Trailer brakes

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
Nanoose Bay, BC
Name
FarPoint
Boat Name
28 Skipjack, 733 Zodiac Hurricane
Went to service / rebuild the trailer bearings and brakes under a 17 Montauk.
Decided on all new parts. Bearings, seals, complete backing plate assys., drums and complete fluid flush.
Got kinda scared off one supplier that was offering bearings at about $3.00. Turns out all his parts were offshore parts.
Tried a local auto supply chain, and got everything I needed under the Dexter brand. And clearly marked made in USA.
I’m not sure if this was NOS stuff, and where Dexter is sourcing parts now - but I was certainly pleased to be able to access North American made parts.
The apparent quality difference was astounding, the drum/bearing/seal kit was 100% complete, and everything fit!
Dexter has done some great custom work for me in the past - I hope they continue their level of quality.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat Name
Good Deal
I think the really question is why would you need trailer brakes for a 17ft boat! Lol. Glad you got your parts. I just did the same on my trailer.

0805BB9B-D551-44D9-9E7F-BFB1754C6717.jpeg

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat Name
Aquasport 215DC
I think the really question is why would you need trailer brakes for a 17ft boat! Lol. Glad you got your parts. I just did the same on my trailer.

View attachment 1390528
Was just thinking the exact same thing. Unless you are towing that whaler with a motorcycle skip on the brakes and spend the money on fishing gear. Brakes on a saltwater boat are just another high Maintenance item

Reactions: hawkplayer32
Upvote 0

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
Nanoose Bay, BC
Name
FarPoint
Boat Name
You’re right, no brakes is OK behind a pickup, but we have some pretty tough terrain and therefore tough trailering regs here. Some don’t go by them. Or know them. Some learn the hard way. This wouldn’t be legal behind a lighter vehicle without brakes.
This is a well cared for 20+ year old boat / trailer combo. Always flushed after use. Brakes just started acting up recently. Bought everything new so I’m all in at about $400.00. Didn’t bother with shoes, springs, cylinders, turning drums. Tossed it all. Installed new. Barely got my hands dirty.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat Name
No Boat Now
Towed my 17' Montauk behind a mini truck for ten plus years with no trailer brakes never had a problem....bought the rig new the trailer did not come with brakes...

Upvote 0

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
Nanoose Bay, BC
Name
FarPoint
Boat Name
Why drums over disc?
Easy. Fast. Got enough issues getting original configuration parts these days. And the originals lasted 20 years.
However - I will be going disc next season on the 28 Skipjack. Unit came with drums, and I upgraded the surge brakes to electric /hydraulic. Works great.
when they’re dry. First few stops are kinda interesting.
Discs coming up!!!!

Reactions: KID CREOLE
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat Name
No Boat Now
Easy. Fast. Got enough issues getting original configuration parts these days. And the originals lasted 20 years.
However - I will be going disc next season on the 28 Skipjack. Unit came with drums, and I upgraded the surge brakes to electric /hydraulic. Works great.
when they’re dry. First few stops are kinda interesting.
Discs coming up!!!!
why

Upvote 0

newmar

Almost A Member
Jun 10, 2005
spring valley
Name
bruce
Boat Name
23 blackman /Polkboat
I would suggest a different attitude on trailer brakes, I believe an over 3500 lb trailer has a requirement for brakes. 7K. 2 axles, doesn't matter F350 or FWD minivan.. If you are in an at fault accident you can and probably will be sued for negligence. I am familiar with 2 instances where this has occurred. [ so cal anyway] if it can shown that working brakes could have helped avoid or minimize the damage resulting from an accident. I wont voluntarily give my money to some [excuse my prejudice] effing ambulance chasing Atty. JMO.

Reactions: Kwohlers8
Upvote 0

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
Nanoose Bay, BC
Name
FarPoint
Boat Name
I would suggest a different attitude on trailer brakes, I believe an over 3500 lb trailer has a requirement for brakes. 7K. 2 axles, doesn't matter F350 or FWD minivan.. If you are in an at fault accident you can and probably will be sued for negligence. I am familiar with 2 instances where this has occurred. [ so cal anyway] if it can shown that working brakes could have helped avoid or minimize the damage resulting from an accident. I wont voluntarily give my money to some [excuse my prejudice] effing ambulance chasing Atty. JMO.
I agree 100%. Our regs are tough here. Few abide by them.

Upvote 0