Trailer bunk bracket paint or replace?

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
Below are what all 4 of my bunk brackets look like. Some surface rust. None look like they're close to being structurally impaired. Got a spray can of cold galvanize. Was thinkin of trying to knock as much rust off them as possible and spray-galvanizing it. But then I wondered if they'd be hard for me to just replace on my own. Looks like brackets are not that expensive. Soliciting opinions on:

1. Clean/spray and buy some more life out of them?
2. Replace?
3. How easy are they to replace by yourself? If I did it myself, can you do it at the house with the boat still on the trailer? Maybe supporting/lifting the bunk with a jack while I replace the brackets 1 by 1?

IMG-3580.jpg
IMG-3579.jpg

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Run 'em till they fall off. Gonna take a while...

Reactions: Charts

salty nuts

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
I just ordered a set after 15 years. Mine are toast, BUT I painted them over a few times.

Use rust convertor, then hit with Rust oleum Bright Galvanized Spray. I pulled the boat off the trailer.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I say let em go.... You should see mine. haha
Seriously just surface rust, clean em up and paint over them. Looks like a project for the future, 5 or 10 years. A lot changes in those years.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Maybe the pictures I saw above are different than the others see. I see heavy electrolysis to the point where corrosion has eaten the bracket pretty good. On the one... you could recoat it. On the other....replace.

Also.... have seen boats with hull holes caused by owners trying to do it on the jack. What ever you decide (paint or replace) do it with the boat OFF THE TRAILER. Go to the lake... go to the river.... go to the harbor.... be prepared with all prefitted / completed materials and parts. Prepare metal parts....nuts and bolts with CORROSION X.... or LIQUID WRENCH. Get there and do it the right way. Don't forget to measure and mark before removal. Good.luck.

Reactions: sbsurfer and Charts

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
I just went through this. I sandblasted the rust and not the rest of the good galvanize. I then cold galvanized entire bracket and painted over with latex (as directed on galvanizing can directions). I also doubled up on the swivel brackets. I then replaced every bolt with 316 stainless bolts. We will see how it holds up over the next few years. My brackets were in far worse shape than yours. Check out POF 15 paint. If I were to do it again, I think this is the way I would go.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Mine were twice as worse. went to proline for two part epoxy paint. looks good now

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Before you use any cheap light weight zinc paint check this stuff out. It's like painting metal on the metal. I spent many hours in the past chipping away at the trailer rust before priming and painting which only lasted a short time. The rust converter stuff wasn't all that great either. I'm not affiliated with this paint but I wish I would have found out about it when my trailer first started to rust, it's all I use now.