WaterOps

Almost A Member
Feb 25, 2011
Wa
Name
Ken
Boat
22ft
Converting trailer over to bunks, for those that have done this did you go with PT or non treated wood. Plan on just carpeting them for this year to see how it loads.

Thanks
Ken

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
I was wondering if PT was a better option. So when one of the PT bunks had failed due to a crack, I replaced it with Douglas Fir.

I currently have PT on the two inner bunks (14') and two DF on the outer bunks (10'). All four bunks covered with carpet with about one inch of the wood exposed on the bottom side. It's been six years and all four bunks are in great condition. I launch in saltwater about ten to 18 times per season.

When it's time to replace the bunks again, I'll probably use the wood that is cheaper in cost as I don't see any difference in reliability.

Last edited:

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
Not recommended for aluminum boats. The PT lumber has metals in it that are dissimilar to aluminum and can cause corrosion. PT is fine for FG boats.
Good point. I had to modify a bunk to give some space for my transducer and saw on my Pacific trailer the wood was untreated. Glass boat so it doesn't matter for me but I wonder if the manufacture does this on all of the trailers for this reason.

Reactions: goatram

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Would take a very long time for saltwater soaked wood to rot.

that being said I’d grab the PT unless you have aluminum.

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
I redid my bunks on my old trailer. I was told by a few pros to go Doug Fir non treated.

I did 4x8's and then put bunk slick cover over them that Happy Days sells. Tried to load picture but BD saying to big??

Anyways, worked great and looks clean.

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
Pressure treated lumber inhibits infestation by boring (as in drilling) organisms, not rot from immersion. So unless the lumber is subjected to long periods of direct contact with water where organisms can establish themselves, why use treated lumber?

Happy Daze

Grady Prick
May 17, 2011
Port Orchard Wa.
Name
Dave Johnson
Boat
24ft Grady White/16ft Moocher
Do not use preasure treated lumber it is made from Hemlock Fir and is not as strong as reg Doug Fir and it also has been compromised by the chemical and the holes put into it during the process and it flexes to much and can break. Carpet holds water and takes for ever to dry under a boat and has a lot of friction for launching and hauling. Cheers HD

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
I really like the way @Chtucker did his when he built his own trailer. If I remember correctly he used something like 1.5" x 6" aluminum stock and then bolts a slick plastic materials with counter sunk heads on the top. I will never rot and he had one hell of a trailer. Only saw the trail one day when I went up to help drill so holes in it but man it was a brick shit house all they way.

Edit: here is the link to his build. look at pages 2 and 4 to see his bunks. Not sure you want to go through all that but you will never replace a piece of wood again.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
Do not use preasure treated lumber it is made from Hemlock Fir and is not as strong as reg Doug Fir and it also has been compromised by the chemical and the holes put into it during the process and it flexes to much and can break. Carpet holds water and takes for ever to dry under a boat and has a lot of friction for launching and hauling. Cheers HD

Unless you're getting your PT from the east coast it's not Hemlock, it's Douglas Fir. I built docks and piers for years here in SoCal and it was always specified PTDF (Pressure Treated Douglas Fir) on the plans. You can either get it SFS (surfaced four sides) or incised. We used incised for under cribbing for better treatment penetration and SFS for decking, facia and hand rail material because of esthetics.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Unless you're getting your PT from the east coast it's not Hemlock, it's Douglas Fir. I built docks and piers for years here in SoCal and it was always specified PTDF (Pressure Treated Douglas Fir) on the plans. You can either get it SFS (surfaced four sides) or incised. We used incised for under cribbing for better treatment penetration and SFS for decking, facia and hand rail material because of esthetics.

100% wrong! Many many trees logged in the PNW and Canada are Hemlock... Fact is most lumber sold now is hem/fir... sold as fir.... As a builder I dealt with this regularly... I had a anal retentive client who specifically wanted to ensure his house had no hemlock, so we had to pay a premium to ensure all lumber was Douglas Fir.... Not sure what the East Coast grows, but Hemlock is all over the Northwest and this information is 100% incorrect...

As a dock builder you may want to educate yourself before you try to spout info to others... the reason your plans specify Douglas Fir is because it is a superior lumber, but ordering from a lumber yard if you do not specify Douglas Fir only.... you will get Hem/Fir which is a mixture of whatever the mill has...

Reactions: Happy Daze