Trailer Bunk Configuration

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Captain Decent, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Captain Decent

Captain Decent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    I’m trying to fit this trailer to the Bertram using the little info I could obtain about the hull dimensions. Here’s what I mocked up so far.

2 main beams outboard each side. Beams are 6x12 and about 7-1/2ft long each. I cut a 24 degree angle in the top to match the dead rise. I’ll probably cover them in carpet. There is a 16” gap between them for slings. Bolted directly to the axles and frame.

They are separate to allow adjustability to avoid strakes and whatnot.

The keel support is where I’m struggling. How much keel support should I put in? Does it need front and rear? I have to leave an opening in the front for the front sling.

I have mocked up some 4x4s but I’m thinking 2x6 laid flat on an adjustable bracket would be better. Where is a good source for bunk brackets like that?

Gonna have it lifted in to adjust the fit but later want to be able to float it on. Think it will work?

62DAEB01-4E6D-4DA4-A6AB-40916924F1D2.jpeg 77F3197D-29F0-407A-AEE4-3868BC3E6B71.jpeg

F3CD1A6C-87D4-494D-8CCE-1A680167F1F6.jpeg

2. Siv

Siv I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
  3. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    harbor marine has a decent selection of brackets, was just there and made a note to self about it, it was enough to strike a positive note when I saw the selection.

liltrouble likes this.
  4. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I would think the bunks should be spaced to line up with stringers and miss any strakes. I dont know Bertram, maybe you did.

My boat, the keel support and rollers is only to prevent keel from touching cross bars on trailer loading and unloading.

5. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Question: Have you looked at the trailer for the Bertram that Darrell runs? Maybe there isn’t one

6. liltrouble

liltrouble Member

Name:
    Shari
    Boat:
    Mr. Buttercup
    I would go with 2x6s for a little flex. your beams provide rigid support and having a second set of rigid support invites wearing of the gel coat as the trailer and boat flex when being towed.

I would put the inner bunks elevated on swivel brackets that can adjust to the angle of the hull as it sits in the trailer. you have a heavy glass boat and there will be some different line numbers when she sits. with my scow, i had some jacks and boards, lifted the boat a scoche and adjusted my bow supports up to the boat. The center bunks are on swivel bases that can move just enough to provide the most surface contact no matter how she is placed on.

Don't go for firm exact calculations as the lift operator may not drop it to spec every time.

And yes, harbor marine in Everett does have a lot of trailer parts.

7. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
  8. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    id be happy to show you what I learned with goat and doing my parker. you will want the center bunks with above mentioned brackets for sure. text me if you wanna some info. I also have howards trailer scale I can bring over.

also have one 72"x3"x3" al crossmember left and a 60" also, 100.00 bucks for both!

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Hold my rod?

Name:
    Kellen
    Boat:
    Carolina Classic 25 Tail Hooker
    I've got some heavy duty bunk brackets from ez loader you can have. They are beastly. They just need a little love. Or you can duplicate them much cheaper that you can buy them.

10. Captain Decent

Captain Decent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    I’d be interested what kind are they?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Hold my rod?

Name:
    Kellen
    Boat:
    Carolina Classic 25 Tail Hooker
    I can get a picture tonight but they are L shaped I think they are half inch plate, with half in mounting holes they are sold by ez loader