
    Fabricate new with the intent of bolting and galvanize afterwards. Bolt together when part return from the galvanizer.
    My two cents....

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Good
    Boat Name
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
    B'ham WA
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat Name
    SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
    Welding galvanized metal is a bad thing healthwise. It can be done, but not good for the one who is doing the welding.
    Fabricate new with the intent of bolting and galvanize afterwards. Bolt together when part return from the galvanizer.
    My two cents....
    Galvanized metal is not an issue with a proper respirator and working in a well ventilated area. It is common place in industrial settings. Grind away (with the proper PPE) the galvanizing, weld, then spray cold galvanizing paint over it. You need to wear PPE for grinding and welding.

Reactions: Jasper H and G-Spot
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    When I was younger and welded for a living many projects were galvanized and welding it is not an issue at all…. A fan blowing the zinc fumes away if you’re lucky. Max rail waiting areas all over Portland made out of galvanized pipe welded by me are all over Portland… C. R. Brophies camper jacks, jack stands, and such as well…. All made from galvanized metal products….

OSHA does not require a regulator at all, so that tells you it’s not dire….OSHA requires ventilation, which is often just a fan pulling the fumes away. If you welded it all day long with no ventilation and worked close to your welds you could get a headache or more…. You’re talking about a couple of welds…. Easy Peasy…. No drama needed… 😳

Last edited:

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
  • May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    3 and counting!
    @G-Spot
    Quit welding after 15 years, had my blood checked and it was full of heavy metals. (Not good)

Guess it it true what they say a real metalman is!
    Gold in his teeth,
    Silver in his hair.
    and
    Lead in his ass!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    When I was younger and welded for a living many projects were galvanized and welding it is not an issue at all…. A fan blowing the zinc fumes away if you’re lucky. Max rail waiting areas all over Portland made out of galvanized pipe welded by me are all over Portland… C. R. Brophies camper jacks, jack stands, and such as well…. All made from galvanized metal products….
    @G-Spot, this explains a lot…😂

Anyway, I think the OP is looking for a shop to do it an not DIY, although a mobile welder might do the trick too if they know their way around a trailer’s stress points.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

Jasper H

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat Name
    30’ Osprey
    Galvanized metal is not an issue with a proper respirator and working in a well ventilated area. It is common place in industrial settings. Grind away (with the proper PPE) the galvanizing, weld, then spray cold galvanizing paint over it. You need to wear PPE for grinding and welding.

Add a cup milk like the old timers and your good to go.

Reactions: gabe0308 and G-Spot
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Shops are very busy right now so I ended up sandwiching each side of the cross member with 5/16” 4”x6” angle iron and thru bolting. I used short sections of 4x4 to take the weight off the the trailer before the failure point and 4 ratchet straps to suck everything back together before bolting. I was able to get the angle iron from online metals which shipped out of Seattle for $8 and was delivered next day, which is cheaper than I could drive there for. I talked to the trailer manufacturer again and they were really interested in me bringing the trailer to them to fix as they said they have never seen the welds break before. They will charge me for the fix as I am out of warranty and I really don't want to drive my trailer to Idaho so hoping by bolt job holds up.

57D27492-17FB-4C94-8B31-B3A1AB8FFE91.jpeg
    5E8CC989-4DDA-41D8-9CA2-F667980C0B06.jpeg
    775A178E-2171-455E-B317-AE64ABCC6F02.jpeg
    59377B89-69BC-4515-8383-74F0BE8940A1.jpeg

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    For cosmetic reasons the bolt head should have been on the outside and the nuts inside the rail…. That should hold nicely!

• Haha
    Reactions: bdrlgion
    Upvote 0

Latest posts